Weather-sealed lenses and sensor protection

andrew_storey

<p>Hello - I shoot with a D800 oftentimes, believe it or not, coupled with the old Nikon 28-70 3.5-4.5. I really like this lens for its size, weight and optical quality. Anyway, unlike my 24 1.4, it's not (I don't think) weather-sealed. I do a lot of hiking and my D800 is always with me. Despite using the internal sensor cleaner, and using reasonable precautions, I find that the sensor gets spotty pretty quickly. My question is, to what extent does the weather-sealing found on some lenses help to prevent dust from entering the camera and on to the sensor? I don't feel comfortable cleaning the sensor myself, so this is sort of a costly issue. My local photo shop charges about $75 to clean the sensor. That adds up.<br>

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.<br>

<br />Thanks,<br>

Andrew</p>

<p>I shoot with the 28-70D quite often (a great lens), and the 28-105D, on my D800. I have not noticed an issue with sensor dust. But, I should think the newer lenses are design to 'breath' less air into the mirror box, but I'm not sure about that?</p>

<p>I wonder if there might be a simple balloon test we could devise to see how much air pumps out that back to the lens mount?</p>

<p>Something to think about.</p>

<p>if you use a rocket air blower after each outing, you can keep the sensor relatively clean without having to have it cleaned professionally all the time. also if you mainly use that lens and dont need to change lenses frequently, you can seal the gasket around the mount yourself with electrical tape.</p>

<p>Internal sensor cleaners are mostly nonsense, and rarely have any positive effect. Unless you're in hurricane force winds I doubt any dust is entering through your lens mount regardless of whether it's weather sealed or not. The weather sealed lenses help keep water out, but of course there are plenty of other areas water can enter a camera, or lens. If you have a problem with to much sensor dust you are most likely changing your lenses in dusty places. Unless you have no choice I'd avoid changing lenses outdoors.</p>