Wednesday Landscapes, 19 September 2018

Discussion in 'Landscape' started by Leslie Reid, Sep 19, 2018.

1. You are invited to upload one or more of your landscape photos and, if you’d like, to accompany your image with some commentary: challenges you faced in making the image? your intent for the image? settings? post-processing decisions? why you did what you did? the place and time? or an aspect you’d like feedback on? And please feel free to ask questions of others who have posted images or to join the discussion. If you don’t feel like using words, that’s OK too—unaccompanied images (or unaccompanied words, for that matter) are also very much welcomed. As for the technicalities, the usual forum guidelines apply: files < 1 MB; image size <1000 px maximum dimension.

I find I keep exploring this idea because it’s so much fun to play with: the dueling white balance. This is from a beach that I particularly enjoy in the winter, when the sun is rising far to the south. Sunrise hits the warm-toned bluffs northwest of the beach while the beach itself is still in the deep shade of the bluffs to the south. As a result, everything in the foreground has a blue color cast, while the background has warm cast. Here the effect is intensified because of the reflection of the intense blue morning sky. Because the blues and oranges are near-complements of one another, both colors appear to be more saturated than they would be in isolation.

D04-_MG_2141.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  2. Summer, Rio Grande Gorge, Taos, New Mexico. (Deardorff 8x10, Nikkor 150mm f/8 SW, FP4+, PMK Pyro)
    image.jpeg

Winter, Rio Grande Gorge, Taos, New Mexico.
    image.jpeg

3. Canon IXUS 960 IS

Escarpment landscape 2.jpg

4. Eos with EOS
    Eos-with-EOS.jpg

5. 08174528-5AC8-43F5-B58C-BFA2856D0521.jpeg

6. The landscape of winter blue sky, conifers for green, and hardwoods for brown/gold tones provide many of the same colors as in the opener. The reflection bends around rocks in running water creating an abstract landscape of light and dark. Taken downstream from Dingman's Falls in the Delaware Water Gap, the upper walls of the canyon were bathed in light while the water was in shade. At the same time a large area of trees and sky was condensed into a small space. How many creatures can you find in the lines? The only adjustment to the image was white balance temperature.

Landscape 9-18-18.JPG

7. sunrise reflections hendrys beach s.jpg Sunrise reflections

8. LakeConway062018_10_1.jpg
    I shot this after work about 7:30 AM back in June. There where large trees behind so the water in the foreground was very much in the shade making it a very dark blue and that is what I liked most about the seen when I shot this. After reading Leslie explanation I thought of this image and maybe the complementary colors had something to do with it also.

9. Taken at the St. John River, St. John, New Brunswick fullsizeoutput_29c2copy.jpg

10. Peggy's Cove (Nova Scotia) lighthouse fullsizeoutput_2935copy.jpg

11. Mike, where did you shoot this?

12. Brian, I was quite taken by your image's POV. Initially, I thought you used a fisheye. (Did you?)

13. From the Masada tramway
    masada_tram.jpg

...with the Dead Sea on the other side
    deadsea1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  14. Thank you Michael. The image was a set of four vertical/portrait shots which I merged in Lightroom. The lens was a Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 set at 19 mm, 1/400 sec @ f/8. The camera was a Nikon D750. The location was Malibu, California.

michaellinder likes this.
  15. Michael,
    This image is on Lake Conway just out side of Conway, Arkansas my home town.

michaellinder likes this.