W/NW Pic-O'-The-Week #6

Uhooru

So, my contribution from the antipodes (We had 26 Jan as a holiday - officially called 'Australia Day', but a source of great contention. It 'celebrates' the arrival of the first convict fleet, but is seen as many as 'Invasion Day'. It is contentious). Nonetheless, people put idiotic flags on their cars, etc. These are early shots from my newly acquired debt, aka monochrom m. I'm still trying to work it out. I long for the ease of my (t)rusty bessa r. They are of bartenders at my local club - like many rural Oz communities, the bartenders are mature women of some standing in the local community. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

MONO0685-2.thumb.jpg.745386d1456687f54a6901de5f5069b3.jpg MONO0687-2.thumb.jpg.f6d9a9ecacae4c3f06b2635871459813.jpg

• Like 5

So, my contribution from the antipodes (We had 26 Jan as a holiday - officially called 'Australia Day', but a source of great contention. It 'celebrates' the arrival of the first convict fleet, but is seen as many as 'Invasion Day'. It is contentious). Nonetheless, people put idiotic flags on their cars, etc. These are early shots from my newly acquired debt, aka monochrom m. I'm still trying to work it out. I long for the ease of my (t)rusty bessa r. They are of bartenders at my local club - like many rural Oz communities, the bartenders are mature women of some standing in the local community. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

[ATTACH=full]1230787[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]1230788[/ATTACH]

Interesting and enjoyable stuff Arthur. I imagine you've read Hughes' "The Fatal Shore". A really fascinating history of the founding of the land of Oz.

Yes, I have, Uhooru. And Reynolds account of the frontier wars. I'm not sure where you live, but I suspect these same issues confront many now, though I think the North Americas seem to have resolved them. I suspect we have not. It's still a drama, or a bit of it, for us, at least for some. How to walk on stolen land. It's an issue for thinking Australians. I'm off focus here, so will end here. I'll post another photo, which I've probably posted before, as a celebration of diversity, we live here in a cultural mixing pot, We have since 'settlement'/'invasion' been a diverse community. This was with my (t)rusty bessa, and it reflects Oz's, I hope, inclusiveness. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

1844340838_aclown.thumb.jpg.77d7c1849b0641100b64a02d7f0b711a.jpg

• Like 2

That's a really poignant photo, Stric. We done (sometimes photos capture more than an image. I've seen such photos many times here - this is one. I envy such photographers). Greg, I like your photo. I've tended to go for very high contrast in landscape, but that shot enlivens me to the idea of graded and complex tonality. Looks like a relatively slow speed for the water - did you use a tripod? Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

Thanks Arthur. It was handheld at 1/125 second. I'm not s huge fan of carrying my tripod with this outfit, and they don't allow anyone to use them in the Japanese Garden.

A couple others from a local memorial park yesterday, captured at f1.4 with the 35mm Summilux FLE.

L1030347-X3.jpg

L1030332-X3.jpg

• Like 2