Was asked to display work in a local bank

<p>I was asked to display some of my work in a local bank. I hesitantly accepted. I am always reluctant to print and frame my work but I figured it was almost like having a gallery with no overhead. I just had 5 20x30 prints framed and I'm happy with how they came out. I'm going to try to charge about $500 a piece. Has anyone else done something similar? Did you make any sort of contract? I am just assuming they get free artwork (temporarily) and I might get a sale or two. I'm not sure what to do for hanging, if they want nails in the walls etc. I'm sure the lighting isn't up to gallery specs but there isn't anything I can do about that. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm worried about possible damage to my work, what if it falls on someone etc. Maybe I'm over thinking it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am always reluctant to print and frame my work but I figured it was almost like having a gallery with no overhead. I just had 5 20x30 prints framed.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Unless you were going to print to that size and frame the prints in any event (which seems unlikely given the first ten words) you have overhead at least to the amount you paid, if any, for the printing and framing. Right now, you don't even know if the bank will agree to a contract much less one that contains risk of loss language for damage to your art, liability ect. <br /><br />It may be flattering to be "asked to display" work and you are prudent to address these issues but does it make any business sense to go to all this effort for a one off event? I comes down to your priorities.<br /><br /></p>

<p>You should have clarified the details and got a contract before spending any money. As John points out there are a host of things that can go wrong, such as damage etc. Worse still they may not permit you to mark the images as for sale.... they may just think they are doing you a great favour by allowing you to display your work in their bank.</p>

It is flattering to be asked and I think you do need to get some clarification on exactly what is being asked. I would be surprised if they would offer the possibility of sales but they might well allow you to have your name and an email address next to each photograph. You would need to cover your printing costs and they need to pay for the public liability insurance to say the least. We must not overlook the aspect of how flattering it must be asked, but do please get some clarifications.