W/NW Pic-O'-The-Week #28

Billblackwellphotography, again so well done. And Bill Bowes, how you manage to get these images from Fed's astounds me (I have put mine in storage, still have a zorki-5 on hand to use, but do so rarely). They are good Bill Bowes. Greg M, so good, and with a Summarit - how did you control the flare? Regards, Arthur. And looking forward to the coming contributions.

JDM, Contax IIa. Good one. Looks like a 50mm lens. Sonnar? East or West German? I ask that because of the veiling flare and that pleasing (dare I say it) voluptuousness and rendition of the image and its colour. I have a number of Russian clones, Kiev's - rarely used. Again, good one. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1).

Looks like a 50mm lens. Sonnar? East or West German?

In this case, a real Contax IIa was shot with a 'translated' Sonnar 5 sm f/2 which had started life as a Jupiter-8. (good eye, BTW)

I now use a real Zeiss Sonnar (Opton) 5cm f/1,5 most of the time

BTW, a lot of 'veiling flare' in this case is the haziness that comes of living in an area where the air itself is often supersaturated.;)

Edited by JDMvW

I missed a really good street photo in Marrakech, Morocco. An aging English hippie, on a old bike, dressed as a Moroccan. A monkey gripping the handle bars, for dear life....

But I was too slow in taking the photo. And also, he peddled really hard, when he saw I was taking a photo.

And then in a load clear English accent, he shouted for me to F@@o@f. Missed the photo, but thumbs up to him.

Anyway, time to post my, maybe, not so interesting a photo.

Edited by Allen Herbert

Another shot from the recent Custom Car Show. Fed-3 / N-61, UFX Max, Pyrocat HDC & V800 scan.[ATTACH=full]1302068[/ATTACH]

Bill Bowes, I've just about used up my Ilfosol, and so will be mixing up a catechol recipe this coming weekend. And trying it out. Do you use an alkaline fixer? Is so, what one. The only commercial fixer I can get my hands on in the Australian rural hinterland is the IIlford rapid fixer. Any advice greatly appreciated. Regards, Arthur

Howdy Arthur. When I am here in CONUS, I use the Formulary T-4 rapid fixer. When in Hawaii, I use common Sodium Thiosulfate & a dash of sodium sulfite. It is a DIY mix from published mixes. 2x water for stop bath before the fixer. Either fixer (without any acid) will have the correct ph so the pyro will not be stripped off the film.

I suggest you make up just 100 ml of the Obsidian Aqua. 1.0 - 1.25 ml per roll will still take a bit to run thru & my batches of OA (Hawaii) last 4-6 months before discoloration sets in. Bill

Hello again. If you make up just 100ml & split it into two (2) amber colored cough syrup bottles, the working bottle should last 3-4 months before you note any discoloration (weak beer). The unopened 2nd bottle should last at least two years. I made up a liter (1000ml) of OA several years ago & split it into (10) 100ml bottles. . .got about 600ml to go ! It seems to last until opened & use.

I think the sodium sulfite is also used in DIY beer/wine making. Check any of those sources. Bill