Wedding Photographer Scam... Beware

gregoryc

I have been contacted several times by a Mike Campbell regarding his wedding

plans. I have just come to realize I was almost the victim of this scam. Here is

a link to you all on how the scam works.

http://drewfaber.com/dfp-pages/wedding-photography-scam-alert.html

I apologize if you are already aware of this scam. I did do a quick search and

found no reference to this.

I corresponded 4-times with this guy before I realized I was being scammed.

Apparently he is sending me a check for $4,820.

-Greg Campbell

Cool!!! $4820.00 will buy lot of lenses. How much did he want you send back?

I love getting these things. I always tell them that I do not require a deposit. Just mail the airline tickets.

Sometimes when they ask me how much I charge, I tell them 3 pigs and a goat. But they should send me 6 pigs and 2 goats because the airline is going to charge me 4 pigs and a goat.

My guy was a girl named TGracy Bell from GHANA as well. I had a hunch until a few emails into it then bc curiosity got the better of me went to pu the check that had supposedly been delivered and was being held ups. When I picked it up the lady there knew what it was before i opened it and even guessed what would be inside. So i opened and she was correct, a fake cashiers check to the tune of $5000.00

I'd NOT even respond to such emails, but turn them over to the FBI. They have experts who can track them down, and by doing this you give them a jump on getting them. Responding, then backing out, can warn the offender, that you are wise to them. In the meantime, they could get someone else's money.

Tim -- they might.

They do do a lot of data mining of the data submitted to them at the website I linked above. They try to determine who the bigger players are, and go after those.

Every bit of data that people submit to that site (actually a joint task force, not just the FBI) gets used.

Robert, "I'd NOT even respond to such emails, but turn them over to the FBI. They have experts who can track them down, and by doing this you give them a jump on getting them." The FBI can't even nail ID thieves here in the US much less these scammers in Nigeria.

This happened me to me earlier this season. The guy already had my address from my website so I went ahead and told him to send me the check which I knew would be fraudulent. When it arrived it was a mess, no bank in the free world would have cashed this thing, but it did have a fake address on it, and when I googled the address it was the address of a real bank in Georgia. I called this bank and asked about the checking account number and to my shock and horror it was a REAL account with real money in it. So not only was it a scam it was identify theft as well. The bank immediately put the account on high alert. I also contacted Yahoo.FR where his email was and had him banned. I'm really glad I went as far as I did with this, I'm sure the jerk already has a new Yahoo.FR email address, but at least that poor person in Georgia's money is safe.

Just FYI :

Very often the check is drawn on a real account with real money. The scammer usually

purchases stolen identities. I've heard that complete sets of identities can be purchased

for as little as twenty bucks. A check is drafted against the account of the ID theft victim.

That's why the scam mail always says "The check will be sent by one of my associates

because I'm out of the country". The check is always for more the the amount needed and

the photographer is to send the balance to a third party (DJ, flower person, wedding

coordinator)

When the photographer receives the check, he can call the bank and validate and it will

appear to be good. When the check is deposited into the photographers account, it will

usually clear and appear to be good. The photographer then sends the "change" to the

requested person. The photographers check clears and is usually deposited into an

account that was opened using another (purchased) stolen identity. When the

photographers money is in hand the account is closed.

Meanwhile, back on the ranch, the original victim of ID theft eventually has their account

completely drained and will start to bounce checks. They will open an investigation with

their bank who will immediately start reversing charges back to the depositors. The

photographer has the original deposit taken from his account and is the one who loses.

Here are the things to look for.

1) If they are contacting you from "out of the country" SCAM

2) If they want to send you more money than required SCAM

3) If they want you to send money back - SCAM

4) If the first contact you have is with the groom - SUSPECT

5) If you are not marketing "Destination Weddings" and one comes along - SUSPECT

6) If the email is extremely formal and gives too much personal information - SUSPECT

7) If it sounds too good to be true - IT PROBABLY IS!

Here is an actual example of one of these scam emails.

Hello Sir,

How are you and your and your photo Studio ?, I am doing very well in all aspect of life. I

am Jefferson Cook Jr.III ,44 yrs from Alabama I am Self-employed, manage my own Real

Estate Agent investments.

The longest lasting treasures of my special day will be my wedding photographs. When

choosing a wedding photographer, I want a photographer that will understands every

creative facet of my wedding and one who is a good business person who can deliver the

perfect result of my wedding photo album!. Someone who really specializes in wedding

photography.

I am very much Intrested in you to Photography and capture the magic of my wedding day

as it happens. My wedding will be taken place Saturday April 14, 2007 and the time is 10

Am till 3 pm. I will be sincerely happy if you will be free on my given date. Because I don't

want my wedding to flop and my Wife won't be happy about it ,she has instructed me to

go make preparation. I wouldn't want any dissapointment from you. I assure you

maximum security on my wedding day.

My wedding photo package Includes 6 hours of photo coverage and includes Photos On

Disk or DVD . How much will it cost me ? I will make a part payment of $1000 via Money

Orders to you. Let me know if that's ok you and Send me your Names and address to Issue

the Money Orders as soon as possible.

I am really bizy going here and there for shopping for the success of my wedding . But

you can give me your cell phone number and I will give you a call as soon as possible, if

your band will be intrested in playing for our wedding day.

Bye for now and I will be waiting to read from you soon.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Yours Faithfully,

Jefferson Cook Jr.III .

My brother was scammed in a chat room in a similar way. A hot woman from Russia looking for somewhere to rent in the Boston area. She almost had him buying her plane tickets, etc.... claiming she would get money from her local cousin once she got here to pay him back. He ended up talking to her for months and finally caught on to the scam.

same idi^$$ change in scam email wording...

BAD LOVE.....

LOOKING FOR A PERFECT PHOTOGRAPHER

I am Jefferson Cook Jr.III ,45 yrs from MI .I am Self-Employed, I manage my own Real Estate Agent Investments. My wedding is coming up and I want it to be the best day of my life with your photographic memories supports.

The longest lasting treasures of my special day will be my wedding photographs. When choosing a wedding photographer, I want a photographer that will understands every creative facet of my wedding and one who is a good business person who can deliver the perfect result of my wedding photo albums and CD!. Someone who really specializes in wedding photography.

I am very much Intrested in you.I sincerely want you to be the Photographer and capture the magic of my Wedding Reception. My wedding will be taken place On Saturday June 30, 2007 and the time is 9 Am till 2 pm. As soon as my wedding Venue is confirm I will let you know. I will be happy if you will be Available on my wedding date.

My wedding package Includes 6 hours of photographs coverage and includes Photos albums, photos on DVD .How much will it cost me ? How much do I need to Deposit ? How do I send you the Deposit part payment ?.I am really busy now doing some shopping for the success of my wedding .

Thank so much For your time and understanding in willing to be my wedding photographer .My warm greetings to you and you co-working staffs.

Bye for now and I will be waiting to read from you ASAP.

Best Regards,

Yours Faithfully,

Jefferson Cook Jr.III

Here's another scam. I played with this guy for awhile. I finally got his partner's name, the (ahem!) wedding planner, OSEI ATTA YAW. I googled that, found a similar email listing OSEI as a shipping agent, and noticed the writing style was nearly the same. I turned the whole trail of emails over to IC3.gov. By the way, I looked up the address of the church(?) on mapquest, and it is an intersection; no church there. The phone number he gives was a real number in Seattle, but gave no name, just "leave a fax or message". Here's the two most important mails:

Good day,

I am Mr Martins Jacob from Califonia i am getting married to Miss Wang Lee on the 28th 0f march 2007 at

629 First Avenue Sunnyvale, California 94089

and i needed a special photographer who will take a place at the event i will like to know all what it will cost you to get to my location here and the actual amount to take a covarage of 7hour from the chucrh to the recption i really need to know this so that i can contact my father in-law about this cos he his the one paying for this coverage await your response immedaitely.

Thanks & God bless

Mr Martins Jacob

Sorry for late reply ,

I am in ITALY now for my wedding shopping

My wedding planner will be with you ............asap

OSEI ATTA YAW .....by name

He is in china for 2 wedding party events

MY wedding will be held @629 First Avenue Sunnyvale, California 94089

Kindly update me about .....the arrival of the check

Miller,

Kindly send me your phone number ................asap

This is my number 2062022611

Waiting to read from read as soon the check arrival

• 4 years later...

<p>Hello. I followed your link to the Wedding Photographer scam. It asked to send the e-mail to them along with headr inf. I was not able to figure out how to get it to them so I am posting it here.</p>

<p>This is so bazar and obvious to be a scam. Here are four points they should study before trying me again.<br>

1. The guy says he is from Texas but writes with a deep accent.<br>

2. It's 905 of the time that a woman does the shopping for a photographer.<br>

3. At the end of the note he asks if my band will play at his wedding.<br>

4. No indication of location or time.<br>

Do I need to say more? WTF?<br>

---<br>

How are you today ?, I am doing very well in all aspect of life. I am Robert Hodges ,44 yrs from Addison Texas I am Self-employed, manage my own Real Estate Agent investments.<br /> <br />The longest lasting treasures of my special day will be my wedding photographs. When choosing a wedding photographer, I want a photographer that will understands every creative facet of my wedding and one who is a good business person who can deliver the perfect result of my wedding photo album!. Someone who really specializes in wedding photography.<br /> <br />I am very much Interested in you to Photography and capture the magic of my wedding day as it happens. My wedding will be taken place Saturday June 25, 2011 and the time is 10 Am till 3 pm. I will be sincerely happy if you will be free on my given date. Because I don't want my wedding to flop and my Wife won't be happy about it ,she has instructed me to go make preparation. I wouldn't want any disappointment from you. I assure you maximum security on my wedding day. My wedding photo package Includes 6 hours of photo coverage and includes Photos On Disk or DVD . How much will it cost me ? I will make a part payment of with my credit card. I am really bizy going here and there for shopping for the success of my wedding . But you can give me your cell phone number and I will give you a call as soon as possible, if your band will be interested in playing for our wedding day. Bye for now and I will be waiting to read from you soon.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Best Regards.<br /><br /></p>