Wedding Photographer interview & portfolio

f_k2

Recently I'm fortunate enough to have an interview opportunity at a wedding

studio who's looking for photographers for the summer. What should I expect in

this interview? What kind of questions will I be asked? They also want some

samples, which I'm assuming is a portfolio request. What samples or types of

samples should I use to build my portfolio? Anything else I should watch out

for? Thank you very much for the advice.

Along with providing samples of your own work, you should be prepared with your own set

of questions for them. Aside from the basics like pay and hours, you need to ask about

ownership and copyright, reproduction rights for marketing/self-promotion, and liability. (A

studio I once worked for had a zero-liability clause, meaning I bore full responsibility if a

couple sued.)

See if you can track down the Amercian Photo magazine Oct 2006 it has the whole issue on assitants and some great stories and tips. First get the best print quality samples of your stuff you have. Bring a little fanny pack with pins, lint roller, duct tape, baby wipes, Kleenex, lens paper, lens cleaner stuff a bride might need and stuff the photographer may need. Show them you are "On it" Good luck.

When I interview people, I'm looking for someone that is a 'people person' You've got to handle stress and perform under extreme stress sometimes. That's where most photographers break down. Having a 'vision' is next, having camera skills comes last. just so you know.

Some photographers will be far different.

BTW, I am no lawyer, but I don't believe it is legally binding for any employee to be held liable unless negligence is involved and provable, regardless of what was signed. A sub-contractor, maybe. Of course, everyone and anyone gets sued if it comes to that, just gota pay for a good lawyer to get you off.

Doug

>What kind of questions will I be asked?

1) How do you feel working for probably much less than what you are worth?

2) How do you feel about having no control of how the images you shoot are used?

Sorry - I'm pretty anti-studio if you are talented enough to run your own show. The nature of the business is that you can do far better - and I'm NOT just talking about financially - if you shoot your own gigs.

Look at it from the interviewer's point of view. The first thing they will want to know is whether you can shoot the way they (not you) need. If you pass that test, then they'll look at you personally--how you talk, your personality--and assess if you can handle people well. Then they will want to know what you want to be paid. If everything fits up till that point, then you'll get into the finer details.

It might depend on who is doing the interview. If it is a studio manager who doesn't shoot, you may be asked different questions than if the interviewer was the head photographer.

I would look at the type of images the studio produces and put together 2 or 3 weddings with the images chosen to fit as much as possible. Also bring a resume and treat the interview as you would any other job interview as far as conservative dress and manner is concerned, unless you know the "people style" of the studio, in which case, dress and act the way they dress and act.

> What kind of questions will I be asked?<

We ask questions in broadly three areas: Experience; Education; Personal.

The first two are self explanatory, the third comprise questions like, so what do you want from the position with us? Where do you see yourself professionally in three years?

Regarding these points, Mr Erb made significant comment, you should know what you want from the appointment and why. Knowing these facts is very important.

We respect directness and clarity at an interview: many new photographers have answered `yes` when we ask directly if they see themselves in their own gig in two years. We have taken on many in their last year of Photographic College or just out with very little experience.

At the interview we assess: people and communication skills; punctuality (do not underestimate the value of being 5 minutes early, neatly composed and ready); cleanliness; posture; attentiveness; appropriate dress.

> What samples or types of samples should I use to build my portfolio? <

In a portfolio we look for: quality; diversity of style and subject; technical experience with differing situations; spontaneity; originality.

We do not look for quantity.

> Anything else I should watch out for? <

Each employer has their own reason for wanting an employee or contractor. Often the interviewee initially has the upper hand coming into the interview, because it is easier to learn more about the business and employer prior to the interview. We research a new assignment: the location the lighting etc, an interview could be researched too.

Ms Almasy made the point you should have question ready to clarify your position. A good interviewer will cover the points she mentioned without being asked; a good interviewer will ask if you have any questions; if neither of these events happen you should politely but firmly ask clear and precise questions, if you do not understand the answers seek clarification.

We do not accept or reject an interviewee at the interview, be prepared to leave without knowing the outcome.

Most importantly be honest and keep your integrity. If this job suits it will, if not then keep moving; remember in these situations a `Yes` is good but a `No` is never personal.

Good Luck

WW