Wedding and Event Photography

Discussion in 'Wedding and Event' started by kelly_alley, Jun 12, 2017.

1. I've been in business shooting portraits for four years now, and I'd like to move into shooting more weddings and events. I have seconded for a few friends, but only have I done 2 or 3 of my own and they were all outside, and very rarely did I ever need off-camera flash for much of them. I consider myself pretty proficient with my lighting as long as it's in the studio and one or just a few subjects (newborns, headshots, couples, etc.).

I recently did a wedding and noticed that I often either had so wide of an aperture or too slow of a shutter speed to get tack-sharp focus. I shoot with a 5DmkIII, mostly with the 70-200 2.8 and 50mm 1.4 art lenses, but I just recently got a 24-70mm 2.8. I seemed to have more trouble with it. I use triggered flashes, with either bare flash or the MagMod sphere and/or bounce attachments. I notice that in group shots of families, I'm getting the people on the ends too soft. I'm paying attention to planes, and all of that. But I'm not confident enough in group photos to shoot weddings and wedding parties, families, etc. So before I take on weddings of my own, I want to get this right. Any suggestions and helpful pointers?

2. Hi, need a little more info for a useful answer. Roughly how many people are in such a group? How wide does it span, and how many rows of people? How far away are you shooting from (or what focal length), what f-number, and exactly where are you focusing? And how critical are you with regard to something being soft?

Without further info, a first guess is that your lens aperture is open too wide for the setup. Regarding focus points, a general rule with a moderate-sized group is to focus about 1/3 of the way into the group.

If it were me, and there was no obvious answer, I would do some systematic testing with the particular lens. I'd start out with the configuration that gave me problems, trying to duplicate it. (You don't need a full group, just one or two friends. Have one stand in the center, and one stand at one extreme side.) Focus on the center person, then shoot at a handful of f-stops (I'd suggest about f/4, 5.6, 8, and possibly 11). See how the person on the extreme side comes out. Then repeat the test with different focus points; you might want to have your center person step forward 3 or 5 feet (you focus on them), then step back the same distance.

After this set of tests you'll probably have a good idea of how sensitive your configuration is to focus points at different apertures. And you'll likely know what is the best sharpness you can hope to get.

Ps, if you can't press friends into service you can do it all yourself by using a tripod. Use a chair (or whatever you have) for the focus point, then once focused, click the lens switch to "manual." Then start the camera's self-timer while you run over to the extreme side position (which you have marked with a stick or stone, etc.)

tobyyee likes this.
  3. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

As I mentioned in my response to your previous post: you will reap very accurate and articulate feedback if you please attach one or two Sample Images which display the problem(s) that are causing you concern.

Please ensure that the EXIF attached to the images or at the least post the Shutter Speed; Aperture; ISO; Lens and Focal Length that was used.

I again stress that these shooting details and a sample image or two are very important when one is asking for analysis and feedback of these type of issues.

WW.

4. I agree that without any info or pictures your basically saying my pictures look bad what am I doing wrong? How are we suppose to help you?

5. People on the ends may be too soft because they are not in the plane of focus. Likely you need to stop down more for large groups. It is also possible that the lens has a de-centered element and needs adjustment.

6. Hello,
    I would like to see your work. So could you please share some pictures of your last project??

7. I also see your work first so please share some images.