Wednesday Landscapes, 10 July 2019

Leslie Reid

You are invited to upload one or more of your landscape photos and, if you’d like, to accompany your image with some commentary: challenges you faced in making the image? your intent for the image? settings? post-processing decisions? why you did what you did? the place and time? or an aspect you’d like feedback on? And please feel free to ask questions of others who have posted images or to join the discussion. If you don’t feel like using words, that’s OK too—unaccompanied images (or unaccompanied words, for that matter) are also very much welcomed. As for the technicalities, the usual forum guidelines apply: files < 1 MB; image size <1000 px maximum dimension.

Here’s a second image from last week’s walk by the river, this one taken a few feet from last week’s image (which I’ll explain in another post).

D06-_MG_3341.jpg.7f74dc93ec63f215103a69fa91a08b40.jpg

• Like 5

The image on the left was taken about 1.5 hr before last week’s image (hence the cloudy sky) and shows the context. The peculiar issue with last week’s image (on the right) is that the dark vertical reflections in the near water are also present in the background water, implying that the objects being reflected should have their base at about river level, which they clearly don’t. The context photo adds another peculiarity: the only portions of the bridge that are consistently reflected are the vertical lines, even though the horizontal and diagonal components of the bridge clearly dominate the structure itself. I think both of these oddities are caused by the geometry of the horizontally oriented ripples: a large portion of each ripple is oriented in such a way as to reflect parts of a long vertical line, while only a small sliver will reflect a horizontal line.

D06-_MG_3275-Edit.jpg.7fa00b74039b595df7d318acae687afd.jpg

• Like 5

@laura: best use of a circular fisheye I've seen! Superb image!

High praise, indeed. Thank you.

It was hard to find a place to lay down on the forest floor, get trees from the ground up and still keep my feet our of the frame. The floor in this forest, as I'm sure you're aware, is like thick carpet compared to boot eating Rocksylvania. Carpet is much easier to lay on, so getting the image was a pleasure.

• Like 4

Very nice scanning job Sally. I’m working on my scanning process and can appreciate a nice one when I see it.

Thanks. Due to sheer volume (hundreds of rolls of film), I'm not being as careful as I should but post-scan touch-ups on a selected few are quick and easy.