Wedding Photography is a big money waster..?

rick_shanahan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>This is not news. How to cut expenses on every aspect of weddings has been around for a long time. I'm sure all the other vendors have something to say about the consequences of these recommendations too.</p>

<p>More reason to put more effort into educating prospects and clients.</p>

<p>Even so, we photographers have to remember that some people do not value wedding photography the same way.</p>

<p>On Martha Stewarts radio show two of her co-hosts did the same thing, except they spent an hour telling brides how stupid it is to hire a photographer when there are students that will do it for free. My blood boils, but you have to consider that the couples that take this advice are not the couples that yopu want hiring you anyway. The more educated mature couples no where to spend the money and they know what's important. Also they normally dont have 18 bridesmaids and groomsmen and 500 guests that suck up everything from their wallets.</p>

<p>To each their own I say.<br>

If they want to skimp so much on the photographers, more power to them. chances are that they are not the kind of clients that would be hiring us in the first place.<br>

Let them hire the uncle bob's from craigslist. Just don't come crying when those popup flash shots make you look like you just woke up.</p>

<p>Actually, I thought it was good advice.</p>

<p>They're not saying don't bother with photography. They're saying find someone who can work within your budget, and suggesting art schools as a source of skilled and cost-effective services, or finding a skilled amateur. No mention of unskilled people, or Uncle Bob or random GWC. </p>

<p><em>"A better alternative is to hire a friend who is really good with a camera (there are many great amateurs these days). Or call a local art school and hire a student photographer or go on CraigsList where you can often find more affordable prices."</em> <br /> <br /> <br /> And be guaranteed crappy pictures in all likelihood.<br /> <br /> <br /> $2K on flowers is dumb if you ask me! $2K on photos are memories which last a lifetime.</p>

<p>"A better alternative is to hire a friend who is really good with a camera (there are many great amateurs these days). Or call a local art school and hire a student photographer or go on CraigsList where you can often find more affordable prices." You might get lucky with this advice once in awhile if old Uncle Bob or the art student can stay focused and sober for four hours. </p>

<p>Capturing memorable images at all phases of a couple's wedding day is one of the toughest challenges a photographer can underdake.</p>

<p>Any couple hiring a photographer who cannot show them great coverage they did of previous weddings is really rolling the dice.</p>

<p>Neil, The problem I have is that those of us who have put their time in, gone to school, have life experience, offer professionalism etc etc etc.... Cannot pay their bills because the work is going to NON professionals who do not have the overhead that we have. Have you dealt with any college age art students lately??? I have. Its just wrong!</p>

<p>Also many pro's are willing to work with budgets during these times. The couples should be educated to know that they should "just ask" the pro if he or she are willing to work with their budget. Personally I would rather take a cut in pay than no pay.</p>

<p>That is the great thing about this business. There are photographers priced from next-to-nothing up to $20,000 (just to show up).......and there are brides looking for both.....and everything in between. This is a business where there is really something for everyone no matter what you are looking for. I love this business</p>

<p><em>"A better alternative is to hire a friend who is really good with a camera (there are many great amateurs these days). Or call a local art school and hire a student photographer or go on CraigsList where you can often find more affordable prices."</em></p>

<p>I agree with this comment. Why not? If that is all the couple can afford, i.e. if they are on a very tight budget and can afford $350, then rather get someone for $350 who is likely to have a level of skill above the average uncle Bob.</p>

<p>The responses in this post, i.e. by wedding photographers and those with an interest in the topic, is so predictable. Obviously most of you are going to try to defend wedding photography. But lets face it, the world's economy is in the bog. People need to save money and like it or not, that is exactly what they are doing! Photography is near the top of the money saving list, like it or not!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Everyone I know has a single wedding photo hanging on their wall. I've never seen their wedding album nor do I care to. That one portrait could have been taken for under $100 so why bother spending $3000 on a pro wedding photographer? Over 50% of marriages end in divorce. I know two people who got divorced and they both threw their wedding albums in the trash.</p>

<p>I'm sure some people love their wedding photos and others don't care that much. Everyone has a different idea of what is valuable to them.</p>

<p>Hey!  Please stop referring to "uncle Bob" - my name's Bob and I am an uncle too!  The last wedding I did was for a nephew too!  So I was the real "uncle Bob" taking photos!<br>

<br>

Just kidding!<br>

<br />I did part time weddings for about 25 years, while working at another full time job.  Never looked for business, mostly came from referrals of past clients, fellow workers, friends, acquaintances, etc.  I always thought my relatively low cost offering was an alternative for people who couldn't or wouldn't afford a pro.  I always had samples of previous efforts, so potential clients saw what I could do - basic coverage, nothing really fancy, but it seemed to suit their needs.<br>

<br>

I finally got tired of having many summer weekends tied up with weddings, and gave it up.  There were several places in our city that were popular for wedding photography, and many times I was shooting there, other photogs would be doing the same, mostly all like me with 35mm gear.  So there seemed to be a fair amount of people offering what I was doing.   <br>

<br>

</p>

<p>"<em>That one portrait could have been taken for under $100 so why bother spending $3000 on a pro wedding photographer? Over 50% of marriages end in divorce. I know two people who got divorced and they both threw their wedding albums in the trash</em>." - Walt</p>

<p>Weddings and funerals are often the only time that the whole family is in one place so there's frequently an opportunity for priceless family groups and three (sometimes four) generation images. Shooting fun family groups at funerals tends to be quite a challenge and most of the time the images will be one person short. Course, you still don't need to spend three Gs for the photography.</p>

<p>It's all about value for money. Once you get to the 5-6K range you get very good photos (normally). So when the rates go higher from there the quality difference would be very small. So a 12K wedding photographer is not going to be twice as good as a 6K guy.</p>

<p>I have the agree with the advice given on yahoo. I also think that any bride searching out that kind of information will also find the "Why NOT to skimp on your wedding photography" article. They are all over the internet. </p>

<p>There are also LOTS of articles about how to make an educated choice about your photographer, even if you include some uncle bobs in your line up. Things like making sure they've done a wedding before, asking them if they offer a photo session up front for free so you can see how they work, how they will photograph you, the quality of there work...before you pay them.</p>

<p>Wedding Photography is a profession I would like to get into, and of course if no ones hiring there won't be anything for me to get into. But at this point I'd be considered an "uncle bob" whos in art school lol. Everyone has to start some where, and for the couples that are spending the amount of a wedding photographer as there whole wedding budget ... (I see a lot whole wedding under $1000). Uncle bob might be better than nothing at all to them.</p>

<p>I also disagree with the statements that these couples are not the couples you would want to hire anyway. I've met some really awesome couples, who would have loved to hire some of the pro photographers in my area. I've actually sat down with some that i know that I am not there first choice, because they tell or show me photographers they wish they could afford.</p>

<p>my 2 cents...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Btw memories are very special, so even a badly taken photo of a memorable momemt will be a treasured object for many couples. So before you say that someone shooting with a D40 with direct on-camera flash will give the bride and groom nightmares for years, the fact remains that the couple will look at the photos and think about the moment and not about how technically good the photos are.</p>

<p>>> I also disagree with the statements that these couples are not the couples you would want to hire anyway. <<</p>

<p>Well, from a business angle that is true. If you want to charge 20K for a wedding, you need to target people who'd pay 90K for a 7-series fully equipped BMW. Not the 25K Toyota owners :-)</p>

<p>Everyone values everything differently. I know some people who own BMWs for $60K. My car cost $25K. These same people buy a camera for $300 and think I'm crazy for spending $5000 on "just a lens." Some people think good wedding photos are important, others could care less.</p>

<p>Have you dealt with any college age art students lately??? I have. Its just wrong!</p>

<p>I guess I'm one of the few college photo students who don't fancy myself a "professional wedding photographer"- and with good reason. I've seen their work. For that level of stress, I won't do it. Had offers, but always declined.</p>

<p>...but you're only going to wear the dress once? <i>That's</i> ludicrous.</p>