Waterproof cases.

djolk

<p>I'm curious about how people carry their gear when there is a good chance it will get very wet. I figure most people just go for a Pelican case, but I've seen some instances where they don't hold water, or will even pull water into them because of bad seal and pressure differentials. Perhaps the best idea is to place camera inside a dry bag inside a case, however then it is difficult to retrieve.</p>

<p>I am talking DSLR and a few lenses here, though perhaps the best option would be to get a water proof point and shoot. Any one have any advice, thoughts, stories?</p>

<p>see http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00aaVg where a related topic was gone over with little agreement. Perhaps you can run a big fan off a 12-volt battery (joke relating to earlier thread)?<br /> I don't think the 'waterproof' option is necessarily only P&S, but then it does become expensive when you go to the underwater shooting cases, etc.</p>

<p>I would have said the Pelican cases for your gear for shooting in the canyon camp (or where ever) and a water resistant P&S for the rapids, etc. Hadn't heard of failures, but I probably wouldn't have, given my avoidance of rapids and the like. Let us know what solution you settle on. Who knows, I may still raft down the Grand Canyon?</p>

<p>We use (my son and I) smaller dry bags. Sea to Summit is the brand we use for canoe trips. Each camera with a lens attached goes in a bag when not in use and attached to the canoe in case we over turn, has never happened yet but you never know. Our other lens are in separate dry bags fastened to the canoe in the same way and within reach if the need to change a lens arises. We leave this Saturday to paddle 149 miles down the Upper Missouri in Montana. </p>

<p>I am planning some trips where there is a pretty good chance of things being under water. Pelican case is probably fairly safe if your gear is inside a dry bag in it, but makes accessing it difficult. The underwater housing is pretty expensive, haven't really given it much thought, I guess you need housing specific for your camera, and lens combo?</p>

The key with most waterproof cases is to get one with an O ring, then meticulously follow the instructions on maintaining

the O ring. Keep a spare O ring with you. There is usually a gel you have to use with them.

If you don't take care of the O ring you might as well store your camera in a paper bag

<p>Daniel;<br>

The answer to your last question is yes. You can go the pelican case route with or with out your gear inside a dry bag inside the case. It's "YOUR" gear! It takes me less than 15 seconds to get my camera out of it's dry bag to take a shot and about 30 seconds to get it back in and resume paddling....I find that to be a hassle, (and sometimes on some stretches of a river it just can't be safely done) but I have not come up with anything better, yet, for non waterproof gear. If by chance you come up with a way to safely stow a pelican case in a canoe, that allows equal or faster access, take a picture of it!! :-) In my opinion, one or both of two things are going to happen if you go that route. 1. You're going to take 99.9% of your photos from shore. 2. "If" there are non photographers (maybe even if they are) in the group, they're going to become really irritated when you have to beach the canoe every time you want to take a picture of something.</p>

<p>When I go fishing I take the Pelican M2075 Storm Case, Carry my D7000w/grip 17-70mm & 55-300mm. its perfectly small , tough , waterproof , and to boot it keep the equipment cool while 90' outside and in direct sunlight.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I have spent some time in my kayak with my gear — both on the North Pacific and on inland waters. Some trips running as long as weeks, others only day trips.</p>

<p>I have a Nikon D300 (medium sized dSLR) and several lenses.</p>

<p>While actually paddling, I find the dry bag is the option that has worked best for me — as Doug said, secured to the craft. The size of Pelican-style case you'd need to carry any significant amount of gear is very large. I use 5 and 10 liter bags for my camera and a few lenses — though I minimize lens changes in the kayak!</p>

<p>Kayaking is inherently a wet activity, but I have not yet soaked any equipment: getting it in and out the the dry bag is a pain, but it feels good to fold it up tightly when things look like they might get rough.</p>

• 1 year later...

<table width="680" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td colspan="6" width="680" height="40">

<p>Hello everyone!<br>

<br /> My name is Sheela and I got into this Forum to find out which is the best option to buy a waterproof bag so I could go for some outdoor activities, the bag needs to be capable of keeping my personal belongings dry!<br>

Could you guys help me out on this search?<br>

I need a bag pack that I could adapt to my bicycle and keeps my camera safe, the size should be medium, and about the price???? Well...., you know, the cheaper the better!<br>

Don't forget to keep in mind quality, sometimes the cheapest option makes you purchase twice!<br>

Ok, Thanks to all for any possible help! </p>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>