Wacom tablet comparison and questions.

<p>Hey all,</p>

<p>I am a serious amatuer with my photography, and have been considering jumping into using a Wacom tablet for about a year now. I use a Canon 40D with some L lenses and some of the better non-L lenses from Canon. I don't have unlimited money to throw at this, and would like some opinions from those that use Intuos4 and Bamboo/Fun models. I like the medium size of both tablets, and obviously the price point of the bamboo fun (~$160) is attractive as opposed to the $340 price of the Intuos4. </p>

<p>So is the savings worth it? I am not an artist in the traditional sense. I will use this mainly for touching up photographs, masking, and general PS tasks. </p>

<p>Does the Wacom also work with the touchup tools in Lightroom? </p>

<p>Thanks for your opinions.</p>

<p>Troy</p>

<p>It seems that I do a bit more of PP than you so I'm gonna save you some money. At work I use the Intuos 4 and it's without question terrific although not cheap. At home I use a Bamboo and frankly for me it works just as well with the added bonus that it has a smaller size. $70-80 and you're at it.</p>

<p>Have fun.</p>

<p>The Bamboo is terrific. The only complication is that you need to be aware of the fact that effective use of a Wacom requires a full understanding of how that relates to parameters and controls in Photoshop that are not usually an issue, using a mouse. These complications have "bamboozled" a lot of users, but have at it, and ask here if you run into complications!<br>

There are also issues if you use 64-bit Vista vs. 32-bit, Mac vs. PC. But I think the Bamboo in general is great and much underrated.</p>

<p><em>"...of how that relates to parameters and controls in Photoshop that are not usually an issue, using a mouse"</em><br>

<em><br /> </em><br>

Mac, I'm not sure what you mean by that. I have never been "bamboozled"as you call it and I didn't encounter any issue in switching from 32 to 64 bit. I've long since done away with a mouse. Never looked back since.</p>

<p>Try before you buy! A graphics tablet is no magic cure for a lack of selection and brushwork skills. Also the pressure sensitivity can sometimes be more of a hindrance than a help. Analyse what you mainly use PS for with your photography, and if you're not heavily into freehand selections and handwork in general, then a simple stylus mouse might work just as well for you.</p>

<p>You'll probably find, as I did, that your manipulation problems are due to a lack of direct visual feedback between where you're looking and where your hand is moving. A graphics tablet doesn't help at all in this respect, and it's a case of practise, practise, practise; whether you're using a mouse or a tablet device. Also IMHO the Wacom range are well overpriced and there are cheaper options that work just as well. Look at offerings from Aiptek, Trust and Genius that do exactly the same thing as a Wacom, some of them with better specs. Then if you don't get on with a graphics tablet, at least you won't have wasted so much money.</p>

<p>I agree with both Ton and Rodeo above. I don't ALWAYS prefer using pressure sensitivity, and I may want to turn that capability on or off for a specific tool or image, for example.<br /><br />To answer Ton's comments, here is an excerpt from PS Help:</p>

<p>If you work with a graphics drawing tablet, such as the Wacom® tablet, you can set the painting tools to control how color is applied depending on the pen pressure, angle, rotation, or using the stylus wheel.</p>

<ol>

<li>Select the Brush tool , the Pencil tool , or other painting tool in the toolbox. </li>

<li>Click the Brushes tab to bring the Brushes panel to the front or, if the panel isn’t open, choose Window > Brushes. </li>

<li>To make the tool tip size change with pressure, select Shape Dynamics (be sure to click the word, not just the check box) in the Brushes panel. Then choose Pen Pressure from the Controls menu under the Size Jitter slider control. </li>

<li>To make the opacity change with pressure, select Other Dynamics. Then choose Pen Pressure from the Controls menu under the Opacity Jitter slider control. </li>

</ol>

<p>The above is just a small example of the kind of stuff one should expect to encounter, which can be confusing to some.<br /><br />Re: 64-bit, it's more of an issue when you use plugins or add-on software. I think PS proper has that act together well.</p>

<p>I agrre with Ton.</p>

<p>Beiong a photo retoucher i use a Wacom for the past 10 years or so..didtn touch a mouse for years!..and dont see the point of using one either. I do EVRYTHING with a wacom, safari, iphoto, word, and of course Photoshop what i use 40hrs week.</p>

<p>The bamboo 4x6 is perfect for most user that have monitor smaller then a 24inch, i have one with me all the time for my laptop, cost 80$. I have one at home with my Apple LED 24inch, a 6x8 bamboo fun because space is not a issue, money was not a issue, and i like having a bit more space to work on this big monitor + it came with elelment 6 that i gave to a friend in need of a photo program : )</p>

<p>I have a 6x8 Intuos at my studio, just because..i purchase it last christmas becasue i wanted a newer tablet, it look pro but that it..not much of a superior feel or control..just to indulge me (and since its tax deductible why not : )</p>

<p>My girlfriend who as nothing to do with graphic design, use one 6x8 at work because she is in front a computer all day long and feel better holding a pen than a mouse...so she use my old studio Wacom graphire 4 (older model been replace by the bamboo line).</p>

<p>As other mention, its not magic, but if you use it like a real pen you should get the concept pretty quickly..at least my 3 1/2 years old daugther seem to have getting the concept since she use the one at home to colorize her drawing on the crayola web site : )<br>

She is as good with the pen as she is with the wax pen at home LOL..real artist!</p>

<p>I just bought an Intuos4 (large) to use with lightroom. I find it's a bit more convenient and a bit more accurate than a mouse. Yes, you an assign your choice of keypresses to the side buttons (see a picture of the Intuos4 to see what I mean) and also to the scrollwheel, so if there's a key for it you can shortcut it on the tablet.</p>

<p>Hopefully, someone can answer my question about a bamboo. I have a friend who is a very good artist. Would a bamboo be of any use to her as an artist. She can use Photoshop Elements. <br>

Would be using the bamboo and her PC instead of drawing on a pad.<br>

Good or bad idea.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Henry, i have a friend that do pattern for lingerie and swimwear, she use to draw everything on paper, scan it, retrace it in illustrator..take the whole day for the process she ask one day if she can borrow my wacom to try it..a hour later she was in a store ordering one.</p>

<p>Nothing beat a wacom tablet when you work as a artist and already are comfortable with pen and brush..it feel so natural that i ask myself how could someone serious could use a mouse to work in photoshop!</p>