Wedding in a Planetarium

ajb

i have a meeting coming up with a client who is getting married in a

planetarium. I'm seeking advice on how to pull off a photo inside a

planetarium, properly exposing the people and the star lit background. While i

could do this really well in nature, i have concerns about how a fill flash

(even while dragging the exposure) will affect the projections of the stars etc.

It seems that the issue will be that the ceiling/ walls will be close enough to

bounce the flash, and therefore ruin the background projection.

i haven't actually seen the planetarium yet, so i don't know how dark it

actually is, and what i might be able to get away with. Obviously i'll go there

and practice, and i have some ideas to try... So i'm just looking for out-there

suggestions.

Thanks!

strobist.blogspot.com

Look in the "on assignment" section for some scientists making better concrete that this guy shot.

The key, I understand, is not allowing any of the flash light to hit the white reflective screen dome area. So you'll probably need your flash to be on a stand, aiming down, with a snoot on it to only allow light to hit the subjects. The flash should stop the action on the subjects, then just let the shutter draaaaaaaaaaag to fill in the stars and detail.

I'm assuming the entire ceremony won't be held in the dark. Perhaps they'll project a sunny sky or some other brighter scene during the main portions of the ceremony. You're probably better off shooting some posed shots after the ceremony for the atmosphere and shooting to stop action and expose the subjects during the ceremony.

You'll want to ask the plane.arium staff asap how they normally do this to get an idea of what exactly you'll encounter.

At any rate, what a spectacular portfolio opportunity if the b/g will allow you to spend some time on formals under a starry sky. :D

That is one of the coolest venues that I have heard of in a while.</p>That being said, try to

get in beforehand and perform a few test shots with your system. It is hard to say without

being in the actual space what the lighting conditions will be. I'd try a few things with

dragging the shutter by placing the flash off camera, or utilize a remote flash. Another idea

would be to take two consecutive shots, one with flash and one without and combine them in

Photoshop. Have a model stand in and see what happens. Best of luck, and I hope you get

the gig.

</p>

<a href="http://www.donhillstudio.com">don</a>

They get dark! So besides the exposure problem to try to catch the starry ceiling and people (combined exposures might be the ticket, as suggested), you may want to try working in very low light conditions. I doubt they'll be in the full dark as people will have to move around, read, etc., and guests will need to be able to see.

But it may still be dark enough to get dark adjusted and then need to see small details on controls. Consider the lcds and controls on cameras and lighting, to both see them and then the various leds and blinking lights and controls/displays to avoid being distracting? Get a small, easily used red flahslight?

Does sound like an interesting venue, and the rest of the building/grounds might be pretty interesting as well.

Something that might be fun! Bring a colored light, red is nice, or blue, laser! During a long exposure go behind the B&G or have someone do it for you so you can stay with the camera, and outline their bodies from behind with the colored flashlights! Stars in the background, with them lit up could be pretty amazing! Did that once at a holloween party and a guy was sitting on a fake tumbstone. Looked great!