Wednesday Landscapes, 29 August 2018

Discussion in 'Landscape' started by Leslie Reid, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

2. Glacier N.P., Montana. (Rollieflex 3.5F 75mm f/3.5 Schneider Xenotar)

image.jpeg

3. Glacier N.P., Montana. (Rollieflex 3.5F 75mm f/3.5 Schneider Xenotar)

image.jpeg

4. Glacier N.P., Montana. (Canham DLC, 90mm f8 Schneider Super Angulon, FP4+, PMK Pyro)

image.jpeg

michaellinder and Glenn McCreery like this.
  5. I cannot resist a challenge!
    Here’s a B&W version, done in Lightroom. I like it.
    D01-_MG_2626.jpg
    The puzzles I ran into mostly involved figuring out how to re-balance foreground, mid-ground, and background:

(1) the slight color differences within the foreground vegetation had added a perceived element of texture that wasn’t supported by tonal values alone, so I added a gradient at the bottom that increased contrast and clarity.

(2) the difference in color between the apple trees and the meadow vegetation had made the apple trees stand out a lot from the meadow. This contrast also was not supported well by the initial B&W tones, so I reduced luminance in the orange range. That darkened the meadow but left the apple trees untouched.

(3) in the color version, the blue-greens of the background trees reduced the importance of the light on their upper limbs so that they weren’t competing directly with the yellow-green apple trees. In the B&W version, the light tones up there drew too much attention, so I used a gradient to reduce highlights at the top of the frame.

And finally, I took advantage of the fact that violet hues showed up mostly in the trunk and branches of the largest apple tree: I increased luminance in the violets to make the trunk and branches stand out a bit more, and then brushed in increased clarity and lightened shadows on the trunk and branches to increase the effect.

I then did the same things to a second image, shot from a different angle. In the color version, I preferred the first frame. In B&W, though, I’m thinking the second might have the edge, and I’m trying to figure out why. My guess is that in the color version, a small area of saturated color immediately becomes the star player. In B&W, although an area of contrasting tonal value has the makings of a star, texture becomes more than just a bit player, so it requires a higher proportion of apple tree to compete successfully with the meadow.
    D01-_MG_2715-2.jpg

6. Right turn into the storm. Just goes to show how small a commercial jet really is.

With the Leica Monochrome M246 and 90mm f2 APO Summicron.

[​IMG]

and late summer blooms. Same camera, with the 135mm f3.4 APO Telyt.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Leslie Reid likes this.