W/NW: My Friend's Hot Wife (or Husband)

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by benjamin_shapiro|2, May 7, 2006.

1. A prediction: married people will post photos on this thread in comparatively small numbers :) Like the way you've framed her in this shot, Ben.

2. I couldn't agree more, Michael. Anyway, Ben, that star in the foreground made me look up the Mitzvoh. Keep your distance :)

3. mess around with a friend's wife? never. (not that she'd have me anyway)

4. Is "hot" the right word here?

5. She looks charming and smart and sweet, which for a grown-up = "hot". And hubby here looks like he is enjoying your hopelessness.

6. "She looks charming and smart and sweet,.." None of those are qualities that can be judged from a photograph. All I can tell from the picture is that she looks cute.

7. Technically you're right Eliot, but I do make those judgements when I see a person, even in a still photograph. She has a wonderful soft caring look about the eyes, and a smile that indicates curiousity and appreciation of others. Of course she could be none of these things. She tolerates cigars: I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

8. She's photogenic, but that doesn't say much else about her personality. I know people who are not photogenic but are really nice and vice versa. That's why I would be very careful about making any judgement based on how a person looks in a picture.

9. Whoa, guys. Lighten up and post some pictures :)

10. Jack,-- He is enjoying a cigar. Looks like a Cuban Cohiba which is contraband in the US.

11. So sweet Jerry. The right thing to say always seems to flow through your lips.

12. Hey, if no one else will post a photo, this is Monkey's fiancee, and she's Muy Caliente!
    00GKlq-29848984.jpg

13. your monkey looks very happy next to al's monkey todd :)

14. Vivek wrote: "made me look up the Mitzvoh". I don't think we need to do much in the way of in-depth halachic research...it's one of the BIG TEN!

15. > Yes. Northwestern, Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, etc. ... and what Ollie said. :)

16. Here's an attractive young lady I saw at a party last summer. M3, Collapsible 'cron. 100 fuji exposed at 800-you might say a mistake was made-but there actually were some keepers.
    00GKoa-29850384.jpg

17. Eliot has it dead right - if you have to be photogenic to be smart, caring.....there is absolutely no hope for me. I'm sure Eliot is right - photogenic doesn't matter M

18. Some interesting points being raised here.

19. It's likely Jack's right from what I see. Although you can never be sure from a photograph, quite often you can tell things about someone's personality, although admittedly, you could be dead wrong. Well, I doubt it though, in this case. You get clues about someone's personality just by the way they dress, for example. My gf took a look at a pic of my ex-gf and also one of my mom and decided they both must have a "big personality"- meaning that they were extroverted. She was correct in both cases. btw- "cute" is also a personality trait.

20. This is "hot."
    00GL3G-29856884.jpg

21. Ray, I'm afraid you are mistaken. Have you ever heard thr expression "you can't judge a book by its cover" or "all that glitters is not gold"? You sound like someone who is prone to making snap judgements about people. Your impressions may be correct but they could just as easily be wrong. Just because someone smiles and is photogenic does not mean that he/she is not an SOB. Most people would use cute as an adjective to describe someone who is physically attractive. It is not a personality trait, though personality certainly may contribute to a person's attractiveness.

22. Abraham Lincoln had interviewed a man for a job, I donメt know what job. When the man left his office his aide asked him what he thought? Lincoln said I'm not going to hire him. I don't like his face. Astonished, the aide said surely Mr. Lincoln you can't judge a man by his face. Lincoln said every man over 40 is responsible for his face.

23. "Alas, after a certain age, every man is responsible for his own face."
    - Albert Camus
    And of course, Camus was photographed by the Leica-toting Henri Cartier-Bresson, so the quote is on-topic for our Forum. :)

24. My favorite Camus quote: "A man's work is nothing but the slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."

25. A man's work is nothing but the slow trek to rediscover...rediscover that what they never discovered.......
    00GLTe-29867884.jpg

26. "Astonished, the aide said surely Mr. Lincoln you can't judge a man by his face. Lincoln said every man over 40 is responsible for his face." Lincoln did say that, but he was not necessarily referring just to the man's looks. By "face", he may have meant how the man talks and presents himself, his disposition, or something else about his personality. I'm not sure that quote was meant to be interpreted literally.

27. You may be right Eliot but Lincoln was a pretty plain-spoken man with a unique combination of wit, profundity and eloquence. He may have said this particular quote with tongue in cheek. He must have been a riot at parties.

28. You have to admit Camus does add some credibility to the idea.

29. Allen - I think the Camus quote is especially apt for photographers. The idea that art is a detour like the detours encountered by Odysseus; that you are trying to get home in a sense through a rediscovery and that is your work (if you're lucky); that there only need to be 2 or 3 very special images but in their presence one's heart opens. Amazing!

30. Kent - thanks for the Camus quote and the connection to Odysseus, surely a touchstone myth/story/narrative. The idea of connecting photography specifically to the idea of return/rediscovery is compelling for me. Thanks. -Mark