Wavering...

barryreid

<p>So, I've just picked up a Speedlite 133D for my collection from a local charity shop. The problem is I also got a Pentax Program A, 50/1.7 and 35-105/3.5 complete with original receipts, instructions etc. for a price that was too cheap to pass up (i.e. I can sellit for profit on *b*y. It is a really nicely designed camera and has, I think, a lot better handling any of the A-series bodies I have. Specifically, Metered manual that tells you how much over or under exposed you are, a proper DOF preview lever, sensibly designed grips and battery covers...</p>

<p>OK so I don't have all the lenses I'd need but the feel was just so good. I never quite got over my Pentax MX and handling the Program A has made me wonder if I should just retain the T90 with a couple of lenses for sentimental reasons then grab a few lenses and jump back to Pentax for my film based work.</p>

<p>Persuade me that FD is still good!</p>

<p>ARM TWIST ARM TWIST. Although I use my Nikon DSLR & Leica gear most - the T90 is a real gem, especially versatile because of its short flange to film distance...I can use my Nikon lenses, my Leica R lenses (stopped down to catch infinity), my Leica M lens heads (Visoflex focus mounts) and my Canon FD lenses on it. Don't keep it just for sentimental reasons.....use it :-)</p>

<p>Many of us Canonphiles are so hung up on the lack a adaptability of FD lenses to EOS bodies that we overlook the adaptability of other lenses to FD bodies, as Stephen has reminded us.</p>

<p>The T90 is the FD body I still use the most alongside my EOS gear, and it, along with my F-1N and very fine FD glass, is the reason I've hung onto and continued to use my FD gear.</p>

<p>James, I moved for the T90. Which is still a great camera but if I want an electronic body with TTL and Multi-spot metering I have a 1Ds... with I which shot a store opening and a fashion show in the last week. As to bodies and glass, well, lets just say "a few" ;-)</p>

<p>I asked because it's the range and quality (and relatively low cost) of FD glass, plus the joy of using a classic like the F-1N, that does it for me. (It's a cheaper mid-life crisis than classic cars, but the psychology is not much different). Guess it comes down to how much you would miss the lenses that you <em>wouldn't</em> keep.</p>

<p>Barry, cameras are so personal it's hard to persuade someone one way or the other. It sounds like you've got plenty of experience to make the call. Every camera system has pros and cons which is why some of us have multiple systems. Nothing wrong with using two different camera systems.<br>

I have a lot of gear and one thing I have learned over the years is the camera I use has little bearing on my ability to make good pictures. Specialized applications aside, it seems to matter not if new, old, film, digital,, Brand A or Brand B, all the pictures look like ME. Kind of like signing your name. All pens are not created equal but no matter which one you pick up, it's still your unique signature. <br>

So no matter if you can only afford one system or ten, pick what feels good to <strong>you</strong> and gives results that are satisfying and use it. The Canon T90 is certainly a worthy centerpiece of an excellent professional level system. Good luck in your choice.</p>

<p>Digital bodies are expensive enough that it wouldn't be very wise to own multiple systems - unless they actually help you make (more) money out of your photography. But film bodies are so cheap these days that I don't see why you would have to make a choice to keep only one, as it's become much more affordable to try & compare the features provided by different brands and models. Just keep both your Pentax and Canon 35mm gear for a while, use either or both as & when you feel like it, then sell some bodies and lenses eventually once you've convinced yourself that you're really not using those anymore and have no other reasons for hanging on to them.</p>

<p>I've been using FD for years, would never give it up. In the last couple of years though I've been amassing a comprehensive Minolta MD kit, because it's such great stuff. Well, I suppose I did give up all my A-series bodies, but I've kept the rest, and use whatever I want when the mood strikes. Having redundant systems does not bother me at all. I keep eyeballing Pentax and Olympus as well, but I know so little about them that I'm not really tempted. Yet.</p>

<p>Hi everyone<br>

I agree with Paul and Fred in that I would keep the FD kit anyway and if you want a Pentax get one as well!. I've stuck with Canon for my pro work (5D and 5Dmk2 and L series lenses) but over the past few years I've had a Leica M kit (now sold as I needed the cash) and various medium format cameras but I've always kept the FD kit because I love it and financially it's not really worth selling for the money I'd get for it.<br>

I'm now after a Contax N1 kit because I picked one up in a camera shop in London and loved it but I will never sell the FD kit.<br>

I believe it's the photographer not the camera that makes the difference but I also think having different cameras to use helps to keep the fun in taking pictures and that adding a new camera every now and again can only help to generate enthusiasm.<br>

Keep the FD kit and buy some more second hand film cameras - the more the merrier!.<br>

Best regards<br>

David</p>

<p>Thanks guys, interesting to read your thoughts.</p>

<p>Realistically I'm not that likely to give up on FD as I have A-1(+MD), AE-1, AE-1 Program, AL-1, AT-1, AV-1, EF, New F-1 (+Winder FN & AE Head), T70 & T90 bodies alond with the following lenses; 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 100/2.8, 135/2, 20-35L, 28-85/4, 35-70/3.5-4.5, 35-105/4, 70-210/4, 85-300/4.5. Also a load of other stuff like angle finders, speedlites, Handy Stand F (complete with manual diaphragm adapter)... I agree that the answer is probably to have both systems however, don't think my wife is too keen tho' as all the gear I've already got takes up enough space, apparently ;-)</p>

<p>I should also make it clear that I for me it's not a case of thinking I'll get better images with a Pentax, I <em>know</em> that I can't make better exposures than with the T90, heck I've used it for almost 20 years so I know all of it's quirks inside out! The fact is that I use my film cameras for fun and I tend to find myself drawn to the less overtly 'electronic' bodies in my collection i.e the A-series, F-1 and EF. I just tend to find that each of them has a slightly irritating flaws and the Pentax just seemed a bit more sorted.</p>

• 2 weeks later...