Warming vs. Regular Polarizing Filters

erik_h._pronske

I would like to get an opinion on warming polarizing filters. I know

that the use of filters are largely a matter of taste, but is the

warming polarizer going to give good or better results than the

regular polarizer? My typical shooting in nature is scenics,

wildflower close-ups, and other generally interesting things in

nature. Most of my non-people shooting will now be with the new

Ektachrome 100VS (this film is wonderful for nature and truly ISO 100)

and some with Velvia (@ISO 40) and occasionally with Ektachrome 100S

and SW.

Good - yes. Better - no. Just different. Sorry to state the obvious, but if you want a wamer tone, then a warming polarizer will help, if you don't, it won't.

Do you shoot with a warming filter most of the time? If not, would you want a warm tone on all your polarized shots?

You said it yourself, filters are a matter of taste, and nobody can tell you what your taste should be!

Erik

I have not tried a warm-pol filter but I do often put an 81A or 81B over my own CIR-POL filter to remove the blueish colour cast that can occur with a polarizing filter. I tend to do this for general landscapes taken on bright sunny days rather than, say, photographing a waterfall or stream in woodland shade where I might use a pol to remove glare. I nearly bought a Heliopan warming polarizer, but bottled at the last minute due mostly to cost and bought one of their normal filters (still expensive but great quality). I suppose with a normal pol you can always add the warm-up as and when needed. For an example of a pol & 81B try my shot of Blea Tarn and the Langdale Pikes in the Lake District, England.

http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/subpages/gardner/gardner2.html

I have a warm and reg polarizer and I find that it is nice for one thing, and that is to add even more warmth to an already warm scene. I shot a great frame in RMNP last fall at sunrise with the first light hitting the aspens. I have tried to warm a scene that was overcast of rushing water and did not like the results. I used Velvia on both of these. A polarizer and an 81A should give the same results. Hope this is some help. For a nice warm effect, I really like the Tiffen Warm/soft #3. This thing, when used correctly, can give some wonder results. I like it better than the warm mist I also have.

To answer Dave's question, some warming polarizers are circular and some are linear. Tiffen's warm pol, for example, is linear. The Tiffen's warmth is also not an 81A, but is an 812. Other companies offer warm circ. pols. Warming pols are strictly a matter of taste. I own the Tiffen, and I seldom use it.

• 6 months later...

To second John's comments, there are both circular and linear warming polarizers . . . however, expect to pay a lot if you're not going with the Tiffen. Using B&H 55mm prices as a benchmark, where applicable:

<br>

<br>

Tiffen warming polarizer [linear only]: $29.75<br>

B+W warm tone polarizer: linear $142.50, circular $159.50<br>

Heliopan warm polarizer: linear $164.95, circular $199.95<br>

Singh-Ray circular polarizer/A-13 warming filter: $159.95 (Cokin-P)

<br><br>

My Tiffen 55mm should be making its appearance soon in my Christmas stocking, so I have no experience with it yet. However, since it's an 812 + polarizer in one, and I specifically bought this filter to get rid of vignetting when I stack a polarizer and an 812, I forsee lots of use, especially for waterfalls -- I find they photograph best polarized on a cloudy day, and Velvia and E100VS both come out very cool in that lighting.

• 4 weeks later...
I've got a Tiffen Warm Circular Polarizer, which I bought last year around March form B&H. I am very happy with the result of this filter. I've tried regular polarizer before but I still prefer this one. Now, the problem is I couldn't find it anymore either in magazines or B&H homepage. Maybe Tiffen has discontinued it or nobody is selling it anymore.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...