W/NW Pic-O'-The-Week #44

Like the cactus shot billblackwellphotography. Crisp; great tonal range. I've been doing film stuff this week, so some of the remainder of the party photos I took last Saturday week. Monochrom with 75mm zeiss lens, my go to lens, with yellow filter and ramped up ISO.

october.thumb.jpg.a803a45902e0a279f3e79b0b35ad802e.jpg

october1.thumb.jpg.cc14a703a545a40fbff3b4482ed6027b.jpg

october2.thumb.jpg.228cde01bbde9a05af18e2ab35c1086c.jpg

october3.thumb.jpg.83614600070f48beff7c065a37ce0757.jpg

Arthur. Looking forward to the forthcoming contributions.

• Like 5

ei_20190919_007.jpg.29382fd7428315a8503c0603028fe8dd.jpg

The US is, on one hand, the wealthiest country in the world. On the other hand, the ratio of poor and homeless (as a % of overall population) is the highest in "developed" world. Did I mention the highest prison population in THE WORLD? Yes, sadly, the US has more incarcerated people than China. Those are the facts. But I am digressing... Leica MP, 35 mm Summicron, Kodak TMY.

Edited by stric1975
  • Like 4

And I mean a good shot. Not just technically good, but it tells a story. A very gripping story. You do well. And what must be done? Keep safe. You did not 'digress', in my lights. Arthur

Arthur, it's Minneapolis, MN, but - trust me - it could be anywhere in the USA these days. It's hard to fathom, but the homelessness has become very common and it doesn't look like the cities are doing much to address the issue. For example, over a decade ago, the city of Minneapolis diverted funding that was earmarked for public housing toward helping a local corporation (Target) build its headquarters in the downtown area. The city even provide $100,000,000 subsidy so that this company would not "leave" the city. Here is another photograph from the same morning, ironically, shot in the vicinity of Target HQ.

ei_20190919_006.jpg.c763d4cbe89df33bfeac5550c6538a27.jpg

In the last few years there were efforts to revitalize downtown area and make it more "sexy", etc. One of the projects was to redesign and rebuild Nicollet Ave (one of the main streets in the heart of downtown, Minneapolis), and New York City's High-Line was used as an inspiration. This street was supposed to be turned into a touristy, glitzy, low or no traffic, pedestrian-only zone with pretty windows, expensive shopping, a lot of Instrgramable photo-ops, etc., etc. In the end the project was shut down by the local businesses and corporations based on that street. The official excuse: this revitalized pedestrian friendly area with a lot of nice seating and views would attract too many homeless people and that would be "bad for business". Go figure.

Edited by stric1975
  • Like 2