Wackiest hot-shoe attachement

Hello everybody!<p> Tired of being unable to take good photos of your

friends / kids? Here's my tutorial on how to create the cheapest and

wackiest hot-shoe attachement for your camera.<p>First of all, buy a

PEZ sweet dispenser in any grocery store (they are sold everywhere in

Europe, I hope they are in the USA too). The more ridiculous, the

better. [fig. A.]. The base ("feet") of the dispenser should look

like this [fig. B.]<div>00CSnG-23989284.jpg.db305ed2ab551390734b792c781ed09d.jpg</div>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, using a cutter, trim the feet of the dispenser [fig. C.] leaving a 2-3 mm wide plastic strip on each side [fig. D.] Check the width of your camera's hot shoe if you are not sure. And avoid trimming your fingers.<div>00CSnH-23989384.jpg.709cc5acb0a62521f2e4cd9b19f953e6.jpg</div>

Now you are ready to shoot! The best use for this attachement is to make people laugh and quickly snap a joyful portrait of them. You can then reward them with a sweet for added happiness. I've tested it on kids and friends and it works most of the time!<div>00CSnK-23989584.jpg.04249c1484949cf7bceb334cb0c0d0a1.jpg</div>

This may be the best thread I've ever seen on photo.net. I must get someone to ship me a Pez dispenser so I can use it for street photography. It's about twenty times wackier than the smiley face and rainbow sticker on my camera.

Ditto, Mike. This should be considered a must for street photographers. It'll put an end to threads like "I got beat up by an old lady because I took her photograph." Instead we'll have more threads like "I can't pick up chicks because they all laugh at my Pez dispenser."

Thank you everybody for your comments! I'm glad you found my idea useful or at least funny. Now it would be fun to see a thread showing pictures taken with this "thing" (somebody should give a decent name to it.. I'm sure something better and shorter than "PEZ Sweet-Dispenser Hot Shoe Attachement" can be found)

Pablo,

Some of the aspects you may want to test for are:

1. Field of curvature

2. Distortion

3. Chromatic aberration

4. Resolution (preferrably in lp/mm)

5. Light fall off/vignetting (better to measure the percent light fall off so that you can decide if it is digital compatible).

6. Others like coma, spherical aberrations.

7. Actual (measured) DOF.

This list does not preclude the other factors essential to get an image that I can not think of at the moment or simply unaware that exists.

Hope, this helps!

P.S. If it is for anything related to Leica, add the "glow factor" as well. This can not be quantified, I think.

I know you are interested in the specs. I will soon test the device shooting wallpapers

inside my garage for two days and then shooting brick walls outside for other two days,

just to be sure. Then I will do the same thing again but with a digital camera.<p>

My main problem is to find an unit associated to a numerical value for measuring bokeh.

I've read all of Ansel Adams' books but he doesn't mention it :-( Can anyone help?

Sorry, guy. You sure have been reading up on the wrong sorts of books!

To get a "good bokeh", you need to stop down to at least f/256, I hear.

Ansel Adams and his f/64 were waaay off. The fact that he never got to hear the word "bokeh" while he was alive did not help much either. :(

May be it is best to club the "bokeh" factor along with the "glow" factor and just find:

a. if there is one

and if it is there,

b. is it a 'good' one or a 'bad'one

Good luck!

But I'm not a lucky Leica shooter :-(

Help me buy a Leica! Send me enough money to the paypal account federico.sartorio(at)etu.unil.ch so I will finally be able to properly test "glow" and "creamy bokeh" (yum)

<p>

Cross-posting isn't allowed, right? Can't an exception be made? I'd like to reach a wider street-shooting audience with this thread

Which flavor Pez takes funnier pictures? Can anyone direct me to at least a dozen websites that will help me with my hand-wringing despair over whether the Bert dispenser is better than the Patrick dispenser for street photography?

I'm gonna go dig out my Dremel tool to make short work of refitting a dispenser for photo duty. I don't trust me with a sharp knife.