Wednesday Landscapes, 5 May 2021

Discussion in 'Landscape' started by Leslie Reid, May 5, 2021.

1. You are invited to upload one or more of your landscape photos and, if you’d like, to accompany your image with some commentary: challenges you faced in making the image? your intent for the image? settings? post-processing decisions? why you did what you did? the place and time? or an aspect you’d like feedback on? And please feel free to ask questions of others who have posted images or to join the discussion. If you don’t feel like using words, that’s OK too—unaccompanied images (or unaccompanied words, for that matter) are also very much welcomed. As for the technicalities, the usual forum guidelines apply: files < 1 MB; image size <1000 px maximum dimension.

Here’s a rather odd forest on New Zealand’s North Island. I think its components represent four continents, with the only indigenous vegetation being the shrubby yellow-green patch to the left of the Monterey pine. (scanned Kodachrome transparency)

ZC04-2016-06-24-Ksl_0006-3.jpg

2. I always try to learn something of the history and geology of places I visit. Unfortunately it's often after the fact. This is a less expansive view of Ben Bulben in NW Ireland. The geology is striking, and the history no less so. In 1922, six IRA soldiers were cornered and killed, after surrendering, on its slopes. The countryside of Ireland is beautiful, but poses several challenges to (some) photographers. Country roads are bordered by 6' hedges, with few breaks. The sky is generally cloudy (in March), so occasional bright patches, as in this photo, are welcome. Finally, at my age I look for spots within a few hundred feet of the car. That given, Ireland does not disappoint.

_A7R8470_AuroraHDR2019-edit.jpg

3. Shot in SW North Carolina at the summit of the Norton Overlook

n c .jpg

4. Palace of the Governors in the dawn mists
    Uxmal, Yucatan
    Yucatan-Uxmal-Pal-of-Governor-dawn-^S.jpg
    Rollei 35 w GAF500 slide film

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  5. One more . . . from the NW area of the Big Cypress Swamp in south Florida

big cyp.jpg

6. antelope road foggy landscape.jpg
    Rural road in fog, eastern Idaho

7. Wonderful image! I'd crop it to eliminate most of the empty sky on top.

[​IMG]Coastal Fog

8. 74646D00-D95E-42F3-AA1A-F0D5F65E2662.jpeg Not far from Ed’s shot

9. foggy landscape antelope flat road.jpg

10. I definitely prefer the first one. Clouds need space

Gerald Cafferty and samstevens like this.
  11. That’s exactly what I had in mind - very much prefer the panoramic crop here.

12. Why?

13. I prefer the first one as well. They're quite different to me. With more of the sky cropped out, it's got a heavier feel, perhaps bordering on oppressive. The first one allows for drama. The cropped version forces it.

Ludmilla likes this.
  14. pigeon-point-lighthouse-2_6005-ww.jpg
    pigeon point lighthouse, pescadero, ca