Wanted - a Geiss-modified Argus C4

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by daniel_iggers, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Here's the thing. I've got a Geiss-modified Argus C4 and two lenses, a 50mm Cintar and a longer lens with a screw-on hood. Unfortunately the shutter is dead. For those who aren't familiar, an Argus C4 is a US-made rangefinder from the late 1950s. It is a step above the old "brick" in aesthetics and ergonomics. (But that may be a matter of taste. There is something ineffably brick-like about the brick.) Geiss modified the A4 to allow the lenses to be interchangeable. The Cintar is the standard three-element lens, that was reputed to be decent. I'd love to have a working Geiss-modified Argus C4 to try the lenses on. At least the 50mm Cintar. I'd trade the non-working body, plus either a decent regular C4 or a shabby but working C44 with a Cintagon lens, just to get the Geiss one working. I'll run a roll through it and then put it back in the pool.

2. Did I say A4? I meant c4 throughout.

3. Keep checking with Keh and the big auction site. The Geiss-modified Argii show up from time to time. I don't know the quality of the other lenses, but the 2.8 Cintar is first-rate.

4. I get the shakes just reading the word "disassembly". I'm afraid of that threshold. I know you've got diagrams and all, but all I can see is the cats chasing loose springs and screws across the floor while I dump the chassis into the kitchen trash. OK, OK. I'll at least read it.

5. Over at the Argus Collector's Group, there's at least one person working to make replacement shutter links for the C4/C44 series of cameras. More info can be found at: http://www.argoflex.com/actuatorlever.htm

6. Yikes! Manufacture a part? No way! I'll wait for my working $10 treasure to come my way.

7. Damn. Disassembled the shutter. Little screws and teeny washers are in the toolbox, and a stack of plates, rings and shutter leaves are on the kitchen table. So much for that one.

8. May it RIP .............a moment of silence please

9. You can have a burial at C.

10. Wait a minute -- at least save the parts you have! Geiss bodies are not a renewable resource. If you can find a C4 with a good shutter and want to send them both to me, I'll try to rebuild the Geiss for you...... :)=

11. The guys at Ritz Collectibles have a Geiss C4 set. http://www.ritzcam.com

12. Thanks, Rick.

13. Dan, If you buy that Argus C4 set from Ritz you will have a few extra lenses. I would gladly buy one Cintar from you such that you can recoup some cash. BTW Ebay item #3851095626 entitled "ENNA LITHAGON 35 MM F:4 RECTAFLEX MOUNT?" ending today (2004-11-12), has the 35mm wide angle lens. Something the Ritz people don't have. Further, the Ebay does know what he/she has (hence the auction title) so you might be able to convince him/her to sell you cheap. I love the C4 Geiss modified; it makes a great pinhole camera. good luck, miles