Wait or not to wait ....for Nikon 700x?

magnus2

<p>Would you guys wait for the new nikon 700x to come out or would you go for the 700 now?</p>

<p>Im afraid of buying d700 now and then it drops a lot when new one comes out but then buying the new d700 might have issues which are not discovered and then it is bad?</p>

<p>What would you do......Ideally I do not want to wait longer than june.......hmmmm</p>

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Does the D700 meet your needs and do you need it now?</p>

<p>I am quite sure that Nikon will introduce new DSLRs this year. Last year (2009) they added the D3000, D5000, D300S and D3S; there is none so far in 2010. However, it is only your imagination that there will be some "700X." I have no firm information on exactly how the future Nikon cameras will be like. I can repeat the info that everybody can figure out, such as any D700 replacement will likely have the video feature. Otherwise, we can keep talking and talking and you will not learn anything new.</p>

<p>There may be plenty of other reasonable considerations in waiting vs. buying now, but worrying about the D700's successor being "bad" is <em>not</em> one worth troubling yourself over.<br /><br />As for whether it's worth the wait ... that depends on a whole long list of variables that you're not including, here. Like: what camera and lenses you're using now, what lenses you will or won't be buying later, what you shoot and under what conditions, how you print/display your work, and what your budget is. You can see how it would be hard to offer an opinion, otherwise. And of course, we have absolutely no way of know what Nikon has planned. </p>

<p>It does of course depend on if what you're using now is working for you or not. Myself, I've decided to skip the D700 now that it's getting older in the Nikon line up and wait to see what comes after it. There just isn't enough difference between my current D300 and D700 to justify the nearly $4,000 expense of making camera + lens change. What I really want is D3s sensor + video in a "D800" type body, but am perfectly content to wait it out.<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>Buy the D700 now. I have it. I love it. You can shoot NOW. The D700x will be at full retail for a number of months, and then that will drop in price. The D700 was $2,699.00 for a long time before it went down approx $300.00. There will always be a bigger, better model coming along. The lenses are what is most critical, not the body. If you are looking for a body to wash the dishes and cook you dinner, than wait....for a very long time. If you want a body to reflect your skills, then get the D700 now..and make sure you buy top of the line lenses. If you fall in love with the D700x at a later point, than sell your alrready discounted D700 for a D700x discounted after the maddening rush. It might cost you a little but in the mean time you are having fun shooting NOW.</p><div>00WCEG-235325584.jpg.f7c763d78e9b4be74c6650adda0e814d.jpg</div>

<p>Always something better around the corner......been reading threads like this for the last 10 years.<br>

Move forward, make a good purchase & get out there and have fun.</p>

<p>Take the first step, and stop worrying about if you have the right shoes on.<br>

All the best,<br>

Andy</p>

<p >Magnus,</p>

<p >As you will no doubt soon find out there will be as many opinions on this question as there are members. I too am faced with a similar dilemma and despite those that say "get over it" and don't worry about technology obsolesce, I think you reflect many Nikon owners on the verge of upgrading. It is a reasonable expectation of consumers of technology companies that they upgrade their equipment on a somewhat predictable schedule so each of us can decide, based on our own unique circumstances and reasons, when and if we want to upgrade. I dismiss the notion that "if you always wait for the next big thing, you will always be waiting". I think given the age of the Nikon D700 and the likelihood that it will soon be replaced is justification enough to wait. In my humble opinion, Nikon risks losing customers if it lags behind the competition, and this coming from a lifelong Nikon user. The mere thought of changing gear is sacrilegious to me.</p>

<p >So where does this leave you. I say wait, because I am convinced whatever comes next from Nikon will be worth the wait. I just wish it would happen sooner than later. In the mean time, I'll remain entertained by the myriad of responses this thread is likely to generate.</p>

<p>dont wait, just go ahead buy it and enjoy every second spent with it. It's like waiting for the special person to show up in your life, you'll never know when and where just gotta follow your gut, otherwise you might be waiting like Hans said untill end of times.</p>

D700 is next up for replacement, I'd hold off buying. The "there is always something better around the corner - buy now" attitude has merit only to a point, why waste money on something that is just up for replacement?

If you need the D700s features for professional work however, that is a different story.

<blockquote>

<p><em>why waste money on something that is just up for replacement</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Because it is not wasted money, you get an excellent product that works and has a proven record of being excellent? A D700 will not suddenly be some piece of junk incapable of shooting images once something newer hits the street.</p>

<p>So, if your current camera stopped working and/or you really need something now, the choice is clear. If it's a matter of "want to have", wait and decide to get one of the last D700's being sold at more attractive prices or pay a bonus for having one of the first of the new ones.</p>

<p>Remember when there was a megapixel war, every few months a new camera would come out with more. But this did not go on forever, most people realized that somewhere around 10 was enough and no benefit was gained with more.</p>

<p>The recent dslr war has been with high iso performance. Every few months a new camera comes out with better performance. I believe that this will not go on forever either. By the time you can take a good photo at iso 6400 you can pretty much shoot anything you want with available light, indoor sports, parties. With even better iso performance you are starting to basically get into night vision and I don't think many of us need that any more than we need 75 megapixels.<br>

<br /><br />Buy the d700 and start taking photos/ </p>

<p>Photo Net should outlaw the phrase <strong>"A camera is only a tool"</strong>. Maybe when we were dealing with film cameras that were all the same, but not now. Based on camera sales people are interested in sensor improvements and other features.<br>

The other issue is that in general people are upgrading faster and if you buy a camera near the end of it's life cycle you are generally going to take a whipping when you trade in.</p>

<p>Never buy a new digital SLR. A better one will come out for the same money, and the old one will drop in price. You've been cheated either way. </p>

<p>I just bought a used D70 off eBay. The built-in flash is busted and I got it for $180. It takes all my old manual lenses. </p>

<p>No one knows what features the next camera will have. Will it have the improved 12MP sensor from the D3S? Will it have a higher-resolution sensor? Will it support 1080p video? You can't make decisions based on vaproware. And even if this new body is announced tomorrow, it probably won't be available for months.</p>

<p>If you NEED a full-frame camera TODAY that has features that your current gear doesn't offer, then you should buy a production model with a good track record. That could be a D700, a D3S, a D3X, or something from another brand. If you can get by with your current gear until Nikon announces their next generation of products, then wait and save your money.</p>

<p>IMHO, the D700 isn't going to stop being useful even if another camera is announced later this year. It's a very good general-purpose camera and the absolute best at high ISO operation in its price range. (I feel confident with this assessment because I own that "other camera" that is often compared to the D700.) When the new model arrives, you would either sell the D700 or use the two bodies in tandem. If you're coming from DX, you're going to have to spend some money on FX lenses, so for now why not focus on adding a D700 and lenses to your kit? You'll need those same lenses when the "next big thing" arrives, so you might as well start using them today and learning their strengths and limitations.</p>

"Because it is not wasted money"

It is because what it is worth will fall through the floor overnight when it's successor is released. I've had my D700 for 2 years and so have had 2 years of use for the cost of the depreciation, the OP could end up having a couple of week use and losing hundreds.

People use strange rationalisations when justifying large purchases such as this.

<p>Seems like most of those urging the OP to buy a D700 either own one already or have no plans of buying one. It's easy to spend others' money when there are no consequences for a wrong guess.</p>

<p>Thus a better way to phrase the OP's question would be,</p>

<p><em>"How many people here haven't bought a D700 yet but plan to do shortly or would in the next three months if they had the money?"</em></p>

<p>Me? I think at this point it would be foolish to not wait until Photokina. I mean, look at the specs of the $800 Canon Rebel 550 (18mp, HD video) and tell me Nikon's going to let that go unanswered in its $2000-plus models for much longer. (I know, I know, no one "needs" more than 12mp or video, just as until the D3 was introduced no one "needed" full-frame.)</p>

<p>If I had the money and wanted I'd just get it now.<br>

By the whole "it'll be cheaper later" rational, taken all the way down the slippery slope, then a D1 is definitely the camera you'd be in the market.<br>

A similiar mindset exists among some mac users waiting for Steve to give them better hardware. Some people waited for years for the G5 to come out....<br>

You'll have more fun taking pictures (I assume this is a personal purchase...) once you get away from the shopping and internet and start shooting.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Life is not too long to wait.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I though this was going to be another totally wasted thread in the work-around-the-ban-on-Nikon-rumors line, and then along comes Uzay. Thanks, Uzay! As soon as I figure out what that means, I'm going to print it and frame it. Until then, I'll just enjoy it :-)</p>