Wedding Critique of the Week 5/17/10

picturesque

<p>This week's image was taken by Freya Jensen.<br /><br />This is Part 2 of Wedding Photo of the Week. You can see all submissions in the thread with that title.In your critiques - include what you would do to improve the shot or why the shot is perfect as it is.<br /><br />Remember that this is not a contest. Sometimes an image will be a winning image and sometimes an image that needs some help. Try not to just say "great shot" but explain why it works. Or - "Doesn't do it for me" without explaining why.<br /><br />The photographer up for critique for this week should remember that the comments expressed each week are simply "opinions" and the effort and focus of these threads are to learn and to take images to another level. There will be times where the critique is simply members pointing out why the shot works which is also a way for others to learn about what aspects contribute to a good wedding photo. In reading all critiques -- you may agree or disagree with some points of view - but remember that there are varying approaches and often no right or wrong answer.</p>

<p>Freya's notes: I am not sure if this is the right kind of photo for this crit but I wanted to enter it for responses! The Groom surprised his bride after the church wedding with her 'new' car! she had always dreamed of owning it and she was over the moon as she got in and he sped her off down the country lanes. she had no idea. Taken with D700 24-70 ISO 800 f2.8. It was a dark gloomy british day and I wanted to make it stand out. I loved it as I knew that this was a big surprise for the bride by the Groom and she adores this car but never thought they could buy it. He did and her face was a picture! ISO800 f2.8 D700 24-70. A normal cloudy british day</p><div>00WUnw-245361584.jpg.d2f6c747379ca2dc6f6c537ec7dc5a9c.jpg</div>

<p>Interesting image, I rather like the distortion from the lens and the energy of the bride's expression. However, the entire image is soft and the bride's dress and hair-piece is blown out. I don't understand the logic of the high ISO and the wide open aperture. I've added some tweaks and sharpening to the bride in the image below.</p><div>00WUzt-245477584.jpg.67ac6f81b20d784713f1b4ea789961c8.jpg</div>

<p>Yes, I did shudder when i saw the dress was blown, and I should have known better to not shoot with such a high ISO - I had just come from shooting inside a dark entrance porch, whisked around and didn't change the setting. I shoot manual but I am still not as fast with it as I want. Practice practice practice!<br>

thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It was my favourite shot but that is because I knew the story. Which also makes me think about the next time I submit a shot, I want you to see it without a story behind it and seeing the story in it!<br>

I have another wedding next weekend so hopefully I can add a better storytelling shot.</p>

<p ><em >“Freya's notes: I am not sure if this is the right kind of photo for this crit but <strong >I wanted to enter it for responses! </strong>The Groom surprised his bride after the church wedding with her 'new' car! she had always dreamed of owning it and <strong >she was over the moon as she got in and he sped her off down the country lanes.</strong> she had no idea. Taken with D700 24-70 ISO 800 f2.8. It was a dark gloomy british day and I wanted to make it stand out. I loved it as I knew that this was a big surprise for the bride by the Groom and she adores this car but never thought they could buy it. He did and her face was a picture! ISO800 f2.8 D700 24-70. A normal cloudy british day”</em></p>

<p ><em > </em></p>

<p >It’s a good capture.</p>

<p >It is . . . what it is . . . a good moment – and one the Bride and Groom will treasure.</p>

<p >The Pic will not win a competition, but it will win her heart as a memory of the moment.</p>

<p >And anyway it is nice to see the steering wheel on the correct side (RH side) of the car . . .</p>

<p > </p>

<p >***</p>

<p > </p>

<p >My mate David is a bit tough on this one, I think . . . he is correct, but . . .</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Yeah her bust is blown out and so is her lap, <strong ><em >and the Groom is OoF</em></strong> slightly I think, but the main attraction is the joy on the Bride’s face and the intent on the Groom's face – it is like he is a “Learner Driver” . . . it is all very “cute”.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I think this is one of those shots which is a keeper just because it is cute – and the technical errors pale into insignificance because it is “cute”.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I would not beat yourself all that much about the technical errors on this one – just be happy to have got it – and next time use F/5.6 or get a bit further back . . . </p>

<p > </p>

<p >What was the Tv ? ? ? (Shutter Speed) . . . did you have a bit of room to move there and close the Aperture down? ? ?</p>

<p > </p>

<p > WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p>Excellent expression, and "of the moment" capture.</p>

<p>Would liked to have seen a bit more DOF, more car, and less exposure.</p>

<p>You can always crop most lower ISO outdoor shots, but you can't add image when it's something like a car.</p>

<p>What kind of car was it?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>OK, so very few people are concerned about technical issues like exposure, lighting, and focus. Truth is, setting the camera on "P" mode and slapping the shutter would have likely improved this image............ it really doesn't take any longer to take a correct exposure than it does an incorrect exposure.</p>

<p>Although it appears that most everyone wants to talk about the specs and tech components of cameras, sensors, and lenses.</p>

<p>I think this picture is beautiful and also important since its an example of an authentic picture vs. an artificial picture. The catch-22 is that it wasn't set up to look perfect so that makes it more perfect. Blown highlights, indifferent depth of field, haphazard angle of view; who cares, the picture just works. The bride and groom naturally look great and are likely happy with this 'imperfect snapshot' along with hopefully fifty or so more similar 'imperfect snapshots' if they also capture the joy of their wedding day so well. Very nice picture, thanks for posting it.</p>

<p>You are dependable and consistent David. <br />I still think you are a bit tough on this one, but geez I love your dependability. <br />I know - that same dependability and consistency gets you about a 90% keeper rate. <br />From my point of view, we could shoot a Wedding tag-team, irrespective of any aspect of taste, genre, style and all that stuff . . . I would just drool over your consistency and dependability . . . <br /><br />***<br /><br />“P” mode doing a better technical job ? ? ? <br /><br />Maybe you were less serious than I, but I also had the same thought but did not disclose it before getting more information.<br /><br />I am not sure about "P" Mode making a better technical image, but, I still want an answer to my question - <strong><em>I asked it because I was thinking along the same logic.</em></strong><br /><br />I do use P mode on occasions like this, moving on the fly and especially when I am shooting without the viewfinder to the eye, but only if the situation is suitable to concur with P Mode parameters, because shooting away from the eyepiece I cannot use Program Shift, (not at a wedding but you get the idea as to why my eye was not in the viewfinder): <a href="../photo/10738731&size=lg">http://www.photo.net/photo/10738731&size=lg</a><br /><br />Asking again: <br /><br /><strong><em>“What was the Tv ? ? ? (Shutter Speed) . . . did you have a bit of room to move there and close the Aperture down? ? ?”</em></strong><br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />WW<br /><br /></p>

<p>Sorry WW - It was a very cramped area to shoot, all the guests were surrounding the car and I had no room to shoot really. I wanted a different kind of shot certainly, it may not be textbook, But I like the strange and daft shots you can take. The more sensible and family-friendly shots were taken properly later, but this was my chance for a bit of fun, a change of perspective. I kept shooting in portrait perspective and now I wish I can a few more in landscape, but I wanted it be about the B&G and fade the guests in the background.<br>

I have never used Programme mode as I want to learn and be able to see any situation and know that that bride in the doorway should be shot at f5.6 and 1/60th etc, but sometimes the situation gets the better of us and we keep shooting knowing its a great shot but technically not-so-good.<br>

I think I shall always think about each shot being critiqued afterwards and that will force me to take more time in my shots and be aware of any light situation. Not just by the B&G but of my peers and heros!<br>

Thanks for the kind comments too - its not perfect but it works. I felt that too! ;-) thanks everyone</p>

<p>Hey Wow! <br>

<br>

Thanks for the apology which was not necessary. <br>

<br>

And your commentary really gave me an insight, as it showed a truck load of enthusiasm –<br>

<br>

I liked that - it really made me smile . . . I am cooking a really nice dinner tonight, as we have lots of diverse things to celebrate and a nice bottle of Champagne is cooling. . . so your over the top response really enhanced the mood here, in my kitchen. <br>

<br>

And I love that you spell "Programme" correctly, . . .<br>

<br>

but all I really wanted to know is: <br>

<em><strong> </strong></em><br>

<em><strong>What was the shutter speed you used to take that image?</strong></em><br>

<br>

<em><strong>If you could have a look at the EXIF details and tell me I would appreciate your effort</strong></em><br>

<em><strong> </strong></em><br>

<em><strong>Thanks,</strong></em></p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<p>Since the image was shot at f/2.8 at 800 ISO, I'd guess the shutter speed was somewhere near a nano-second :-)<br>

Seriously, I like the energy of the image but it's completely soft and the camera settings are more conducive to a dark church rather than outdoor daylight. Overlooking or minimizing the technical capture merits of an image seems, IMO, counter-productive to the purpose of a critique and the nature of the forum.</p>

<p>WW, Thanks for the consistency mention, I suspect I'd enjoy shooting side-by-side with you any day. On a personal note, I'm off on vacation today and will be taking a break from cell phones, work, and the internet.....you all take care.</p>

<p>IMO, a critique isn't to just laud a nicely captured moment, and dismiss any comments to the contrary. Everyone comes here to learn something so they can improve ... be that good elements or bad ... or both ... that we learn from. </p>

<p>Nothing is perfect ... in almost any wedding photo there will be a "but" ... a coulda, woulda, shoulda. If we discuss those openly, it doesn't mean the image is NG, it means we have something to learn and be aware of for future improvements. When that process stops, it's time to quit IMHO.</p>

<p>Nothing emblazons itself on your memory as a great moment slightly lessened due to some technical over-sight. I have done the same thing as Freya rushing from a dark church to the outside without changing my settings ... once you do that, you tend to not do it again : -) </p>

<p><strong>Freya, here's a suggestion to explore if you are so inclined</strong> ... <em>if your camera has this feature</em> (see your manual) ... you can often program user settings for a one button switch over to a different scenarios. For example: indoor settings with a Shutter priority, tungsten white balance and a higher ISO ... that switches to Aperture preferred, daylight white balance at a lower ISO. Take a look and see if that might help for on the fly hectic weddings. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Great shot. This photo works for me! It's one of those shots that people will try to imitate, but won't be able to duplicate.</p>

<p>I love the composition:<br>

The people surrounding the car form a circle around the bride. The brides arm, car body and windshield are at perfect angles to frame the bride. The DOF is precisely focused on the bride. The bride's expression is priceless. It' all about the bride!</p>

<p>If the bride ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I like the shot but have to ask myself: doesn't it have a point-n-shoot quality about it? A D700 with a 24-70 - we're talking some serious money: and then you ask yourself: is this the best it can do? The light is nicely diffused, you're shooting down not up against the sky: so why does it look like a snapshot? Yes, it is endearing, yes, it is cute and the bride will love it for years to come, but as a photograph it is not outstanding by any means. Not trying to be mean: just giving my honest opinion.</p>

<p>marc - i m very interested in your idea about setting a few programmes as back up in case I get a bit nervous. All of which I can set up on the rehersal day to make sure everything is nearly right! THATS WHY I JOINED PHOTO.NET- for these snippets of help. And as you say, I will NOT be making that mistake again - running about without taking 2 secs to change settings properly. I have a few more weddings coming up and hope to make a better difference.<br>

william & David - If you are ever going to shoot side by side, can I carry for coffees? (although I also need a flight from London)<br>

William - I hope you had a lovely champagne supper. My kind of supper. shutter speed was a joke. I am too embarressed to note it down now ;-)))<br>

Thanks Paul. The Bride has already ordered this photo on a large canvas for her husband. As long as she is happy!</p>