Want to spend a week north of Cleveland

Rick Waller

I'll be in attending a wedding in Cleveland in late July and want to spend some

time doing some photography. I have been considering the Michigan UP.

Obviously not the time for fall foliage - anyone have a suggested itinerary?

Love critters, nature in general, lighthouses, seascapes, etc.

I am also very open to suggestions over the border in neighboring Ontario or

venturing in any other direction from Cleveland. I have not spent any time in

the midwest other than Chicago.

Anyone have some thoughts?

Go West, young man! Things just get more and more scenic as you head west from there. Say, into Wisconsin, Minnesota... lovely farmsteads, beautiful lakes and ponds. Gigantic freakin' mosquitos... but, the upper midwest can be really gorgeous if you get away from the highway.

You may not need that passport if you are driving (as opposed to flying). I too thought the deadline for requiring a passport to return to the US from Canada was in January, but a few weeks ago I went to Niagara Falls with a couple of friends and one did not have a passport, just his birth certificate and drivers licence. I think they may have postponed the deadline for driving across the border. Check with the INS. You might enjoy Ontario at that time of year, Niagara Falls of course, but the Niagara Peninsula and wineries are also scenic, further afield is the Escarpment, Toronto (downtown not the burbs) and parts north. Depends how much time you have.

My favorite would be the Bruce Peninsula in Ontario. Rare wild orchids are just coming out right now, 300 yr. old cedar tress that are 4' high, water that you can see down to 20', escarpment scenes that are breathtaking. http://www.tobermory.org/

If you want even more, take the ferry across to Pelee Island, then the mainland. It departs from Sandusky Pt., near Cleveland. Pelee is one of the best bird watching spots in the world (but not in Juy). In July, you'll want to spend a few days there wine tasting. http://www.peleeisland.com/

If you want to do something different, just stay in Ohio but go southeast. Not many folks realize that about 1/4 of Ohio is in Federally designated Appalachia. From Bainbridge or Lancaster, find a route toward Athens or McConnelsville (or both), including the AEP/Ohio Power land in Morgan, Noble, and Muskingum counties. There are some amazing things to see, tons of old iron and wooden covered bridges, scenic rivers (like the Muskingum River). Morgan county is overrun with whitetail deer. Work your way southeast to Belpre, Gallipolis (IMO, the best place to shoot Ohio River towboats), or Marietta, then work your way downriver through historic towns along the Ohio River toward Cincinnati (get to the Ohio River in the early am...sometimes there's fog around sunup). There are Indian mounds (including the largest solar calander in North America, Serpent Mound), tobacco barns (some still with the 'Chew Mail Pouch' paint, more rivers, Underground Railroad sites, many 18th and 19th century monuments and memorials all over the place, ad infinitum, all there for the shooting. It's very hilly, unlike most of the rest of the state.

Or you can go to the Detroit area. In Dearborn (home of Henry Ford) there is the pair of tourist spots: Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum.

As noted above, going to Canada is not as simple as it once was....if you not packing a current passport, you may wish to change your plans a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't resist, and hope that you will forgive me.

What was second prize, two weeks north of Cleveland?

Seriously, southern Wisconsin is not too far away and is filled with touristic gems such as the Dells, and less obvious attractions such as the many prehistoric effigy mounds. I don't know the current situation, but photographing old barns in Michigan (rapidly disappearing) was a major activity some years ago.