Warning: Real people don't look this way.

<p>It is amazing to me how stupid marketing people must think we are as a general public. I don't think my gorgeous wife is going to "Look like celeb WXYZ" if she uses product 1234. The cereal bowl on the front never looks like what is in the box. The burger in the add never looks like what is on the tray or in the bag.<br>

This is no different than the warning on the hair dryer..."Do not use while bathing".....It just never ends.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, a reasonable percentage of the general public appear that they are that stupid. Some of the tween set do think the product will do that, also some of the mid 20's people in CA and elsewhere don't believe the sign that says if you slip in the water and go over the water falls, you will die. :(</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"It is amazing to me how stupid marketing people must think we are as a general public. "</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mark, </p>

<p>In societies where perception is reality, it is a marketer's job to create the most favourable impression, thus the primary purpose of marketing is to build brand recognition, create product identity and skew consumer perception of its product over its competitors'. It was never required to be truthful, nor should it be because it's all about the intangibles and unverifiables.</p>

<p>Mark: The idea of an ad like that isn't to document specific expected results, but to inspire action (to buy, to use, etc). If you've been alive for a few years, you know how to calibrate your rational expectations. It's sort of like the way that only 12 year old girls take love letters literally, right?<br /><br />As for warnings about not using your hair drier while in the tub... you must realize that's not the manufacturer thinking you're going to be that stupid. That's trial lawyers convincing juries that the user - a normal person - couldn't possibly have known not to use electrical appliances in the water, and thus should be paid millions of dollars because of injury when doing so. You don't really think that the manufacturers <em>want</em> to have to say all of that, do you? They are forced to, by an insanely litigious sue-anyone-who-makes-anything industry.</p>

<p>In Stalin's day, whole groups of people were air-brushed out of photographs as they fell into "disfavor."</p>

<p>Here are some work shots of something in progress, as I discover the "context sensitive" choices in my new version of Photoshop. There's a lot of work left to do, but this shows the direction of the project at least. ;)</p>

<p>In the words of a professional editing shop from years ago</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Altering reality since we found out it was possible</p>

</blockquote><div>00Z7oO-385199584.jpg.fe79db1bdb85515a6a6fd0f53d620748.jpg</div>

<p>Well, there is also another side to it, however nasty that side might come across. Most women are reasonably attractive between a certain age if they have eaten sensibly and exercised. There are a handful of stunners who are just that, stunners. The reasonable lot are your Sex in the City brand five years over the hill or in the case of Kim, twenty years over the hill. Women want to beauty themselves as they are comparing themselves to others all the time. It isn't so much about pleasing the other half.<br>

In the industry I work in four days each week, I do happen to meet women who are in the stunning league. They do get spots once in a while. Why not hide it in an advert.</p>

<p><br />Matt,<br />I agree with the silliness of it all. I'm sure there is an hilarious web page somewhere with examples of the most egregious examples. It is the fear, against all reason, of being sued rather than the actuality of many real suites having gotten to a jury. Plus, the knowledge by the alleged victims that an arbitrated settlement, no matter how outrageous is relatively painless. The response by the ad people that the pictures are "aspirational" is inarguable. <br>

Holy crap Starvy! I mean, Holy crap Starvy… ! You leave me speechless!<br>

I'm waiting for you witty people to suggest some interesting<br />warning labels.</p>

<p>Michael and Matt, you are both right of course! I sell a major product line of recreational vehicle products and am all too familiar with litigation, marketing, I was just trying to point out like Alan the silliness of it all......</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I wonder how much of our perception of reality (perception of what is possible or even so) is influenced by endless television and movies. How long before that perception overwhelms our first hand perception of reality?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It already has overwhelmed the collective subconcious of Americans for the past 50 years, sad to say.<br /> There are only two types of people in this world : Those with TV and those without.</p>

<p>====</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Models are always beautiful!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Bullshyt ! Most (white) models today are either underweight , over-tanned, or worse, both .... phooey ! <br /> Looking like a heroin cadaver only works if you're Mick Jagger.</p>

<p>Some years ago, a well-known camera manufacturer advertised its new soft-focus portrait lens using a photograph of Joan Collins. The standing joke among our group of photographers was, "Use this lens and all your portrait subjects will all come out looking like Joan Collins." I think the advertising authorities should assume that the general public have some common sense.</p>

<p>How far will the "Photoshop Police" go? <br /> Turn the process around, (similar to JDM's two images). Are green screen images going to be banned, too? <br /> If not, why not?<br>

Maybe the governmental control exercised in the cosmetic ads, is due mostly from declining ethics on the part of editors. <br /> I chuckle at this here in the States...looking at all the bogus pictures on the checkout line Tabloids. <br /> Remember the TV Guide cover with Oprah's head, put on an old picture of Ann Margret's body and glittery dress?</p>