Was the Argus C the first Behind the Lens Shutter RF?

dave_g1

<p>Just something I was curious about. Was the Argus C the first rangefinder with a <em>behind the lens leaf shutter?</em></p>

<p>Would this make Continas, Paxettes, Olympus Aces, et al. "Argus clones"? ;D But seriously I would like to know if this particular breed of camera started with the Argus.</p><div>00ZHIA-395153584.JPG.2bed9c042c954355d9ac8a6abbc699af.JPG</div>

<p>The Argus C lacked a linked rangefinder. The first Argus with one was the C2 in '38. Kodak made the #1 special in 1916. Graflex got into the rangefinder market around 1912. The Kodak Bantam special is almost 35mm (828 format) and was introduced in 36. Plenty of European folders had linked rangefinders by the 30s. Welta made a 35mm folder with a linked rangefinder in 36. I'm sure that there are plenty of others.</p>

<p>Yes. But did they have a <em>behind the lens leaf shutter? </em>Is what I want to know. The Bantam Special uses a conventional between the lens shutter for instance (as did the 1A special, and so did the speed graphic, in conjunction with a focal plane shutter).</p>

<p>I want to know if the Argus C introduced the concept of a behind the lens leaf shutter rangefinder, or if it was used earlier by anybody else. Some very nice cameras ended up using the layout - the Aires V and Diax IIb for instance, so it would be interesting to know where it came from.</p>

<p>Mark, you also missed the real question here. Which is still was it the first <strong>behind the lens leaf shutter rangefinder camera.</strong></p>

<p>I've not ever read of one earlier, but I know that in the 30s lots of companies came and went rapidly, so I do not want to dismiss the possibility that there might have been an earlier one.</p>