Wedding photography flash for Nikon D90

sara_ackermann1

<p>Sara -</p>

<p>Let me answer your question with a question: What do you use today? Unless you are switching from another system (Sony, Canon, etc...) whatever you use today will still work with a D90.</p>

<p>I personally use SB 800 (you can still get them fairly cheap) and a difuser. For formals - I use a Bowens light kit fired with Pocket Wizards.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>If you can afford it, the SB900 is the pro-option one designed for DX cameras like yours. Never used this one.<br /> Currently I don`t shoot nothing even close to a wedding, but I remember I missed the big hammer models from Metz when I was in this kind of business shooting with SB800. Perhaps they are still worth a look.</p>

<p>The SB900 is sensitive to overheating. Too many rapid pops in quick succession may cause it to turn off until it cools. Some wedding shooters find this a problem. I've read the SB800 is somewhat less sensitive in this regard. That said, my personal opinion is wedding pros who use these speedlights like stroboscopes may possibly want to reconsider some of their shooting style. Your mileage may vary.<br /> -- <br /> Henry Posner<br /> <strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>The SB 26 was the flash built for the D90. So I would think any flash newer will work as well. These allow the full potential of this camera's amazing repertoire of TTL flash tricks.</p>

<p>Many wedding shooters prefer after market flashes. Sunpak, Metz and others make flashes that will TTL sync with Nikon. And these have high voltage battery systems for instant recycling, a must for wedding work.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The SB 26 was the flash built for the D90.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Steve, you probably had the film SLR the F90/N90 in mind. The SB-25 was built for the N90 back in 1992, and the subsequent SB-26 is for film SLRs also. Current DSLR such as the D90 use i-TTL.</p>

<p>A mint second-hand SB-800 is always a good bet since the overheating issue on the new SB-900 has yet to be resolved. However, the SB-800's are now going for a pretty good dollar (I am in the process of getting one, $350 USD is the magic number)) because of the high demand for a professional Nikon flash unit that's an alternative to the latest model.</p>