W/NW Pic-O'-The-Week #13

Uhooru

In the words of former U.S. President Ronald Reagan "Here we go again". Its Friday, whoooo hooo, time to start posting your favorite photo for the week. 1st, kudos to Ray who stepped in, despite the pressure, and lead a really good week for photos. So here we go, time to post. I'll start with a pic taken at a coffee bar in Costa Mesa, CA. Enjoy and lets go!

18462565-orig.jpg

• Like 4

Hi

Uhooru - a great photo, and composition could have enhanced it. There's grain in the face. How did you make this image? bertliang, loved that. The tractor/harvester does detract a bit, but a lovely, close to classic, composition. billblackwellphotography, I think I need some advice on how to use my monochrom. That's a good shot. My images are nothing like this. If you would, give me some hints, or advice (I currently use a slight underexposure and automatic ASA. All my lenses are prehistoric, some very much so, some russian with adapters, so no '6 digit code'. I've been saving as DNG, but find post processing aweful, even with lightroom. Bill Bowes, would you eat that pizza? Isn't there a pure food act in hawaii? Good shot, and how do you do your borders - they are impressive. So, from me, two shots, both from my partner's and my dinner last weekend at the bowling club. Everyone pissed as a newt, er, sorry, 'tolerably insensible'. The first is 'Mick', who actually lives near us. The second is 'Jenny'. Both with a monochrom m and zeiss 35 mm lens this time, with flash

2013342610_thisweek1.thumb.jpg.86d7ec7511f55dcabdf2d0ad718c734f.jpg

thisweek2.thumb.jpg.63365147ced180710bf56519d441805d.jpg

Can't nail the focus yet.

Look forward to the rest of the submissions.

Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

• Like 5

Arthur, for over 4 years now I have enjoyed a breakfast pizza from these folks at the Kailua Market, along with other food vendors. Look to the right of the Pizza Guy. . . that is a wood fired oven. . . 6-8 minutes is his cooking time (visual). . . I doubt any nasties stand a chance. Ages ago in a Microbiology course the most "icky" critters could be swabbed & cultured from any fast food place. My only "complaint" about having this pizza is the fact that no beer is sold at the Market !!

The borders are EZ with my editor (PhotoScape). Get your photo to your specs. . add a 10-15 pixel black line border around the photo. . .then add a 10-15 pixel white line border around that. Now add black to each side of the pic until the final border is achieved. I will work in large pixel widths (max of 250 for my editor) during this phase. Aloha, Bill

• Like 1

... I think I need some advice on how to use my monochrom. That's a good shot. My images are nothing like this. If you would, give me some hints, or advice (I currently use a slight underexposure and automatic ASA. All my lenses are prehistoric, some very much so, some russian with adapters, so no '6 digit code'. I've been saving as DNG, but find post processing aweful, even with lightroom. ...

I'm not doing anything magical. I shoot standard exposures in DNG RAW and process in Photoshop with Silver Efex Pro in the Nik software add-on (free download - do a Google search) - it'll also work in Lightroon 3 through 6/CC. I've found unprocessed DNG images out of the camera are somewhat dull and lifeless, but post-processing they're magical. The pictures pop with just about 5-minutes of processing, or less. Check it out - it's very user-friendly (and currently a free download). You'll also have greater consistency 6-bit coding your lenses (every one of my lenses - Leica or otherwise - is 6-bit coded).

L1000043c.thumb.jpg.9c838846b0d8303635631dd1d1516cbe.jpg

Leica M-Monochrom. 50mm Asph. Summulux-M

• Like 4

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra