Wednesday Landscapes, 5 May 2021

Discussion in 'Landscape' started by Leslie Reid, May 5, 2021.

1. Too much empty space on top. Looking at both again, I am inclined to crop a little less than what Glenn did - just take a little more than half off the top of the image. Why have almost 1/4 of the image filled with nothing? I would rather like to see a bit more of the foreground.

Ludmilla likes this.
  2. Breathing room?

Negative space?

LINK? [This may or may not pertain for you to this particular photo. I understand it might not. But, in a lot of cases, there can be something said for swaths of a photo filled with nothing, which actually isn't usually nothing at all.]

Ludmilla likes this.
  3. And sometimes it's just a distraction.

Ludmilla likes this.
  4. Absolutely. You had asked why 1/4 of a photo might be filled with nothing and I thought the article provided some answers to that specific question. The caveat I also provided was that it might not work for you in this case. I did understand both your question and your opinion of the photo.

Ludmilla likes this.
  5. I think distracting, along with interesting and boring, is among the most overused adjectives in comments about a photo.

6. Grand Prismatic Spring Shoreline, Yellowstone NP

[​IMG]

7. Thanks for the comments, Sam and Dieter.

I can think of both the sky and the dark foreground wheat field as negative spaces that provide space around the central third of my photo, which, I think, is where the main subjects and interest lies. So, if I crop the sky in the first image just a little more, so that the sky area is similar to the foreground area, I think that the photo appears more balanced. I agree that I overdid the crop in my second version.

The photo was taken on a beautiful sunny morning following a day of rain, producing the fog. My memory of the scene was one of peace and tranquility, rather than drama, hence my desire for balance.

8. Western North Carolina

816985AC-8538-4CF2-B133-834321F6461B.jpeg

9. Hot Springs, Yelllowstone N.P.

8BFBEE8B-7EDE-48DE-9AEE-E28C0B09029E.jpeg

10. My shot is the gleniff horseshoe in Sligo- just the other side of the hill from Ed’s shot of Ben bulben