W/NW Pic-O'-The-Week #33

Uhooru

Is that yours michael_levy|3? It does look immaculate! Has it been upgraded to 12v. Brings back memories of my younger days and travelling to Green Patch beach in a 1963 VW with a trailer that had a fridge, tent, all the accoutrements of civilised camping. The easiest way to change the spark plugs was to undo the motor bolts, pull it off the drive shaft, and jack the body up, allowing the motor to be pulled out - took about 15 minutes. Uhooru, that's a great shot. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

Is that yours michael_levy|3?

No such luck, Arthur. We were on a walk, and the owner was showing it off (very proudly) to some friends of his. The inside looks as good as the outside! I don't know if he has done any engine or electrical upgrades, but he does use it to get around! The minimal set of dials and knobs inside was just great: I am so turned off with the instrument collection and computer panels in most new cars.

That's a good shot, billblackwellphotography. Likewise, the 'lurgy' (aka flu) has kept me in bed, now for more days than I need. But some shots with my M6, FP4 (I'm about to mix up BillBowes confection, based around catechol and I have yet to 'field test' my newly acquired debt, an M type 240 (all second hand, of course). So the photos (they have lots of dust, I've now adopted, on advice from this site, developing in my en suite, after a good steaming). As you can guess, more pub/club shots shots. I was particularly intrigued by the sponsorship by a funeral 'family' business to the bowling club, since most of the members are only a hairs breath away from their maker. Ah, capitalism, isn't it magic. Arthur (apiarist1)1067442346_thisweek1.thumb.jpg.273801cfb6a34b679859bc1d1801c5de.jpg

imge2.thumb.jpg.23f71c9ad6de68c6a25fea0f26ee0128.jpg picture1.thumb.jpg.aae7053faee34e78f98c2ee6abbad3a2.jpg

• Like 5

victor_gruber, the second shot is great. Really liked it - great composition - you could read into it many stories. Never been to mexico. Were you holidaying there. Great shot. The b&w is good, I like it, and the horizon is askew, and the sense of impending (or passing) storm is evocative. Tell me about it, particularly what looks like a bird flying (though it would have to have been a large one). Thanks for the photos - they are good. Arthur (apiarist1)

victor_gruber, the second shot is great. Really liked it - great composition - you could read into it many stories. Never been to mexico. Were you holidaying there. Great shot. The b&w is good, I like it, and the horizon is askew, and the sense of impending (or passing) storm is evocative. Tell me about it, particularly what looks like a bird flying (though it would have to have been a large one). Thanks for the photos - they are good. Arthur (apiarist1)

Arthur, thank you for your comments. In Mexico we are staying (already three times) in Riu Jalisco Resort(Hotel) all inclusive. We like this hotel. It is combination of colonial and modern styles. I made some nice pictures during our vacation in 2017 at this place.

About b&w picture. I was lucky to be at the right time and at the right place. That was the only time when I could see the darkness was moving from the city to the ocean. Usually the storm is coming from the ocean. That view was fantastic. I also took some color panoramic shots.

Bill, that customized M2 is/was just awesome. Heck, you even had the 35mm f2 ASPH customized to look like a lens from the 60's. To bad the production model doesn't look like that, wow. That is just gorgeous. Instead of re-introducing old models like the 28mm f5.6 and 90mm f2.2, Leica should be offering current models dressed up like this, kind-of like they did with the 50mm f1.4 in a limited version.

From yesterday, with the MP240 and 21mm f3.4 Super Elmar..

L1014276-X2.jpg

Edited by Greg M
  • Like 3

LHSA MP Hammertone kit. The lens came with a matching 12504 shade painted with the same hammertone finish, but I actually preferred the standard black chrome 12504 shade (as pictured below). But it would also take the standard square shade, as pictured with the M2-6 FrankenLeica - which also had a Leicavit.

1258380687_LeicaMPLHSA3001578003.thumb.jpg.cac1cb81923af1a6347110b9d04ec4c9.jpg

1951752214_LeicaM2-61093176.thumb.JPG.0b50764bb5282b4ce0417dbc946b111a.JPG

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...” 

– Yogi Berra

Stric? 'Photo no longer available'? I'll parody a right wing ratbag politician from Oz (some of you may know her, or of heard of her, Pauline Hanson): 'please explain'. victor_gruber, now that's a taunt, 'some color panoramic shots'. Eh? Post them. Would look forward to them. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1). As an aside, Bill Bowes, your shots have been so immaculate (it's the only word I can use - meets I'll my tests for good b&w: clean white, deep black, and a range between). If this is down to your developer, well, I'm looking forward to using it. Mixing up this weekend, and have some FP4 to test it with.

But Allen Herbert, that's so well done. If I were pernickity, the grain is an immediate distraction, on the one hand, but the theme just takes that over, and the grain just adds to the subject. If you can search this out, look up Martin Heidegger's writings (and yes, I know his history, and his liaison with Hannah Arendt - I know the complexity, ambiguity, and disdain), and his essay on the temple. Your shot evokes some of that. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

Thanks Arthur. Since 1967 most of my b/w (and color) work has been with the Zone System in my brain. . . not a complete versions of Adam's creation, but a modified, by me, version. The advent of PMK-Pyro by Hutchins, and several other fine pyro mixes, greatly advanced using the Zone System even for 35mm or MF. Use your "normal" approach to exposure for the starting point with the OA. Tune as you go. Aloha from the Mainland, Bill