W/NW Pic-O'-The-Week #51

So, not much photoing this week. Christmas and its chores. So a fallback: some further shots from my spouse's son's Christmas party. Again, monochrom m, summicron 50mm collapsible.

Allen Herbert, that's a deeply moody shot. Excellent balance. Well done. Digital or film?. Sandy Vongries, likewise. You've captured that sense of expansive space. I did the 'Santa' shots at my club last weekend (I don't know, in this age of political correctness, how they get away with it. Anyway, with an ordinary Nikon, so can't post here). Everyone, keep safe, you and your families, over the festive season. I think of Matthew 2:15 'out of Egypt I called my son'.

So, the photos. I may have posted the last (Anne, a good friend of my spouse's son) before. If I have, give me an indulgence for the sake of the season.

Regards, and best wishes, Arthur (apiarist1). Look forward to next year.

642239857_thisweek1.thumb.jpg.9b5266777176c7723a131566883531a7.jpg 339822356_thisweek2.thumb.jpg.4b9b630a1c1df650c1028fedc3688101.jpg 497631685_thisweek3.thumb.jpg.9a7fd2019976a3d62b328da6bdd9366f.jpg

• Like 2

Moving On, what's the photo's context? I would endorse Uhooru's suggestion about drying (on another post). Use your shower. I string up some wire. It has pretty much (though not entirely) solved my dust problem. Dust to film is like blown pixels and dust on the sensor to digital. Uhooru's is a great piece of advice. I'll add one: standardise on a film and developer, explore it's development range, with varying time, dilution, and temperature variations. What you look for in a b&w image is some total white and some total black, and a spread of greys in between, no 'muddiness'. Enjoy it. The camera you've got will be a great tool. My only abiding concern is the lack of critical sharpness. That may be an artifact of scanning

Sergio_ortega|7, when was this taken. The colour looks 'shifted'.

And Stric, well you've been blessed by the unexpected portra colours. That's brilliant. Shallow depth of field. The bokeh is a bit funny, I would not expected that from a summicron - it's almost got that sonnar 'swirl'. Nonetheless, bravo.

Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

halloween.thumb.jpg.f83b68582db3c61cb6ad5b89f129008b.jpg Context was Halloween in a small town. For now I am sticking with HC-110 (B). I have been doing the shower rod thing after a shower but if the HVAC comes on, that is probably circulating dust a bit. I’ll solve that issue next time. Also going to used distilled water for the final photo-flo rinse.

The muddy tone is another thing I am working on.

I expect the the biggest contributor is initial under exposure.

The meterless cameras are a new old twist for me.

Thanks for the help guys.

I am intentionally doing no post processing to get as realistic a starting point as possible.

Another point along those lines is review of the initial scanning process.

Above is with a simple post process bump in exposure....

Edited by Moving On
  • Like 1

Now JDM, here we run up to a wall (can't put it better than this). My initial response is 'it's plastic'. Could've been from a Nikon. And then, of course, it would still be 'plastic'. You will probably want to know what I mean by 'plastic'. I'll leave that, but hyperventilated contrast (the clumps of what I would call 'purple'). The colour. A bit over the top, JDM. I like it, but it's over the top. Tell us the post processing you did to produce this rather baroque and strange image. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)