WEDDING CRITIQUE OF THE WEEK 6/17/09 - AKA WEDDING PHOTO OF THE WEEK

think27

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=991915">William Morgan - Columbus, Ohio</a></p>

<p>The recipient of this week's critique. </p>

<p>In your critiques - Include what you would do to improve the shot or why the shot is perfect as it is and why. Remember that this is not a contest. Sometimes an image will be a winning image and sometimes an image that needs some help. Try not to just say "great shot" but explain why it works. Or - "Doesn't do it for me" without explaining why.<br>

<br /> The photographer up for critique for this week should remember that the comments expressed each week are simply "opinions" and the effort and focus of these threads are to learn and to take images to another level. There will be times where the critique is simply members pointing out why the shot works which is also a way for others to learn about what aspects contribute to a good wedding photo. In reading all critiques -- You may agree or disagree with some points of view - but remember that there are varying approaches and often no right or wrong answer.<br>

Thanks to all that have contributed to these threads. There are some awsome photos being uploaded.</p><div>00TgEu-145133584.thumb.jpg.88ba8cf8bcd1cd6bc2e94beeee624ece.jpg</div>

<p>Stellar shot, William! The only thing I might have tweaked is the way the bride is holding the bouquet and the angle of her arm. I'd have her grip it higher and hold it downward behind her so the flowers are facing the camera more. I might like to see more of her facial profile. Otherwise, I love the composition, the lines and angles, and the dramatic upward camera tilt with wide angle lens. Primo!</p>

<p>Can you post a version in color?</p>

<p>I like this shot, too. What I'm not crazy about is the red tint. I agree with Steve that I think her arm angle could be improved to help help draw the viewers eye UP her arm into the subject of the picture.</p>

<p>It also looks like the detail on her dress is blown out a little. Is that the case or is it my monitor? I see no details of the dress.</p>

<p>Overall, I like the shot!</p>

This may not make sense, but being used to not making sense, I'll try anyway. This is purely subjective, and pretty much non-technical, because I'm nowhere near skilled enough to make that image.

As a single photo, I don't like it. In general, the shot makes me want to see more, as if it should start by being cropped tighter, or that it's not complete. So I took a look at some of William's other photos. That led me to realize something (rusty gears grinding). As part of a group of photos, or an album, I would really like this photo. To me, the very thing that makes it not stand alone makes it compelling - that I want to see more - the brides face, more of the architecture, more detail in the dress, and color.

To me, it's like one potato chip, and that's causing me to look at individual images in a completely different way. Probably old hat to all the pros, but a new trick for me. Thanks!

<p>A few thoughts ... I love how the dress just cascades down into the bottom left-hand side of the image! Very pretty. I also love the expression on the groom's face. I think the flowers would have looked better if she had dropped her arm down at her side. And I don't really care for the pink tone. </p>

<p>First I want to say that I think William does great work.... I'm not keen on the color at all - I find it really distracting - the one on your website in color is much better. I love the dress bottom on the left but whatever is going on the right bottom makes me dizzy. Her arm is distracting too and puts the flowers in the wrong spot. There is little contrast between the couple and the stain glass so they get lost in there... I totally appreciate what you were going for here, it's just not a photo I would call a favorite - however, I would change the color either to color or BW and include it in a book because I think it captures a moment - however, it would not be a highlight photo for me.</p>

<p>Hmmm... doesn't do it for me. I don't find the composition particularly pleasing to (my) eye. I think the window detail behind detracts from the expression on the grooms face. The dark lines are too overwhelming. I'm also not a fan of the red tone. I think I would have moved the couple closer to the wall perpendicular to the window and caught the details of the window that way, without having the window directly behind the couple in the shot. It would have made for some nice lighting on the couple as well. <br>

On another note I probably would have asked the bride to put her bouquet down so she could put both arms around the groom.<br>

But that's all just me. :)</p>

I enjoy using graphical/geometric elements in my photos whenever I can, so I would say from the onset that I like the concept here. I'm not sure about the pink toning. Maybe a slightly desaturated version?

<p>I like the framing and the angle at which the shot was taken. I admittedly find the key of the image a bit confusing. Dark as well as bright elements that are not the main focal point (IMHO) competing with the bride and groom for attention. I would be interested to see this in colour...

<p>As an aside, it struck me later that the window frame behind the groom's head makes him look like a Roman Centurion ;-)

<p>I bet the couple loved this though :)

<p>While not my cup of tea, I like the image A LOT! Here's why.</p>

<p>William had the guts to break away and do something risky. To break from the monotonous droning on of conventional wedding images with something unexpected. Trying to layer on a bunch of conventional wisdom may well ring true ... but is actually an attempt to draw the experiment back into people's comfort zone. </p>

<p>Is it perfect? Experiments rarely are ... but they lead you elsewhere and help you develop new ways of seeing and thinking. We all know William is a quite capable photographer, so this isn't something from a whipper-snapper newbie who doesn't know how to shoot what most people expect from a wedding image.</p>

<p>Keep it up William ... looking forward to seeing where this kind of thing leads you. </p>

I like the shot a lot. I think her right arm looks a bit uncomfortable, holding the flowers in that angle. Maybe have her hang her right arm straight down in a relaxed position. The grooms smile is great.

This was a 2 minute adjustment, that doesn't look realistic, but to me this is about the area where the flowers should hang from her arm, with her elbow less bent.<div>00TgnG-145501584.thumb.jpg.0f6c525e39b00d0029ee95b205715bc6.jpg</div>

<p>I really like the overall treatment and feeling, the camera angle, and the angle of the pose. The sloping "S" curve of the window, the bride's back, and the sweep of the dress adds a really nice compositional theme to the image. What's troublesome to me is the arm/bouquet position, the blown-out whites of her dress and his shirt/tie, I also want her face more in profile so she has a nose & eye in frame, and I'd like to have the flowers and their faces tack sharp.</p>

<p>It's a special art to be able to respond to critique: My goal and intent is to Not Defend but to steer my responses towards what I do for my bridal couples using my style as well as creating stimulating conversation that's helpful to others who are still searching for "a style".</p>

<p>Thanks going out to <strong>all </strong> that have taken the time to comment; <em>it's a valuable gift</em> and it's <strong>Greatly appreciated.</strong> (note: Tom Anderson: thank you so much for putting your thoughts to words ... that's exactly what I am trying to create; <strong>if a person wants to see more then my "job" as a photographer is done and I've served my clients well!</strong> Marc W touched on it too: pushing the envelop is not the safe way to go but it can open new doors in our process if we're willing to take the time to "play". Thanks for all your inspiration Marc. )</p>

<p>If interested in seeing how I struggled (post processing) with this shot then you can see some evidence of it here: http://www.kivapix.com/#/gallery/wedding-richard-and-rosie/0000-richard-and-rosie-collages-002/ these are a few collages of what I did to "play" with this image.</p>

<p>I am pushing things to a bit of an extreme but I'm ok with that because it was my intent and the couple loved it and one of my rules is that I have to have a good time too with the wedding photography and I tell clients that when they interview me. (yup, I've lost a few potential customers but I've gained the ones I've wanted to be with on a wedding day.)</p>

<p>I have to chuckle about all the comments regarding the bouquet and arm angle: frankly <strong>I agree with every single comment!</strong> The back story on it is that I had just spent a lot of time in pre-formals and post-formals asking her to rearrange the bouquet so it flowed better and I just decided to let it go here as they were nice enough to give me a couple of minutes to capture this image which was top on my list of "must-have" to fulfill my artistic vision of possible shots at this venue. This was taken in a two minute period as they were wanting to get outside where I stole another couple of minutes but I never did get all the shots I wanted to get <em>because of another crunched time line.</em> At every wedding I try to get a few shots that I really find fun and challenging followed by crossing my fingers. Pushing the envelop for a mere few minutes at each wedding is something the bridal couple know I will do (if given the time).</p>

<p>Highlights in the dress: were knowingly pushed to the extreme here in post processing ... see the link above for evidence of the sacred highlights if needed. I have no problem bullying a histogram around for "art". </p>

<p>Seeing the bride's face: I would agree that it's classic but I'm ok with the groom being shown on occasion to amplify and capture his love for his bride. Yeah, that can be a good thing.</p>

<p>One thing about experimenting and "art": if you get a good result occasionally then it's been a successful adventure. My customers Insist that I push the envelop; it's my style: <strong>this is why they hire me</strong> and I make sure that we are talking the same "language" when we meet. I actually ask them to sit down and look at a <strong>huge</strong> stack of prints to see what they like photographically as well as in the post-processing end of the continuum.</p>

<p><strong>Smiling to myself: should have just said "Thank you" to everyone and kept my mouth shut! </strong></p>

<p>Oh, btw, I later got a photo of this bride and groom up in a tree! I won't bore you with the "why" but it fit the storyline of the wedding (hint: the reception as at the bride's home) ... should have seen the families gather around and enjoy that!</p>

<p>Well . . . let's see . . .<br>

First, I should say that I like this shot quite a bit. The touchups that I would have done are small, but I think that they would make a big difference.<br>

The first is that this was shot from very close, with a wide lens. This is the primary thing causing her are to look awkward. Her is enlarged by being closer to the lens. I usually try to do this type of pose with my 80-200, but I can see that there was probably not enough room to do this.<br>

The second problem that I have is with the way that she is holding the bouquet. I always try to teach the girls in my bridal parties to hold their flowers closer to the flowers instead of down the stems. This looks better in almost every photograph where they are holding their flowers and would be a big improvement here. The flowers would look more balanced in her hand instead of looking like she is struggling to hold them up (a common problem with these large bouquets.)<br>

Another thing that may have solved both problems is to have her drop her right arm as she arches her back in this pose. I usually do a "dip" pose outdoors and have the bride drop her arm for the last few. These often look more relaxed and are the ones choosen for the album.<br>

Lastly, I don't like this color very much either. I think that the idea was a sepia tone, but it ended up too red and should be a little more brown.<br>

With all of that, this is the type of image that can make you a lot of money. Brides love to see these in your samples and know that you can reproduce the same image for them.</p>

<p>"<em>Highlights in the dress: were knowingly pushed to the extreme here in post processing ... see the link above for evidence of the sacred highlights if needed. I have no problem bullying a histogram around for "art"........" </em><strong>I'm guessing that you're saying that you deliberately blew-out the highlights in post for the sake of art.</strong><br /><em>"Seeing the bride's face: I would agree that it's classic but I'm ok with the groom being shown on occasion to amplify and capture his love for his bride. Yeah, that can be a good thing." </em><strong>I'm confused, getting the bride's face in profile doesn't change the groom's position.....</strong></p>

<p>I totally want to see the up in the tree picture now!<br>

I like this shot. Not crazy abotu the post-processing as it's not my style, but I appreciate that it's yours and respect that it was done well to the client's liking.<br>

I love the lines and the flow of the shot.</p>

<p>Like the visionary aspect of this shot. I felt caught off guard a little if you know what I mean.</p>

<p>The things I like are that you have used an aggressive angle and UWA lens. Both of these give it uniqueness and make it worth studying, IMO. The draw of the window for my eye is a little overwhelming compared to their faces, but it also provides a good frame for them. The cranberry overcast is not my cup of tea though, nor is the soft focus on this particular image.</p>

<p>Great stuff, I hope we will be seeing more of you knack with the UWA develop as you move on.</p>

<p>Hi Steve ... you can see several versions in the collages linked to in my post just above.</p>

<p>David S., don't be mad; it's ok to have a client hire me knowing that I may blow out highlights in post processing. You can see versions without the dress blown out if interested. I didn't purposefully go into my edit to blow out the highlights: the fact is that <strong>I didn't care</strong> if they blew out or not for that version. I knew it happened and I enjoyed the look. I smiled.</p>

<p>The rosy tone was the color picked by the bride and groom: the brides name was "Rosie". They enjoyed it a great deal ... yet I do understand that there may be better looking versions. I'll smile as the bride and groom enjoy it knowing that my fellow photographers suggest a different look: the feedback is greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>Note: I was laying on the floor and my body was sandwiched between the two back rows of pews in a crowded balconey ... I was limited in where I could be but the truth is that I really wanted to capture this look. It's a shot I've done before in a different location and the bridal couple loved it ... and I showed both faces in that one. I'll post it if anyone expresses interest. </p>

<p>Thanks everyone. Anyone else have any suggestions or comments I'd enjoy hearing them.</p>