Watson bulk film loader

minn1871

I recently obtained a Watson Bulk Film Loader. I am trying to find

out where I can get a set of operating instructions for it and where

I can buy bulk film in the St. Paul, Minnesota area. Can anyone help

me? Yhank you.

Do you have the black 66 or the grey 100 model.

Assuming the grey one, insert roll and put the leader thru the hole and over the winding counter. Replace the cover and rotate it so the film slit closes.

Pull out three inches of film and attach to the spool using tape all the way around the spool and attaching to the film on both sides.

Put the spool in the can and add the end cap and place in winding area. Close cover and set counter to 37. Open film slit by rotating the film cover to open. Door must be shut and lever down to make this happen. Wind on as many exposures as you desire plus 3.

The 3 become the leader. Close slit and open cover. Cut off film near film sprocket counter. Force 3 more inched thru closed trap and attach it to next spool. Repeat above.

Watch the film counter on the camera so you do not exceed the number of frames you put on the roll, otherwise the last two or three will be on the exposed tail with the tape.

The black 66 model has issues and is what I started with. Made a lot nicer, but doesn`t work as well as the doop will pop open when winding up the film. I modified the inside of the flat cover after 40 years to look like in inside of the cheaply made grey one. Now I have the best of both and there is a roll of film in each right now.

Two problems with the black are the film casset tends to roll in the direction of the rotation of the winding crank thus popping open the flat cover and the film sometimes loops up off the counter so you loose count.

Solve the first by either adding additional height to the pad on the cover that touches the flat portion of the film cassete. Or if there is none, you need to add some material. Use balsa wood, box wood or a layer of matt board or a portion of popsicle stick.

the film looping problem is solved by a small piece added to the cover just next to the film counterwheel. this is shapped such that it only touches the film in the sprocket hole area. Mine is shapped at a 45 degree angle so it only touches the very edge. It is located just next to the counter wheel towards the film.

After modifying it, do the actual winding in a dark room until you are confident it is working. If the cover pops. you will not expose film in mid roll.

If you can`t get it to work, I can photograph the mod and send it to you. I don`t have a digital camera, so it involves some darkroom work that I don`t want to do unless necessary. You may send a private mail by going to community in the front, then directory.

Calumet in Chicago has 100 foot rolls and cassets. Keep the cassets clean and replace after 5 rolls.

I tried the economy route, and ruined more film than I care to admit to because the casset would flip up and pop the little door off in the middle of loading. Also, the frame counter seemed problematical, causing me to end up with some short rolls, and a few that wouldn't fit on a reel for development. Finally, I ruined a couple of rolls that I shot due to the end cap not being on all the way on the reloadable cassets. So I finally concluded that buying from a discount retailer was cheaper and less worrisome, ruined film and time considered.

In response to where you can find film locally, national camera and video exchange usually has a decent stock, west photo of of university has a bit, and i think possibly universal color labs in new hope usually has some too...

Careful use of the old model requires no modifications. I loaded hundreds of rolls with each of two before I started relying on photography to pay the bills...the clients paid for the film. Don't think I ever messed up a roll...loaded HP4, Ektachrome, 2475...