Wanted: ultra-cheap, photographer-tolerant country outside U.S.

lex_jenkins

Well, this is my first post (and visit) to the Travel Photography

Forum and, sure 'nuff, my question is about as lame as most newbie

questions. Apparently several years of participation on photo.net

hasn't taught me to ask better questions...

I want to do a little traveling and photography outside the U.S.

while I still can. Unfortunately a nasty car wreck in 2001 left me

with back and neck injuries that are getting worse instead of

better. I'm worried that if I wait too long I'll never be in any

kind of shape for travel.

The problem is that I need to stretch my miniscule savings as far as

possible. I'd like to spend up to six months at this, assuming I

don't fall apart too soon.

Being a fairly spontaneous sorta person I don't have my mind set on

any particular place or places. In fact, I'd definitely like to

avoid the beaten track. Several years ago the Czech Republic sounded

enticing but now it seems overdone.

Since I already live in Texas going to Mexico doesn't really seem

like international travel. And I can always view my grandparents'

slides from their trip to Mexico during the 1960s - I doubt I could

get any better photos than they did with their Instamatic.

A couple of folks have suggested Venezuela as tourist-friendly and

inexpensive (favorable exchange rate). Any comments and, especially,

suggestions for specific places to visit will be very much

appreciated.

I'm also thinking Sri Lanka. While it isn't necessarily the most

travel friendly place for Westerners they can definitely use our

money since they were hit pretty hard by floods. And the challenge

of documentary photography rather than the usual travel photography

appeals to the former journalist in me.

Since Sri Lanka is a skip away from India I suppose that would make

sense as well. Over the years I've heard enough in general about

travel in India to feel comfortable visiting there. I'll just need

to study up on the culture of South India since that's where I'd

likely go after Sri Lanka.

So, there's an approximate idea of the kinds of places I'm interested

in: Cheap, not too touristy, doesn't have to be pretty (I'm mostly

interested in the people). I'm not concerned about potentially

dangerous political sitatuions - as I discovered in 2001, it's just

as easy to get killed by a careless driver in the suburbs as by a

bullet during a civil war.

I'm definitely not interested in places, however cheap, where

Westerners have made all tourists look bad through misbehavior, not

respecting the local culture and by exploiting their people.

Otherwise I'm wide open to suggestions. This will probably be my one

and only opportunity to travel outside the U.S. (other than Baja

California 25 years ago) and I don't want to spend it in a Club Med

or the usual tourist traps in the the Caribbean, Bahamas, etc.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cuba, cheap and close by for you. Love to go there one day! Actualy, WILL go there in the very near future, probably before 2006 is over.

Judging by the number of people shot travel photogs seem to come back with, it must be very friendly. You may have to take a detour through Canada or Mexico to get there, though!

I would put strongly suggest Myanmar (Burma if you prefer) because of its people. The Burmese have been defined "the gentler oppressed people on Earth", and how true this is. Virtually 100% of the population is deeply religious (Buddist) and this make them going through life with a smile and a wonderful attitude - which of course is exactly what the bands of crazy generals and drug criminals who "rule" the country exploit to put them down. Just to give you an example: we spent a day an night on the boat from Mandalay to Pagan, and it is customary that at each of the countless stops local women will board the boat to sell their clothes, vegetables, etc. After buying and buying, my wife was forced to tell a young lady that she could not possibly buy anything from her. She replied that she had two small children at home, and whether we could not give her something for the children. When my wife made the gesture of giving her a little money, she was shocked and promptly refused it. What she was asking for was some sweets or possibly something that could be used as a toy. My wife was moved to tears. An example in the opposite direction: an evening in the hotel we were staying there was a large social affair for or with the local political boss. This guy was sitting at the main table with his back to the main hall, and proceeded to eat his meal and chat with the three or four people at his table while an endless procession of "lower" guys came to his table to each deliver a small salute (to his back) and then bow repeatedly. Not for a single moment did this SOB bother to turn and sort of acknowledge what was going on. I know several other Asian countries rather well, but in my book as a human experience and interacting with people Myanmar is by far the best.

I was born in the UK but spent a large percentage of my teenage years over there.

You should be able to freely visit any part of the island under government control.

It is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that anyone will try to harm a tourist on purpose unless they are a robber.Of course if you go anywhere in the world you can run that risk.It is not in the interest of the government or the rebels to harm foreign tourists.

We had many English friends come over to visit us from the UK many times and we haved toured around the country without any problems.

With the Tsunami alot of coastal transport routes were badly affected and only now are getting back to normal according to my parents.

Train travel is not very good in Sri Lanka.Public Transport is OK but being Asia they tend to drive like they are on a deathwish.At least they are on time!:)

The best thing would be to hire your own vehicle if you intend to do any personal travel.

Also it is worth avoiding the beaches since there is more to visit in Sri Lanka than this.

I know this is a very touristy recommendation but you should try to visit Kandy - the "hill capitol" and the Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage.

Also you should try to visit Nuwara Eliya which has an olde world feeling to it and the surrounding areas.

Also it is worth visting the ancient city of Anuradhapura which is over 2500 years old.The GIANT stupas there have to be seen to be believed.

There are also the ancient statues at Polonnaruwa and the rock fortress at Sigiriya and it's frescos.

There is also the Yala National Park.

You money should do OK there too as at the monet on USD is worth a hundred rupees.

Sorry to hear about the neck/back problems - do not become a "horizontalis consultant" - keep working at it as you can often at least stop it getting worse (personal experience).

Assuming you are not intending 6 months in one location I would offer the following thoughts (I am basing cheap on a UK perspective) :-

Europe - do not discount the Czech Republic especially Prague great place and still relatively cheap.Portugal is about the cheapest place in Western Europe - Lisbon I loved and is the cheapest big city I know of (bit of a faded lady but with style) and the Atlantic seaboard/western coast is stunning and the Algarve, although touristy has a lot to offer - lovely people as well.Rome is a bit dearer but still a great city so would fit it in if I could.There is a lot to see in Europe but my vote for the "must see" sites are Pompei/Herculaneum and the Alhambra (Granada) if I could only pick two.Sadly the UK is becoming ever more expensive and London (I know it is my own home patch but after much thought it is a great city) is a costly destination.

East and Southern Africa - the game parks are just something special.Kenya & Tanzania can be cheap but are not easy to do as an independant traveller and getting there can be expensive.It is not only game parks, there are aspects that may well appeal on the documentary level as well (not necessarily happy ones).Needs research.As for Southern (South) Africa I am not sure how it fits in to the cheap category, others may know, but if it still is then give it a thought as well. Madagascar is unique in many ways (I really enjoyed it) but I'm short on upto date information.

Like you I have still to get to the rest of the world - there is so much to do - and will watch other replies with interest.

Good luck.

Surprisingly - Karachi is a fabulous city for photographers. It is not the first city that would enter the head of a would-be tourist and this , paradoxically, is what makes it a good choice. Eat like a king for a dollar, speak English to many of the locals, meet the most amazing people (many of whom would be honoured to be photographed). Accommodation is cheap, and you might even try Indian massage for your back. I was there last Christmas and I will be there again this coming Christmas (Insh'Allah).

I am of obviously Western appearance and met only with friendliness from the Pakistani people.

Good luck,

Sean.

PS If you read the US or UK foreign office advice on their web-sites, you will be put off and miss the experience of a lifetime.

Lex-I can wholeheartedly recommend Chile to you. Fare is a little expensive but cheap once you get down there. The country has three distinct climate zones and all are interesting. The southern part of the country will blow you away. Volcanoes, rushing waterfalls,thermal baths,lots of open seascape.You also have the Andes Mtns. The food is excellant, the wine is cheap and the women are beautiful. You can almost sleep on the beach if you want. There are still beutiful places in the world and this is one of them. I've been there three times and will return again.

Wherever you go please enjoy and have great time. Thanks for your efforts here at Photo.net

Best, Peter

Thailand is very westerner friendly, and rather easy to travel in...also VERY cheap. I'd also consider (err, or I should say I AM considering) Cambodia (Ankgor Wat). For some reason Myanmar (Burma) has managed to get off my radar screen, but I do have some plans to shoot there, but need to figure out who to talk to in the military junta to get permission to go into certain areas...hmmm...Laos can be dicey, I do know that certain areas of the countryside are simply to dangerous (from the banditos) for foreigners to go into. What REALLY came to mind when I read your post is Northern Thailand, The Golden Triangle...and specifically, the hill tribes (yeah, yeah...some DO ask for a small payment for photographing them).

I LIVE in Taiwan, travel here is cheaper than in the U.S., hard to get around without a car...err...and after over a decade, I can't figure out WHAT to shoot (just kidding). In other words, I've been here so long that I can't see the forest through the trees).

Cuba is actually the place I would retire to if I could get my wife sold on Spanish, so I'd definitely vote for that :-).

Sri Lanka is great, the people are extremely friendly and photogenic, but it feels too developed for me. I prefer Cambodia, but I lived there for 6+ years so I'm biased. I returned this year for the first time since the '90s and had a great time. The main thing is to get away from the tourist hordes. Once you do that, the photographic possibilities are endless. Just hire a guide/translator and the place is yours. Burma and Laos are pretty much the same deal, but you have more restrictive govt's in both places. After so long in Cambodia, Thailand feels like Switzerland to me now.

<p>

Lots of shots in <a href=" http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=184426" target="_blank">this folder </a>.

As part of your adventure, please consider Elderhostel if you are at appropriate age (55 or better, I think): www.elderhostel.org. They are a nonprofit educational outfit that has long provided inexpensive experiences of all kinds and levels in many parts of the world. Some are more organized with education and local trips than others which include more free time. Everything from quilting history to winemaking to mountain climbing. They need our support to keep doing it.

For example, in September, a couple years ago, we spent 6 days in a fine room on the beach in Florence, Oregon, with topflight instructors in marine mammals and many other fields (masters degrees and up, actually working in the field), for about $630 apiece. Includes room, meals and all local travel once you get yourself there. Boats to whale watch (6 gorgeous blue whales in 2 hours), explore the river, hikes, the works! Subjects included geology, history, marine biology, plants, birds, animals, fish, photography (retired Disney cinematog and producer), etc. Might serve as an orientation and you can go on your own before and after. Good luck and congratulations on the opportunity!

Two thoughts come to mind immediately:

1) Vietnam - Not many Americans outside of the "conflict" have been there and can now do so. It is cheap beyond belief and they are an interesting lot. The country is beautiful yet you can still easily find war remnants that make for interesting contrast.

2) Baltic nations - Not too many Americans travel to Latvia, Estonia or Lithuania (west of Russia and south of Finland). An amazing amount of the natives speak English, are very friendly and easily approachable. The cities are a marvel to behold - I loved Tallin, Estonia in particular. I believe it is still quite affordable and you feel safe everywhere you go.

Mr. J. W. Wall has it right.

Consider Elderhostel for at least some of your travel plans. In addition to

what Mr. Wall wrote, the people one meets on these Elderhostel trips are

the absolute best. It's almost a restoration of faith to be with the kinds of

people Elderhostel attracts. There are both domestic and overseas programs.

And if it's people you want to photograph, NYC, Sri Lanka, Fresno, Chengde, along the Wicklow Way, Tel Aviv, Sydney, Prague or Dubrovnik - they're all pretty good.

Wherever it is you decide upon i can't imagine you'll be disappointed.

Throw a dart at a wall map with the object of traveling to that place.

Unhappy with the result? Throw again, and again until it lands in the place your "heart" is set on.

Good luck with your quest.

<i>www.elderhostel.org. They are a nonprofit educational outfit that has long provided inexpensive experiences of all kinds and levels in many parts of the world.</i><P>

I wish I were rich enough to think of $3,000 to $4,000 for a two- or three-week program as inexpensive. I'm thinking of spending a couple of months in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, and Laos this winter--I should able cover my entire trip (including travel from Korea) for significantly less than $3000. Good thread; it's giving me more ideas.

Among the poorest of South American nations, Bolivia would not dissapoint. Not only is this country characterized by incredibly varied geography, but the people, and their lifestyles, have had to change accordingly. The high altiplano is an incredibly harsh place to live, yet the locals find away to eek out an existence. Their faces tell the stories of the difficulty. The City of Potosi (the highest in the world) is known for its silver/copper/zinc mine and the workers, and culture, associated with the day to day living-hell (after having been in the mine, this is no exageration) is both shocking and amazing. Bolivia also has the jungle, where you would find yet another completely different way of life. Everywhere you go the people, particularly the ladies, dress in the 'traditional' fashion, the poverty is often hard to ignore, and colorful and exciting markets abound. All this in a country that is relatively small which would allow for longer stays in certain areas, giving you the chance to fully explore the people and the photographic potential they present. Oh yeah, I haven't mentioned cheap yet. Bolivia is very cheap - hostels, food, transportation can all be had for a small fraction of what seems resonable.

Wherever you end up - have a blast. I think your plan is a great one.

Andrew Forrest

Alberta, Canada.

Bonsignore: That's excellent information. I like the idea of taking a few gifts. What sort of treats do the kids like? I'm a chocolate guy myself but I know there different cultures prefer different things.

SL: Also excellent information, especially regarding the transportation advice. Sri Lanka is one of the few places where I think I'd actually enjoy visiting all the touristy places. And FWIW, I really didn't expect Sri Lanka to be a dangerous place. But since I'm an objective person and don't have any opinion regarding the political issues I'm also aware of how easily I might inadvertently step on toes. It wouldn't matter to me if the person happened to be a Tamil Tiger, but I wouldn't want to offend anyone or place him in danger by being viewed, however incorrectly, as a snoopy American trying to interfere with local affairs. So I'd need to study up on regional news before traveling there.

Bill: I'm glad you mentioned Portugal. About 20 years ago my mom and I considered traveling there. Her language major in college was Portugese (not much use in Texas, unfortunately, but she enjoyed learning about the culture). At the time you could fly People Express to Portugal for around $100 or some ridiculously low price.

BTW, I had to laugh recently when watching a boxing match on TV involving a Brazilian boxer. The TV commentator remarked that the boxer wouldn't understand the referee's instructions because "the referee doesn't speak Spanish and the boxer doesn't speak English". Last I heard, Portugeuse was still the primary language of Brazil, and the language is different enough to cause problems for those who are fluent in Spanish.

Oops, gotta go... I'll respond to everyone else's replies later. Thanks much.

Hi

Lex don't worry abou taking pictures in Sri Lanka.People in Sri Lanka like taking pictures!:) However the only thing that you should not take pictures off are military installations(applies to both sides) as they WILL get a bit testy!

Also if you go to areas with religious significance you should act appropriately.

Good food and clean water are no issues in most of the country.In this respect Sri Lanka is considered better than the rest of South East Asia.Outside local stuff Chinese and European food is pretty good there too.

If you do go to Sri Lanka please contact me as my parents are there at the moment and they can tell if there are any problems or things to watch out for.

South India, as you noted, Lex, would be a great place. It covers a fairly large region, encompassing (depending on how you count) some four or five different cultures and endless variety therein. South Indians are easygoing and friendly. You can see cities, villages, the coast, mountains. Travel for a buck or two on the train. Veg food in little roadside canteens will set you back a few dimes. There's a whole world in South India. When I go to India (which is often), I head south.

Lex,

Most places in the world are "Westerner" friendly. Come to think of it, most places are friendly. As for Asia, which I know the best, it is also very safe, and non-threatening. Sri Lanka is a good place to visit, so also India. Burma is an excellent choice, though I doubt if you would get a 6 month permit to visit. Its a big world out there; happily, most of the world actually hasn't succumbed to the tourist blight because 1) its a large planet, actually and 2)despite outward appearances, most people keep their own counsel.

Most of the world is also, by U.S. standards, relatively inexpensive to live in. The world is your oyster.