Wednesday Landscapes, 4 July 2018

Discussion in 'Landscape' started by Leslie Reid, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Yes, Michael, I did, and I read it with great interest. I'm not familiar with it, and have never seen it in the dark. Honestly, I'm not in the woods in the dark much anymore. (though I'm often either in the woods, or in the dark :rolleyes:). When I find the time I'll do some looking around to see if it lives around my area.(eastern PA). I've not even heard anyone around here mention it. I'm not surprised that bioluminescent lichens are out there, and from your description, it sounds very cool. It would look great under blue light, but that's a different landscape photo, for sure.

michaellinder likes this.
  2. I remember seeing bioluminescent rotting wood (not sure what species). People used to gather it and place it at a boat launching site to guide them back if canoeing at night.

Leslie Reid and michaellinder like this.
  3. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

Hmm... not a bad idea...
    for humans...
    [​IMG]

4. Greg, I'm very impressed by the color image; the b&w doesn't work for me as much.

5. That is really interesting! It's probably from the same wood-rotting fungus that creates Michael's foxfire--I've never seen it, but I keep searching. But we're woefully lacking in fireflies out here on the other coast--we've got the genus and they glow, but only in their larval form as "glow-worms"--nowhere near as magical as a backyard filled with flying lanterns.
    and I would have tagged Michael and Debbie, too, if there had been something taggable in the posts--for some reason I'm particularly enjoying the B&Ws this week (which isn't to say I'm not enjoying the rest, too!) Hmm. I may be doing some B&W conversions over the next few days...

6. Michael was referring to a lichen, not fungi per se. (yes, yes, I know that lichens are a symbiosis of algae and fungi, so don't anyone hit me with wet noodles ;)) There are many species of bioluminescent fungi, and the mycelium will have that quality also. That would account for glowing rotting logs. Any of it would make for interesting landscape photos.

7. (Leslie): That is really interesting! It's probably from the same wood-rotting fungus that creates Michael's foxfire

(Laura:): Michael was referring to a lichen, not fungi per se. (yes, yes, I know that lichens are a symbiosis of algae and fungi, so don't anyone hit me with wet noodles ;)) There are many species of bioluminescent fungi, and the mycelium will have that quality also. That would account for glowing rotting logs. Any of it would make for interesting landscape photos.

(Me): Each of you are considerably more advanced in biology than me. I've learned a lot from you. Thanks!

Leslie Reid and Laura Weishaupt like this.
  8. Thank you Michael.