the money? The lowest package is only $50.00 a year, but the

package that has your website listed is $12.00 a month. What do you

think? I signed up a loooong time ago for a free listing and since

then I get an email from them at least three times a day saying a

prospect just viewed my info... blah, blah, blah, and that I need to

upgrade so they can get the link for my website. Thanks for any

input.

Colleen

We have been on WEDJ.com since we "officially" opened the business a little of over 2 years. We started at the free listing and as the business grew so did our add on WEDJ. We are not at the top listing, I forget the name. We have had great success with it. I would say probably 70%, or more, of our bookings come from WEDJ, I have never had any problems with them. I will most likely sign up again when our current contract is up.

I would suggest you contact others in your area to see what kind of success they have had. I have heard from others that the usefulness of Wedj is a regional thing.

Feel free to e-mail if you have any more specific questions.

Good Luck,

Edward, why are you sceptical of sites that ask for money? weDJ.com is probably a business and is operated for a profit. I use PBase.com to hold my photo galleries, and I gladly pay a yearly fee. Even Photo.net requires a subscription fee (but it's voluntary). Perhaps we could also say, "I'm sceptical of wedding photographers who ask for money." That's what businesses are for: to make money.

Colleen, I have no info on weDJ.com but I am looking for a good site that will host my website with high wedding client traffic.

I'm sceptical of bait 'n' switch sites.

"Here's something for FREE! Oh look, someone wanted to contact you. We can't prove it so you'll just have to take our word for it. Give us money and next time the person will be able to peruse your web site, after which the person will hire someone cheaper than you."

WeDJ.com is not a bait & switch site. I knew when I signed up for free that in order to have your website link on the listing you had to pay for a membership. I was just wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade. I was asking how much business people actualy got from weDJ.com after they had signed up. Todd, I don't have any recomendations. I live right in between Spokane, WA., and Seattle, WA. Small town USA. I've done most of my advertising locally and that's where I've gotten all my business from. Actually, I'd say 90% comes from word of mouth and the rest comes out of the phone book. I'd really like to find a way to expand.

Maybe I missed something but I read this in their mission statement:

"Offer FREE listing to all DJ's and Photographers which includes your company name, a short description, FREE link to your webpage*, and a targeted listing in the state and county of your choice. New accounts are instantly added - not in days, or even weeks like other search sites."

"Optional Premium listings target your service to multiple counties in your selected state. Your listing also appears at the top of state and county listings in a bolded title with graphic."

If it is just a link link you are after with a low placement it seems to be free, whereas multiple counties and a higher ranking seems to be subscription based.

I use WeDJ - one wedding booked from their referrals every 4-5 months or so. It's very active in the northwest and midwest, but in the southeast, it doesn't seem to be a hot lead source. I suspect a lot of those click throughs are from other vendors checking out the competition. That's why I never pay for pay-per-click advertising unless I'm paying for bonafied leads. My home grown website is not the best, so I can probably increase warm leads substantially when my new website goes live.

I'm keeping my subscription just so I can keep my name in front of brides as they peruse different sites.

I've found better bonafied lead sources, but I pay $2-$5 for the leads. So far, I've paid about $100 in lead fees, but I've booked three jobs in two months (two weddings, one senior session), and will probably be booking a fourth next week when I meet with the client. So it's costing me roughly $25 per job in advertising expenses, which is more than reasonable considering the revenue I'll bring in.

One thing clients who hit these websites are becoming more savvy about is asking if a photographer is capable of doing the work they're advertising for (not just weddings). Anyone can advertise on these sites; the websites don't requires a sales tax i.d. or any proof that you're a legitimate business. Two of the couples I've recently contracted off these sites (including WeDJ.com) were very frustrated with the search process. My advice is to not advertise for services other than those that you can actually provide with confidence. Some sites are instituting feedback postings about vendors and behind the scenes some are contemplating using message boards similar to The Knot. Some sites are beginning to think about providing quality vendors to their visitors vs. just anyone who throws money at them.

Colleen,

I have been with WeDJ for over 2 years now and I love the service, they also have a cool tool that is called GigBuilder, so for some photographers who are not using quicken to book, keep track and follow up, gigbuilder is a decent tool free.

WeDJ keeps on sending me new clients daily. I always work with an theory of 80/20, 80% of clients will not be booked. If you go in this mind set and invest in some sort of an advertisement, if I get close to 20% clients who contact me following a successful contract than advertisement works and it is worth paying for it.

Greg