W/NW Pic-O'-The-Week #22

Uhooru

Happy Friday to all. Its that time of week to start posting your favorite pic of the week. Don't be shy! I'll start with a pic from one of Los Angeles' great landmark restaurants, namely Philipp's on Alameda St, L.A. They are famous for the "french dip" sandwich and a great stop off when photographing in the downtown area. Let's see yours now.

13411033-orig.jpg

• Like 5

So my contribution (haven't been doing much - the winter 'flu' here intervened). A local busker, outside my local supermarket, a 'Coles', with my usual bad composition. I know him from a previous life, when I managed a property he now rents. He has seen better days (as we all have probably. He was in a band, and did solo gigs - we've all become the 'gig' economy now. Not so good), and now gets a 'living' by busking, and our DSP. My monochrom m, 35mm lens, and now equipped with a plush italian leather half case recommended to me by billblackwellphotography (though God only knows what sort of sweatshops go on in the EU, given their uneven 'recovery' from the GFC. Spain's still a basket case, and Italy not far behind. Come to think of it, we're all probably not far behind). The half case is really good. But not for my friend. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

MONO1033.thumb.jpg.7b8529d9ab94cb4f431cc6b01fac1ceb.jpg

• Like 4

Billblackwellphotography, where is this? Well framed. And Allen Herbert, that's brilliant, the street shot - reminded me of the cinematography of citizen kane, but with colour: the oblique angle, and the colour really works well. I enjoyed it. And Geg M, really good. But best of all, Stric, that's brilliant, 'missing' - so much can be read into that. Regards, Arthur, apiarist1.

Leica M10, 35mm Summicron. Part of my Vancouver transformation series. The middle building housed a popular neighbourhood Italian restaurant. Buildings like are being torn down and being redeveloped as part of the City of Vancouver's "Cambie Corridor" plan. The new building will still be low-rise, but will be (I think) 3 stories high - commercial on the ground level, condominiums above. The problem is that businesses like the restaurant operate on margins that are just not big enough to pay the rent and taxes that the new owner will be able to get. So, instead of a place where locals can hang out, we will get a dentist or an accountant or a lawyer. Useful, but it will deplete the lively village feel that this part of Cambie Street now enjoys. I wanted to capture some of this in the picture: people, lovers, bicycles, cars. Your comments, as always, would be appreciated.

cambie-1.thumb.jpg.7be43ca7b76dbeb6aea789d5c3335a9b.jpg