[W/NW] The sign and me: Semiotics?

Nowhereman

Well, also not to rain on anyone's parade, but ...

The original post was about a sort of classic (maybe even cliched) image in which a person (typically, though it could be a cat or dog) appears juxtaposed beside a sign or painting that is, perhaps vaguely, similar to the person (cat, dog). Life imitates art, or vice versa.

Mitch's photo is in that category and, while I agree with Ray that this idea has been heavily used, I still like Mitch's photo. Brand new idea? No. Great photo (as in "Migrant Mother")? No. Still, a nice image, and I like it. And I can think of several other examples that I like. (In Ottawa, Canada, there's a nice one hanging in the Elgin Street Diner.)

And is this life imitates art idea really more cliched than, say, your standard beach sunset photo? Several of those appear each week on the photo.net front page, and no one seems to mind. (Hardly the only well-used theme that appears there.)

On the other hand, the subsequent posts in this thread are of photos from a different category. They're photos of signs, not of life imitating art a la Mitch (and many before him). I'd hate to think that it's a cliche to take a photo of an interesting sign --- there are so many of them around! And they often say much about the times in which we lived.