Wasting/Saving ink when purging to change between photo and matte black

<p>I use an Epson R2400 and print on both matte and semi-gloss papers, so of course have to switch between the photo black and matte black inks. My method of purging the ink prior to printing on the new paper type is to print a file I have made that is pure black and covers about a quarter of a letter-sized sheet of paper. I work from the assumption that this empties out the print head plenty enough to be ready for a print on the new paper type. Can anyone find fault in this approach?</p>

<p>I read about people using Epson 3800 printers spending a fortune purging their blacks for a swap, and I wonder why it is that they aren't using a similar technique. Is it because the tanks are separate from the heads, or that the firmware in the machine won't let them do anything BUT do an all-cartridges purge when they put in the new cartridge.</p>

<p>Or am I fooling myself, and my printer is actually doing an all-cartridges purge when I swap tanks, and I'm just not paying close enough attention?</p>

<p>I have a R2880 and as far as I've been able to tell, the printer forces a purging cycle when you swap cartridges. Of course it only effects the black cartridge and it doesn't appear to me to use up all that much ink. In addition, you can only swap cartridges when the printer is on as the cartridge holder is not in position without power; don't know if this is the case with the 2400.</p>

<p>If someone use a lot of ink wapping the black ink in a 3800 is doing something wrong..the 3800 use 4ml and 2ml during the switch.</p>

<p>The 4800 and up model need to purge all the plastic tube line its a very different story, and a very expensive one...you lost around 80ml of ink doing so.</p>

<p>When i had a 2400, i didtn even print anything other than a BW image to clean the head, use less ink than a pure full 8x10 of black only, and you get a image at the same time.</p>

<p>I always suggest to people to make up there mind on one kind of finish, or at least print all they need on one finish and wait until they have enough job to print on the other finish..it could be cheaper to get 2 printer if you are always going back and forth between gloss and matte, thats why some people i know that use there printer commercialy have 2 of them..or get the new 7900 to get both black.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If someone use a lot of ink wapping the black ink in a 3800 is doing something wrong..the 3800 use 4ml and 2ml during the switch.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>True, unless after the swap it turns out that the black nozzles are clogged. This happens to me a lot. After the swap, lots of cleaning is required - sometimes even a power clean.</p>

<p>If I'm doing something wrong, I would love to know what.</p>

<p>I'm hoping this won't be an issue for me any more - I've decided to do most of my printing on baryta paper, so I won't need to swap inks very much any more.</p>

<p>Yes, I use genuine Epson inks, bought from B&H, and each time I switch black inks, I see that the "new" black is clogged and requires several cleaning cycles to unclog.</p>

<p>I'm a little surprised that you're surprised, Patrick. We have been through this before - you say Epsons never clog, I say it happens all the time to me. Perhaps I'll scan my cleaning cycle patterns and post them here? I swear I'm not making this stuff up.</p>

<p>Thanks, everybody. I bet I was confusing what I'd read about the 4800 with the 3800. Sorry for the confusion. I will keep using my "print out the black ink" method, even though I suspect the 2400 is doing what Alan says the 2880 does - purges just the exchanged black cartridge.</p>

<p>And, like Patrick suggests, I try to keep printing to one type of paper for as long as possible before switching over.</p>