Wednesday Landscapes, 16 January 2019

Leslie Reid

You are invited to upload one or more of your landscape photos and, if you’d like, to accompany your image with some commentary: challenges you faced in making the image? your intent for the image? settings? post-processing decisions? why you did what you did? the place and time? or an aspect you’d like feedback on? And please feel free to ask questions of others who have posted images or to join the discussion. If you don’t feel like using words, that’s OK too—unaccompanied images (or unaccompanied words, for that matter) are also very much welcomed. As for the technicalities, the usual forum guidelines apply: files < 1 MB; image size <1000 px maximum dimension.

Every year or so I go on a pilgrimage of atonement to make up for all those power-lines and transmission towers that I’ve cloned out of landscape photos. It turns out to be a good challenge, and it definitely makes me more aware of the image potential for the annoying “static” in otherwise pristine landscapes. (And if you want to see what may be my favorite power-line photo ever, take a look at Glenn McCreery’s photo from the 31 Oct 2018 Wednesday Landscape thread).

D03-_MG_9385.jpg.74f78e5cca1576b91d0945cee2e4522a.jpg

• Like 5

Yes, Glenn McCreery's image cited above is beyond excellent.

Here's one in line with the idea of dealing with the ever present stuff that we don't want to photograph. There are many of these huge concrete things out in the Ma-Lel Dunes in Humboldt county, CA. I have no idea what they are, but they have an impact on the scenery. I came upon this one and the message set well with me, especially on that day. I thought, "OK, I can live with this". Sometimes it's best to embrace the absurd side of landscape photography.

1111605520_Ma-Leldunes1.thumb.JPG.5e613887e7602283e8a52eb943f2c4cc.JPG

• Like 5

1172305777_windturbiness.thumb.jpg.79f54b688bb232ebab209d1f84f81d79.jpg

Wow, thanks for the compliments Leslie and Laura. When I was looking through my landscape postings for 2018 to find my favorite, I did not think of that power line photo. I remember that I was mostly trying to avoid getting the power lines "spoiling" my photos of the wind turbines, so I hiked out into the wheat field to get them out of sight. The photo with the power lines was taken as a kind of afterthought when I got back to my car.

Sometimes I tend to evaluate my own photographs by how by how much effort I put into them and by how they compare with my previsualizations. Getting independent opinions is always valuable, and sometimes surprising.

• Like 5