w/nw main street

m_.

Would I be outta line in pointing out that the photos of Wentwong, Allen, and Ray Wilson contain zero texture or detail in the shadows? Maybe this was intentional. As long as it's not an oversight. If it is bad manners to comment this way in a W/NW thread please accept my apologies.

Wentwong - would you be willing to say what about the composition in Travis's shot is perfect? To say it's good is a friendly thing to say but, as a reader, I can't follow you because you have given no line of reasoning. "Criticism is about making arguments not pronouncements."

Please help me understand Travis' shot better. What I see (make that almost see) is two unrelated people doing nothing interesting in a print that is so under-exposed that there is zero detail in either figure. I am irritated that I can't even read the sign. There is no story for me to grab onto, no interesting visible body language or even any significant action. What am I missing? What is "cool" about this photo? <BR><BR>

I don't want to inflame the page but it seems to me, in relation to photos in this forum, people say either nothing or something equivalent to "great shot." To be told nothing about your photo is kind of a snub. 4973 people visit your photo and 2 people say something. I guess it means the viewer didn't like your shot. But maybe they just didn't want to take the time to feedback or maybe they are a dolt. Or maybe they don't consider you a friend and therefore deserving of your reaction. I want to be loyal to good photographs here not personalities. Possibly their disapproval has as little to back it up as those who rave about it. And just possibly it's a bad shot but you can't tell which it is or why. To be told great shot is also no help even if it is supportive. As a reader or a photographer submitting pictures how can I use this lack of information to improve?