Wanted to share my story about a great flash for Canon

vuyisich

This is not a question, but since I have learned a lot here, I am hoping that my

experience might help someone.

I have been researching flashes for my XTi, and after reading the Strobist

website and several others, I decided to buy Sunpak Super 383 flash ($81 shipped

from Amazon!). I got it today, put 4AA NiMH batteries into it, and started using

it. I did not even read the manual. I only used it in manual mode, and it helped

me make indoor portraits that look natural and much better looking than anything

I've been able to achieve with my XTi before (indoors).

Here are some quick stats/features:

- it has a tilt and rotate features, so you can shoot the beam in any direction,

in both normal and vertical camera positions.

- it is very powerful for indoor use (I only needed to use full power when I

bounced off an 18 foot ceiling in my living room).

- on full power, it takes ~6 seconds to recharge. At half power it's ~2 seconds.

At all other setting from there down, the recharge is instant (quite amazing).

- I used it for quite a few shots today at 1/4 power, with 28-135 lens at f5.6,

1/125 sec, and ISO 400. You can see the results below.

- The flash also has an auto mode, but I don't know when I'll get to use it, as

the manual mode works great.

Well, that's it. I am really excited that I can afford a nice flash, as $250 for

EX 430 was simply too much for my level of use (family portraits). I hope this

helps someone.<div>00ODZM-41387484.jpg.f3dfd4c5f7e21ea26204bc4c86f45b4e.jpg</div>

Here is a 100% crop from the middle of the frame. The lens is not the sharpest at f5.6 (wide open at that focal length), but there are 10MP, so it's good enough. This is ISO 400, 1/125sec, flash on full power bounced off the 18-foot ceiling.<div>00ODZQ-41387584.jpg.38b0ea46311f3184775f0aff458773db.jpg</div>

G`day momo, nice pic glad you found something that works for you. Just to avoud confusion, in `m` mode camera and flash its not press & hope. eg doing portraits today in studio all manual I used a flashmeter to obtain correct exposure. With digital trial & error is easier. and some flashes have a guide no, scale on it to assist. just wondering how you decided what settings used for your pic tho you did say >>>`I used it for quite a few shots today at 1/4 power, with 28-135 lens at f5.6, 1/125 sec, and ISO 400`<<<. I hope it does help folks to know there are more affordable flashes available

cheers chris

Hi Chris.

Yeah, I took advantage of my histogram and adjusted the exposure accordingly. You can play with several parameters, but I chose to fix everything (shutter speed, aperture, and ISO) except the light output from the flash, which is super easy to adjust on the back of the unit. It took only a few minutes and a few shots, and I learned quickly how to adjust the beam direction and the power output in order to get pretty nice photos.

I feel relieved, I bought a 430ex and was completely stumped by it as well. In the end I just set the shutter speed to 1/200sec in custom functions and alter the iso speed. Pictures are great by the way.

Perhaps we should start a group 'Flash Anonymous'

?My name is Kevin and I am a flash buffoon.?

It is great to get that off my chest.

Great pictures by the way,

Kev

Nice Shot Momo:

These are great flash units. I have three and they have never let me down. The only bad thing I have found is that the battery door has popped open once or twice. I also wish they had a bigger range of adjustment (say to 1/128th), but hey, they are only $80 bucks brand new.

I was pleased to learn that, at 1/16th power, my 383 Super flashes (with no external power) will keep-up with the 6.5 frames-per-sec rate of my 40D (for seven frames or so) and at 1/8th power it only loses about a stop of brightness over the same 7 frame burst.

I wouldn't push it beyond a short burst for fear of burning-out the flash tube.

Cheers! Jay

I purchased a trio of 283's in the early 1980's. Still use today, what a great investment that was. I use on FD bodies, EF bodies both film and digital, and the G-series digiscams, with wein safe sync. The 580ex is easier to use, but I'll never get rid of the 283s.

Hi,

Practically any flash can be used as a manual slave, just get a Wein Peanut Optical Slave trigger or similar and use it.

I used a number of different Sunpaks over the years, preferred them to Vivitars, some of which are decent, too. Nothing wrong with any of them, we managed to make a lot of good photos with em back in the old days.

But, I really can't understand anyone thinking it's easier to use one of these older style, thyristor flashes without TTL metering of any sort, as opposed to the various modern Canon flash with E-TTL.

I just can't see how it can get much simpler: "M for Full Flash and Tv or Av for Fill Flash. Add some + FEC if it's not light enough, or dial in some - FEC if it's too bright". Many more advanced features you can use - or not - if you choose.

With the Canon there are no Guide Number calculations or reading little scales off the dial to determine what f-stop to set, or setting full/half/quarter/16th power. With the Canons, even the head zooms automatically to match the lens you have mounted.

Just a bit baffled, is all. But if anyone really wants to swap their Canon 420/430/550/580 for a Vivitar 283/285 or Sunpak 383/333/444 or similar, please get in touch!

Despite having a canon system and a 430EX I've bought a couple of Nikon flashes (sb-24 & sb-25) to use with radio triggers coz they are cheaper and the triggers don't seem to work as well with the canon flashes. So when I need a mobile set-up that adjusts the flash for me I'll use the 430EX (see <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/willhl/sets/72157603790522586/">here</a>), if I need/want some more control and a bit more of a studio set-up then I'll use the nikons with triggers (see <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/willhl/sets/72157602694007197/">here</a>).

Puppy Face: I don't know if the flash can be used as an AF assist. When I shoot portraits, I am in the manual focus mode. I will find out.

Kevin, you are a funny guy. Thank you for the humor.

Jay: that info is very useful. 6.5 frames per second? Awesome.

Steve: I will try to do some photography in auto mode. The way I understand it, the flash has a sensor (thyristor?) which knows when to turn off the beam. I will try it (and post the results here), as sometimes that might be useful.

Tommy: Yes, a lot of people use these flashes as slaves. The easiest way to do that is to buy optical slaves, which have limitations, but are cheap.

Alan: I agree that having auto modes might help. However, I was simply not willing to spend $250 for the Canon. Also, if you still need to adjust the FEC with a Canon flash, that would be more difficult to do on the XTi then to adjust the power output on the Sunpak flash.

Momo,

I'm so glad somebody gave me a link to this post. You responded to a post of mine a few days ago regarding exactly this. I've been looking for a fairly inexpensive flash to do some portraiture at my home studio. I'm by no means an expert and wanted to start with something that is going to help me learn the trade without breaking the bank. Once I start making money off of my photos (well I can dream) I might be able to justify an upgrade. It sounds like the 383 would still serve as a great slave or backup flash in that case!

By the way, is it possible for you to email me. I had a couple of questions regarding the post you left. You had mentioned a bunch of equipment and being new some of it was over my head. Maybe you might be able to fill in some of the gaps. I would be in debt to you.

Thanks for your post and it's always good to hear about a good buy!

Jennifer