Walk Around Medium Format Camera for Street ?

jon_kobeck1

<p>I was thinking about getting a Mamiya 7 or 6 as a walk around camera for street photography. I am curious what some of you would recommend as a walk around medium format camera for street work.<br>

I also use a FM2n so I am really leaning towards something more manual, but am open to all suggestions.</p>

<p>I don't think it matters really, I have gotten great stuff with a 4x5! I have also used rangefinder MF's--Fuji and Mamiya 7, but still prefer to use whatever camera I feel will do the job I want to do the best. In most cases, if I shoot film, it would be my H2 because I love the camera and the output. I don't think it matters all that much what you carry as people aren't really going to pay attention to you for the most part anyway, at least not after awhile unless you are just obnoxious or in their faces.</p>

<p>My limited experience has been:<br>

- Pentax 645N: my point'n'shoot. Surprisingly light and compact, handles well, and has some wonderful lenses. 16 shots on a 120 roll and quick reloads while you have inserts loaded.<br>

- Rolleicord Vb: very light, and a fine camera for a more contemplative approach.<br>

- Rolleiflex SLX: heavier than the Rolleicord, which makes it easier for me to hold steady. Still compact and light enough for everyday carry. Great lenses and one of the easiest reloads going.<br>

- Mamiya RZ67 (Pro II, in my case): no lightweight but still fun to walk every now and again. Not too hefty with a waist-level finder and 110mm f/2.8 lens, and the results are more than enough to gladden any heart.<br>

- Linhof Technika 70: you've seen the furtive approach that some people take to street photography? Hiding their camera and pretending they never pointed it anywhere near another person? Yeah... it's not going to happen with this. It's big, it's heavy, it's slow in use, it draws stares (and more than its fair share of smiles), and it's just great fun to use.</p>

<p>I no longer own the Rolleicord, but I carry the 645N or SLX whenever the weather allows.</p>

<p>FWIW I use a Fuji GW690II, which outputs 6x9 cm negs. You get 16 shots/roll with 220 film. It's affectionately called a Texas Leica by some folks because it's a big, but not very heavy rangefinder with a fixed, relatively fast lens, and a very accurate rangefinder focusing system. The VF is fantastic. The "normal" lens for one of these is a 90mm which equates generally to 40mm in 35mm film size. If you're out and about with one of these no one seems to care, but I often have someone come over and ask me about the beast because it looks a bit unusual. I've taken it for day-long shooting expeditions in New York, Detroit, Miami, and San Francisco, and other than toting up the cost of film, have really enjoyed shooting street with it. These cameras seem to hover in the $900 range.</p>

<p>Another camera which I have not used but which looks like a great compromise is the Bronica RF. It shoots 6x4.5 size negs, and is generally the size of a large SLR. The lenses for the camera have a great reputation, but it has a fair amount of electronics in it, unlike the Fuji which is as basic and mechanical as a camera can get.</p>

<p>Hope that helps.</p>

<p>Either the 6 or 7 are quite handy for that. I tried to use a Hasselblad once but it's not an easy task if people can hear you shooting from two blocks away ;-) After that I used a TLR Yashica Matt 124G which proved quite usefull with great results. I think you won't regret getting one of those Mamiya's.</p>

<p>Rollieflex Tlr. You can get a Rollei TLR Automat 4 or a MX-EVS for 350 or less. The tessar lens is great, the camera is silent, and people don't recognize these days that you are taking their picture with this "weird" looking camera using the waist level finder. I have an Automat 4 and it is a very discreet camera for street photography.</p>

<p>Fuji GA645Pro. About the size of an SLR on steroids. Razor sharp Fujinon EBC 60/4 lens (i think about 32mm equivalant) Offers auto or manual focusing, manual speeds, program or aperture priority. I've been using one for years and it is one of the most reliable cameras I have ever used. Noisy autofocus tho. You can still pick one up many times on E-Bay or elsewhere for a great price-way cheaper than a Mamiya 6 or 7.</p>

<p>The only issue I ever had with the Fuji rangefinder, which took phenomenal images, was the ergonomics were just awful. It's been several years since I sold it, but I think it was the Fuji 645s (wide lens that had a sort of roll bar to protect the lens). Anyway, the focus ring, aperture ring and shutter ring, all on the lens, were too close to each other and the control nubs seemed to end up in near the same position making it extremely difficult to move one at a time. The focus mechanism in the viewfinder was useless in low light and difficult at best in bright light (just too small). I loved the images it made, but was just not easy to work with. The other models might be fine, but don't buy sight unseen. I tried mine out, but I guess practical use was not the same as playing with it in the store.</p>

<p>I don't think my Mamiya 7 was as good optically (Fuji may be the premier lens maker from all I have ever seen) but certainly a much more user friendly and made great images as well.</p>

<p>Another vote for a Twin Lens Reflex. I use a Kowa Kalloflex. By looking down, instead of at your subject, it's easy to hide your intent and makes folks less nervous. Just some geezer with some ancient relic of a camera..nothing to be concerned about here. The leaf shutter is whisper quiet. On mine, a one half turn of the handle both advances the film and cocks the shutter so it's very fast. The Tessar-type lens is superb.</p><div>00VhNr-217841584.jpg.96c8ec7cd30b9dd8d3ccb75829d66415.jpg</div>

<p>I would vote for a twin lens reflex. Set at hyperfocal, and go and shoot. Most people wouldn't know what you are doing looking down into some kind of little black box. I've done this even with cheapie Lubitels. The results can be quite surprisingly good. In fact, when I was doing toy camera photography, the Lubitels proved to be too good.</p>

<p>I'd recommend a Minolta Autocord, it's a TLR. Sharp lens and on the whole well made, just be careful for some with broken focusing levers. I find the lever focusing more intuitive and easier than the knob on other TLRs. I love using my Autocord for street work.</p>

<p>The old Mamiya Super 23 was always my first choice for this type shooting despite the fact that the format was horizontal (unless you turned the camera sideways). Using "zone focus" setup from the depth of field scales it was always quick, quiet and yielded great results with both 100 and 150 mm lenses.</p>

<p>Mr. Kobeck...</p>

<p>Mr. Perkins above has a good but expensive suggestion. However for 10% of the cost you can get a good rebuilt MF 6x6 folder originally made in the early 1950s that will take about the same quality picture if is has a good four element lens like a Solinar (F:3.5s are usually a little sharper than F:4.5s in Solinars). It will be smaller than the 667 and fit in most coat pockets but still give you a big 6x6 image. </p>

<p>ATB</p>

<p>Another vote for the Plaubel Makina 67, or 67 Wide (but then you're getting rare and pricey), as despite their weight and size (comparable to the Bessa III, I think) they are easy to handhold and to switch between horizontal/vertical. And Nikon MF quality lens.<br>

Rollei or other TLR is also a great candidate, easier to find, much cheaper than the Plaubel, great 6x6 results, and once you're used to it, quite quick to compose; and above all else, you can shoot hand-held down to 1/15th if you're using the scissor strap as a tautening device. And whisper quiet.<br>

The only SLR I would use for street would be the Hasselblad SWC (a rather pricey suggestion) with hyperfocal/zone focusing (easy as almost everything beyond 1.2 meters seems in focus with the 38mm Biogon lens). It's small and light, but takes practice to hand hold smoothly at eye level. Shame there is no waist level finder for this fine camera.<br>

I would favour the Mamiya 6 over the 7 for street scenes for a number of reasons. The 6 is smaller, lighter, and semi-collapsible, but has a nice interchangeable lens set (only the 43mm lens really sets the 7 apart). While IMHO neither are really easy to use handheld, the 6 would be slightly easier, and the square format makes your mind up for you in composing. Biggest advantage of the 7II is the much improved rangefinder view. I use these for landscape work, but if in town, I use at least a monopod with the 6, but the 7 justifies a tripod.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use a Linhof Technika 70 for street work - oh, sure people look, but they also talk to you:) I shoot with both 6x7 and fuji instant so I can share - nothing makes a friend like an instant picture.<br>

On sunny days, or shooting 3200 in 120, I shoot a Hassy SWC - zone focused and guestimate exposure, sure, but fun, sharp as razors, and who needs a finder?:) i love offending folks with my point and shoot hassy:)<br>

The AF fujis are great, the 6x7 and 6x9 RFs are nice, but not very fast to use.<br>

i also loved my Kiev 60 until it ate it's shutter, and Brownie Hawkeyes make for fun shooting.</p>

<p>Depends on whether you like square or rectangular formats. If you like the rectangle, and don't anticipate shooting square, one of the 645 format SLR's is nice. It really doesn't matter if you prefer the Mamiya or the Pentax. They're both good, and you should take a look at both to see which has the feature set that suits you best. If you do anticipate shooting square then a 6x6 TLR is almost perfect. Shoot square when you want to, or crop down to a rectangle if that suits the image. The Mamiya C2xx and C3xx cameras are ideal because they offer very good interchangeable lenses, are very affordable, and very rugged. There simply isn't much to go wrong with one of these cameras.<br>

Rangefinder cameras are smaller and lighter, but they are pricey by comparison and then there's always the bugaboo of the rangefinder going out of alignment. One good bump and it can happen. Hasselblads are really good cameras, but even with the currently depressed prices still fetch a good buck for a copy that doesn't need some expensive service.</p>