Web Hosting Providers & Dedicated Servers

mark amy

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with web hosting providers offering dedicated

Linux server packages?

I know "you get what you pay for" and I'm happy to pay for a really good

service, but they all seem so expensive at around $300+ and then you don't seem

to get much diskspace or bandwidth. Are there any good ones out there for around

$50 or $100 per month?

I'm currently looking at www.dreamhost.com because their shared server packages

look really good with all the technical specs I need and they start you off with

5gb of diskspace and 5tb bandwidth per month, which also increases on a daily basis.

Any advice or experiences greatly appreciated.

Mark

(p.s. sorry about the category...wasn't sure where to put it!)

<p>I've heard dreamhost is pretty good for shared hosting.

<p>I think what you're looking for is a VPS - virtual private server. This gives your complete access to your server while still being affordable. Another reason to choose a VPS is that you're guaranteed a certain amount of processor time and memory - unlike shared hosting. I like <a href="http://www.knownhost.com/">KnownHost</a> and have had good reliability and service with them.

Todd's right. Virtualization has reached the point where there's almost no reason to pay monthly for your own dedicated hardware. You can get a remote console that feels like a dedicated box, your processes, storage, and network facilities are reasonably walled off from everything else that's going on on the physical machine... and it's so much more cost effective for the hosting shop that you can get what you need for a fraction of the cost of a dedicated server.

I run web servers all day, and I'm at the point where I pitch virtual servers to my customers first, and only grudgingly let them talk me into dedicated servers for them (and there's usually some corporate IT policy reasons for it, or the need for very serious processing horsepower to run apps beyond serving up web content). Virtual servers are good, and actually better for disaster recovery and reconfiguration as needed. Have fun! Buy a seat on the bus, not the bus.

We've been very happy with 1 and 1 Internet (1and1.com). Have had several dedicated Windows and Linux Servers there for several years. They're very reliable and include lots of free networked backup space and a fully configurable hardware firewalls. Very fast and very redundant. They also have very affordable Virtual Private Servers. Lots of bandwidth included. Most providers will be very expensive if you exceed your allowed bandwidth --- can easily cost you several hundred dollars or more. All of 1 and 1's server packages include over 1 terabyte bandwidth per month. I don't work for them. Compare all the fine print and don't be too impressed with large lists of included software or free domain names. The server and reliabilty are the important things. Best of all, if you decline the introductory discounts, they offer free setup and no contract. They also have an operation in the United Kingdom.

• 9 years later...

As others have said, dedicated does not make a lot of sense anymore for anything except corporate. I just jumped ship after 10 years of VPS with HostGator, in favor of InMotion Hosting's VPS plans. The HG price and a number of security concerns finally tipped the tables for me. I also administer another web system that uses Amazon's EC3/Cloudfront extensible services. PN uses this as well--and if you are looking at a LOT of traffic with top content delivery times--this is an area to look at. Beware, EC3 takes a lot more administrative know-how than the traditional LAMP dedicated or VPS setup.

As with most hosting providers, you get the better deals by paying up for a 6 month or a year term. Choose one that offers you a 30 day "shakedown" guarantee. This is if you are dissatisfied, your loot is refunded... :cool:

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!