Watkins Glen

jim1169

<p>I am planning a trip to Watkins Glen to do some waterfall photo. I would appreciate any tips on trails, specific waterfalls, and motels in the area, as not all of us are willing to camp out. However, any info on campsites w/in the park will also be appreciated. We are thinking of a summer time shoot. We are thinking of spending 3-5 days.<br>

Thx for all your help. Jim</p>

<p>Jim, too many to list here but there are some great waterfalls in that area, not just in Watkins Glen but from there over to Ithica. You can get details by Googling 'finger lakes waterfalls', 'New York waterfalls', 'Ithica waterfalls', etc. You'll come up with so many you'll have trouble shooting them in the time you have available. Fortunately there's not much traveling between them. Can't help you with accomodations though.</p>

<p>Hey Jim, </p>

<p>The Watkins Glen area has a lot of nice falls. Hector Falls is beautiful. Eagle Cliff Falls, Shequaga Falls, Rainbow Falls, Aunt Sarahs Falls and Cavern Cascade are all real nice. Withen Watkins Glen State Park there are many falls and cascades. If you are in the area you should see Buttermilk Falls, very nice.</p>

<p>The best thing to do is just search the web for the falls I mentioned or just search Watkins Glen. It is a very popular spot and there should be a LOT of info.</p>

<p>Derek</p>

<p>I stayed here last spring. Nice quiet place the cheaper cabins are pretty old. but I had no problem with it. The bar/restaurant was great. <a href="http://www.senecalodge.com/">http://www.senecalodge.com/</a><br>

Get in the park early before everybody gets in your way. Make sure you take extra footwear & socks. There's a chance that you'll get wet feet.</p>

<p>I lived in that area for many years. There are lots of great waterfalls around both Ith<strong>a</strong> ca and Watkins Glen. Don't miss Taughannock Falls State Park between Trumansburg and Ith<strong>a</strong> ca, just off of Rt. 89.</p>

<p>Google images is your friend. Try:</p>

<p>Watkins Glen waterfalls: http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&sa=1&q=Watkins+Glen+waterfall&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0</p>

<p>Ithaca waterfalls: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=Ithaca+waterfall&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1</p>

<p>... about 20,000 nice images on each. Google Images is like scouting your location ahead of time, but done from your armchair. ;-)</p>

<p>WRT trails, there are the well-marked, well-paved tourist trails to each of the major falls, but there is almost always an unmarked, unofficial foot path alongside every stream and rapids in the area. However, beware of getting "cliffed out" if you are hiking / bushwacking downstream. If anyone in your party isn't comfortable scrambling down some wet, slick rocks, don't be ashamed to turn around, go back upstream a bit and go around the drop-off.</p>

<p>In addition to the waterfalls, this is beautiful farm, lake and vineyard country. There are lots of nice B&B's, country restaurants, etc. The architecture on the Cornell campus, the Johnson Art Museum, tours through the Corning Glass works, glider flights in the Elmira vicinity, etc. all present delightful photo ops. </p>

<p>If you want to stick to more natural / pastoral pursuits, there are many small state forests with burbling books, etc. nearby. Try some hikes in the Connecticut Hill area (access it from Conn. Hill Rd. off of Rt. 13, south of Ithaca). If that doesn't appeal to you, Google Images for Shindagin Hollow, Danby State Forest, Arnot State Forest (maple syrup operation used to be fun), etc.</p>

<p>In the old days, in the summer, the flat rocks in the creek adjacent to Forrest Home Rd (Ithaca), and the much more secluded shores of the reservoirs on 6 mile creek (just to the south of Rt. 79, just to the east of Ithaca) used to be favorite spots for sunbathing in various states of undress. ;-)</p>

<p>Have fun. The finger lakes is a great place to spend a week or even several years!</p>

<p>Tom M</p>