W/NW, Dogs...

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by rene|4, Mar 30, 2009.

1. In the memory of JIROH (my Black Lab) who passed the way today at the age of 11 1/2 years.
    I went to choose him at the breeders home when he was 25 days old. I took him home 15 days later. He seemed to be the slowest of the litter and he was also the smallest. The first night at home he made a mess but on the second night he had already learned to use the pads and when we woke up in the morning the house was clean.
    I started training him right away. Within a few days he knew the signs to sit and lay. I was amazed. At three months of age I was taking him with me to a trainer, not to train him but to teach me how to train him. I started training him to learn agility and freebie. At only 7 months we competed in a tournament together with some pros and amateur. He took the 7th place. Before becoming 1 year old I started to train him to become a rescue dog. At the age of 2 years and 1 month he passed his test and was the 1st SARD Search And Rescue Dog) in my prefecture. I retired him from All Japan Rescue Dog Association after 6 years of service at the age of 8.
    I am happy he seems to have died fast and in peace within 30 hours.
    His name JIROH, means second song and that is exactly what he was. We'll miss him!
    00Surf-120517684.jpg

2. Rene'...beautiful dog along with a beautiful biography.
    Attached is Hogan (at 1 year) golden retriever
    00Surt-120519784.jpg

3. My sincere condolences Rene on your loss.
    What a beautiful story of your dear friend. I'm certain he will be terribly missed.
    Here's my Ruby..a yellow lab at 11 weeks old. She's now 4, and what a sweet girl she is. She greets me every morning with wet sloppy kisses. She's a real "couch potato", but loves her fluffy bone, her soccer ball, and her human brother and sister.
    I dred the day when "Her day" comes.
    00Susw-120523584.jpg

4. That dog/man bond is a powerful one, Rene - certainly a big factor in my daily life. And when you invest a lot of yourself in giving a working dog (like your handsome retriever) a purpose and a mission - and see how that shapes your relationship with the dog and helps him to thrive - well, there's nothing like it. It also makes their loss all the sharper, and for that I extend my sympathy. But you sound like you have healthy perspective on a dog's all-too-short life, and did right by making the most of it for both of you.

My older German Shorthaired Pointer, Saga, is in his prime, still - but showing some gray whiskers (just like me!). I hope that he has another six years in him, but we try to live each day in the present - since that's how dogs do it. They don't spend their days dwelling on their eventual departure, and perhaps there's something to that. I'm headed out the door to take him for a walk, right now - and perhaps we'll scare up a rabbit or stylishly point at a spring robin or two.
    00Sut2-120525584.jpg

5. This dog was hiding from a much smaller dog.
    00SutY-120531584.jpg

6. Excerpts from a Dog's Diary
    8:00 am - Dog food ! My favorite thing !
    9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing !
    9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing !
    10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing !
    12:00 PM - Lunch! My favorite thing !
    1:00 PM - Played in the yard! My favorite thing !
    3:00 PM - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing !
    5:00 PM - Milk bones! My favorite thing !
    7:00 PM - Got to play ball! My favorite thing !
    8:00 PM - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing !
    11:00 PM - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing !
    Excerpts from a Cat's Diary
    Day 983 of my captivity. My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.
    They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.
    The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.
    Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am. Bastards.
    There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage.
    Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.
    I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return.
    He is obviously retarded.
    The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now....

7. Finney, he's getting old now, and will only be with us another year or two I fear, but he's a great companion.
    [​IMG]

8. Rene' - my heart goes out to you & your family. How are the boys handling it? They may need some extra support to get through it. I've had to go through that so many times - it just does not ever get any easier on me. :-(
    I here offer two photos of two different dogs from my life.....
    This is my first dog ever which was mine - my Mullet - I took it when I was nine with my very first camera a Kodak Instamatic 133 I believe..... It's here to offer you a smile. :)
    [​IMG]
    Here are two of our present dogs (this shot is taken with the D200) - the little one is "Jackie O" & her I found on the street wet & lost. She's ready to pounce on one of the barn cats. We did not ever find her owners.... The large sleeping one is Soya. She & her five siblings were dumped on the mountain as pups. It took me a year to get them all off the mountain. She came home within two months of being found. It was a year of feeding dogs & trying to catch them. It was not easy.
    [​IMG]
    I'll be thinking of all of you Rene' - I know this was a harsh loss for the family.
    Lil :)

9. Rene:
    Our thought go out to you.
    Let us all try to be the kinds of people our dogs think we are.

10. Scraps was my last dog. Probably my last dog ever, now that I'm in a small apartment and have to answer to the two cats who allow me to live with them.
    I adopted her from my mom, who'd moved out of state and couldn't take the dog, and I lived on a large rural place at the time. A wiry medium terrier, her real name was Zooey, but one of my daughter's friends exclaimed "That's a scrappy dog!" She would also patiently wait by the picnic table for scraps, never begging or being a pest. The name stuck.
    Scraps was the gentlest dog I've ever taken in, and there have been many, including labs, poodles, various hounds large and small, a pit bull and two chows. All were adults, some even elderly, when we adopted them, so few stayed with us more than a few years. Scraps never bothered our free range chickens, never barked without a very good reason, was scared of our cats and was a mighty pest control officer. Within a few months she'd completely solved our mole and gopher problem.
    For some reason she also regarded possums as the enemy. She'd pounce them, grabbing and breaking their necks with a few blur-quick shakes, then amble back to lie down at my feet. Just a quick, efficient execution, never any torment, torture or real violence. Damnedest thing I ever saw. Didn't really please me since I'm a lifelong fan of Pogo. But it was her only fault so I let it go.
    She also brought me odd gifts, mostly skulls she'd scavenged from the countryside. Occasionally she'd trot up with a tiny skull from a cat, squirrel or raccoon, and leave it undamaged for me. But her best gift was a goat skull, salvaged from a nearby farm where the farmer raised and slaughtered goats. That skull has been one of my favorite models for years and is featured in my photo.net portfolio.
    I'm guessing she was close to 10 years old when she became ill for the first time. After visits to the vet she'd rebound, scamper around like a puppy and then fall ill again. One day she didn't show up and I couldn't find her on our rural property. I figured she'd crawled under the porch, one of her favorite nap spots. I was still recovering from a car wreck and couldn't look for her, but my cousin's husband helped. We buried Scraps alongside a 30-year collection of other adopted pets who'd come and gone: dogs, cats, countless hamsters, gerbils, turtles, birds and even a ferret. I've almost lost track of the number of mature pets we'd adopted over the decades and when I think back on it now it was almost a continual revolving door retirement village/menagerie.
    00Sux8-120551584.jpg

11. This is Max Goldeneye who belongs to a friend of mine, an adult rescue after my friend's miniature Pincher, Lucky, had to put down because of cancer. (Lucky was also an adult rescue she discovered in Costa Rica on a vacation.)
    00Suy3-120555584.jpg

12. My(and Austin's) condolences to you

13. The two shelter dogs who own me, and my wife and I, extend our sincere condolences to you for your loss. We have been through this a number of times, and it never gets any easier. As far as I can tell, that's the only failing that dogs have - they don't live long enough.
    00Sv0D-120569584.jpg

14. And here's Kenny
    00Sv0J-120569684.jpg

15. Rene, my sympathies to you and your family. I know how much of a loss this is for you. When I read this, the first thing I did was hug my dog. The second thing, take a few more photos. You see, he is almost the exact same age as your JIROH. We got him when he was a month old, and he will be 12 in May. No one in our family can imagine life without him.
    Our guy is probably the most photographed dog on the planet. Every lens I have bought in the past dozen years has been tested out on him first. If the lens passed the dog test, it was a keeper.
    00Sv1F-120577584.jpg

16. Dogs, as most have reflected, are very personal and close to the heart. I have a dog named Radar, who absolutely hates having her picture taken. So, shots of her are rare. But there is one HERE , along with other treasured canines from the past that I have known.

17. Rene, sorry for your loss! Dogs are truly the best pets one could wish for. Never complain, always happy to see you or to play, although sometimes can be a little moody but thats rare! Why not go out and buy yourself a gorgeous puppy?

18. René, I have never owned a dog but have many friends that do and love them dearly and consider them members of the family. I can tell you and your family feel the same way. My sincerest condolences to everyone in your family. Jiroh will always have a warm place in your heart and has obviously blessed you with many fond memories.

19. What a handsome fellow! I regret your loss. And it never gets easier but having pets is always worthwhile.
    Mr. Peri's post was on target. I am held hostage by 6 cats who view me as a somewhat trainable servant. I love them dearly. We always had dogs and I really miss not having one but my schedule and travels make it impossible, Maybe some day...
    Conni

20. Twas mark Twain who first opined (in writing) that "the only fault of the dog is that they don't live long enough". My dogs' lives are all on film, in fact, when my wife and I are reminiscing, but can't remember the details, we check my negative files, which act as an image diary, each shot carefully dated, etc...and it was the death of an old dog in 2003 that got me back into B/W film photography...I realized that I had hundreds of old pictures of that dog, all on color print film; so I pulled out an old Zeiss folder, and went to the camera store, asking for a roll of Verichrome Pan in the 120 size...the clerk looked at me like I was nuts...appears they had long since stopped making it...my dog would never have looked at me like that, she would have given me a sympathetic look and said, we can always chase balls...or, for that matter, use FP4.

21. My condolences as well Renee'. First to always great me when I get home from work is my 6 year old lab Sonny.[​IMG]

22. Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels. I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her.
    I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn’t be afraid. As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage. I didn’t want her to know that I hadn’t been walked today. Sometimes the overworked shelter keepers get too busy and I didn’t want her to think poorly of them.
    As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn’t feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone’s life.
    She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me. I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her. Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.
    Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms.
    I would promise to keep her safe.
    I would promise to always be by her side.
    I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.
    I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven’t walked the corridors. So many more to be saved. At least I could save one.
    I rescued a human today.
    -Janine Allen
    00SvBv-120615884.jpg

23. All these dogs are beautiful and yes all dogs do go to Heaven.

24. Photo of Buster Douglas
    00SvEX-120635584.jpg

25. Rene,
    I' m so sorry to hear of your loss. I've spent much of my life as a cat person, and all that changed four and a half years ago when we rescued our female Boxer Lola. She's nine and a half now, and I know I'll be crushed when she's gone. We rescued a male Boxer named Rocky when our cats were gone, and he keeps her lively! Here's Rocky and Lola posing for you.
    00SvGT-120649684.jpg

26. In addition to all of their marvelous qualities, dogs are simply wonderful subjects. Their eyes, their hair, their movement. They give us so much and, to photographers, they give us practice. In this shot, I think Belmont is saying, "Again? Oh... you got a new lens, huh? Okay, I'll sit here for one second, but then I'm off to go bark at something."
    00SvHr-120659584.jpg

27. Bailey loves unwrapping presents... anybody's.
    Don't wait too long Rene', there's a dog out there that needs you... t
    00SvKL-120671684.jpg

28. I just have to add that I think there's a beautiful selection of dogs in this thread. And it shows a softer side of us all - - I have loved all my dogs & I still do.
    Rene' - - when they go on to the next stage of life I think of them as puppies. They're in a field, with all the chewies & doggie bones any dog can ever imagine... They have no hurts & no pain - they are full of youth, energy & happy to be "alive". I think of them as waiting for me to one day join them - for us to be together again one day.
    For now they faithfully - as dogs will do - wait for me. They are all staying with my little brother who left us far too early in his life. He's taking care of them until I can join them all & we can all be together & be happy with no pain nor suffering.
    When my daughter was little I told her this when one of our pets went on. Andrea's take on it was this - - "it's unfair". I said "What is?" And in her tender years her answer was so sweet it made me laugh... "It's unfair that uncle Ian gets to have all our pets."
    So that's where my dogs, cats, birds & I hope horses I had when I was young are - - with my little brother - - out in a huge field with tall green grass & all the beautiful flowers.
    I don't know if it helps you or not - but I can hope. I know it helps me.
    Take care of yourselves & don't wait too long - your beautiful JIROH wants you to be happy again & safe.
    Lil :)

29. Renè, I understand your feelings... I have been forced to this kind of absence for two times in my life. We also have a retriever in our family:
    00SvQl-120709584.jpg

30. Rene,
    My heart goes out to you. Here are my golden retriever T-Bone (six years old now) and his late friend Daffy, who lived with us for nearly seventeen years.
    00SvR1-120713584.jpg

31. Thank you all! I appreciate your words. So many of us have been there and we all know it isn't easy.
    On the original post there where a few (many) typos but the one I want to make clear is about his name:
    JIROH means "SECOND SON" or "SECOND BORN", not sonG! My oldest son named him.
    I just called my wife to tell her to look at the thread. It is a shame but this morning I left home at 5 am. I just got into a hotel right now after driving all day. All day long, all I've been thinking about was Jiroh and all the happy times he gave us. He was always the best well behaved out of the 3 kids.
    The kids are taking it better than what I thought but I feel very sorry for my wife coz she is home alone.
    When I get back I will scan all his pictures. I have hundreds but most are all on film.
    Thank you all for your concern and support! Rene'

32. My sincerest sympathies Rene'. There is nothing to equal a dog's love.
    We adopt retired racing greyhounds. Breeders produce them in large quantities, seeking a big winner, and then discard those who don't cut the mustard. Despite the eforts of rescue groups, thousands are killed every year. They are sweet and gentle creatures (unless you're a rabbit).
    We usually have three at a time. Here is one set. Jake (in the back) is still with us at 14. Ruby and Darcy have passed on.

33. Gosh, you'd think I would have figured this out by now.
    00SvTn-120731584.jpg

34. Rene, my sincere sympathies. It is always hard to lose a loved one, one who really doesn't ask much in return, except love, and the basics, water, food and shelter.
    Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor, those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
    Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.
    Author Unknown
    When my time comes, I know I will meet once again with Ju-Leo (1 November 1988 - 7 february 2001); Jiggaloh (25 January 1995 - 16 August 2006; Jarvie (25 January 1995 - 26 January 2009) and Just - Ace (9 November 2005 - ?).
    I am certain both my late parents are with Nina (25 January 1995 - xx August 2005).
    All the above gods are Irish (Red) Setters. Sorry, I meant dogs.

35. Great thread-dogs can be special in our lives, and teach us things about life. This is Lutsen, two years old at the time, a chocolate lab.
    Randy
    00SvW2-120743884.jpg

36. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rene,
    I am sorry for your loss. One of the saddest things about dogs. as one of my older friends say, is that they don't live long enough and we will have to undergo many losses in one human's life time.Our last lovely white bull terrier died four years ago it is still painful for me to think about it..
    Enclosed is a photograph of our current dog Rhory taken on film with the F100 and the 20 mm F2.8 lens
    [​IMG]

37. You are happy, can't quite say the same ----- just click it and let's go on.

38. Rene my condelences on your loss, think you gave him a great time. There are other dogs looking for a good home. Wait a bit and get another one. You will also miss the daily walks and getting out and about and that special friend whos always happy to see you. Regards Carl
    00SvZ8-120769584.jpg

39. Just wanted to say I'm sorry about losing your lab, he was beautiful dog. Pets can be very special for sure. Here is my boxer Kadie, one of best dogs I have had and still going strong for 10 year old.
    00SvaC-120775584.jpg

40. My condolences, Rene.
    Touching comments and photos here. There is something universal about the experience of having a dog in the family. This is true even for our cairn terrier who at times wore this mask not to protect people from him (no danger there), but to protect him from himself when he had a tendency to snack on inedibles -- a habit he finally has gotten over ... for the most part.
    [​IMG]

41. I have to add a photo of Lord Wellington. He's a working dog in Carmel, a professional greeter, has his own art gallery, and a spot in My Space.
    00SvdY-120797584.jpg

42. Poor but happy. Taken at Dominican Republic in March 2008.
    00Svff-120813584.jpg

43. Rene',
    I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, and I too hope your children are doing ok.I have had to put down two "puppies" and one "kitty." It never is easy.

44. Rene',
    I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, and I too hope your children are doing ok.I have had to put down two "puppies" and one "kitty." It never is easy.

45. Rene' sorry for your loss. I lost two quickly back in the 1970's. Its been a long time but 3 1/2 years ago we got a black retriever puppy. She is sweet to all. She is happiest when swimming in a creek or pulling on a rope. A true friend always smiling.

46. So sorry to hear of your loss. My wife and I lost our beloved Rottweiler and Shetland Sheepdog within 3 months of each other last year. They will be sorely missed.
    "A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw)

47. [​IMG]
    So sorry to hear of your loss. Dogs are another member of the family. Here's one of mine. Her name is Amber. Saved her when she was nine weeks old. This was about two summers ago. She's going on eight [​IMG] .
    [​IMG]

48. My condolences, Rene'. A very nice looking dog with a touching bio. Here are two of many pictures, one of my parents' Howie as a puppy, and one of our neighbors' Keats, who sadly passed away.
    [​IMG]
    Howie http://www.photo.net/photo/1401660
    [​IMG]
    Keats http://www.photo.net/photo/1411005

49. [​IMG]
    My wife's babies. Kasper, as in Casper the Ghost, and Alpine, as in Alpine mountains. Brothers from different litters. White German Shepards. I come second to them in many ways. They even have car seats for riding in her car. They are special to her. So, we know and understand your loss as if we were to loose them she would be devastated. So, my condolences.

50. Rene, my condolences. It hurts to lose a long time friend. We lived with Carlo for about 12 years, and simply had to put him down February. It wasn't a difficult decision; it was the only thing to do for him.
    The house was so empty without him that I immediately set out to locate another that, hopefully, would be like him. We now have Beamish living with us. Although I managed a respectable photo of Carlo, I am still trying with Beamish (AKA Paloma's Jabberwodk Slayer.

51. Rene, my condolences. It hurts to lose a long time friend. We lived with Carlo for about 12 years, and simply had to put him down February. It wasn't a difficult decision; it was the only thing to do for him.
    The house was so empty without him that I immediately set out to locate another that, hopefully, would be like him. We now have Beamish living with us. Although I managed a respectable photo of Carlo, I am still trying with Beamish (AKA Paloma's Jabberwodk Slayer.

52. I appologize for the triple posting; I guess I'm not too good with this internet stuff. But here's my photo of Carlo.

53. I appologize for the triple posting; I guess I'm not too good with this internet stuff. But here's my photo of Carlo.
    00Svup-120903784.jpg

54. Sorry to hear that. Here's a pug for you:
    00SvwK-120913684.jpg

55. jfz

jfz

Rene'
    Really sorry for your loss. Jiroh was such a great dog!
    jf

56. My condolences Rene',
    We have yet to experience the loss of one of our dogs and it is something that I think about on occasion. Our oldest, rear right in the picture, seemed like he was getting close to giving up a while ago, but has ralleyed. He's been hit by a farm tractor, kicked by a dairy cow, run over by a 200+ pound hog, has arthritis, and can barely get up off the floor sometimes. Ask him if he wants to go for a walk and all the infirmities instantly disappear. Here I'm leaving them in the truck while I go in to the local diner for lunch. They were not very happy being left behind. One of our 5 is off at some competition or another when this picture was taken.
    Again, I'm sorry about your loss.
    Mark

57. My condolences Rene',
    We have yet to experience the loss of one of our dogs and it is something that I think about on occasion. Our oldest, rear right in the picture, seemed like he was getting close to giving up a while ago, but has ralleyed. He's been hit by a farm tractor, kicked by a dairy cow, run over by a 200+ pound hog, has arthritis, and can barely get up off the floor sometimes. Ask him if he wants to go for a walk and all the infirmities instantly disappear. Here I'm leaving them in the truck while I go in to the local diner for lunch. They were not very happy being left behind. One of our 5 is off at some competition or another when this picture was taken.
    Again, I'm sorry about your loss.
    Mark
    00Sw2b-120945584.JPG

58. Here is a shot of my dog Toffee .... as you can see he is a keen TV fan ... loves to watch any animals but particulary keen on "Pup Idol"
    00Sw6q-120973584.jpg

59. [​IMG]
    This is my newphew Thunder.

60. Rene',
    I am so sorry for your loss. My dogs have always been a part of my family, and I understand how difficult this time can be. I am glad to hear that Jiroh had such an amazing life, that is what really counts for those dog years. :)
    All my best,
    Kira

61. Rene' . . . . I am terribly sorry to hear of your friend's passing. I have been there many times with my 'best friends'. It tears me apart each time. Dogs are great joys of life for me. Lukas, a Giant Schnauzer (photo) goes everywhere with me . . . to work etc. Each day he and I are together 24 hours. I can't imagine what will become of me if something happens. Just like Dekker before him, Axel before him, Abu etc etc. The amount of unconditional love they give is incredible. I wish you the best.
    00SwFe-121059784.jpg

62. Rene,
    I know how you feel. Two years ago this week I had to put our Tess to sleep and it remains one of the saddest days of my life. Tess was a purebred APBT. My wife and I started our family with her. We had near nearly 14 years and she was by far the best dog I've ever been privileged to own. Now we have another pit and her name is Ruby. Although still a pup, I think she too will be a wonderful dog.
    A good dog will offer a quality of relationship and loyalty seldom found with other humans. And if there is an afterlife, I hope my dogs are there too.
    00SwI6-121077584.jpg

63. Amy and Ruby, both 9 years old.
    Nikon D40 1[​IMG] 8-55 VR
    00SwI9-121075584.jpg

64. This Ruby is only 8 months.

65. [​IMG]
    This Ruby is only 8 months.
    00SwJ5-121083584.jpg

66. Rick; If dogs aren't permitted in heaven, I don't want to go. I'd rather be with Nicki and Carlo.

67. I just don't know what to say.....
    You guys are great! Thank you for all your support!
    Rene'

68. Hi Rene'
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss! Pets are such great companions...they always greet you with sincere excitement when you come home and never complain about anything. No wonder we are so attached to them! The tough thing is that we out live so many of them...but the rewards of having a pet outweigh those sad days of saying goodbye.
    My son's first dog, Hunter, was hit by a car while he was playing with him in the yard (only a month after the photo). It was such a tragic experience...something my son will never forget. We since got another dog, which has been a great pet and a member of the family. But we'll always have special memories of Hunter, and I'll always have good memories of the pets I've owned over the years!
    00Swfg-121245684.jpg

69. Rene ... so sorry about Jjiroh. We lost our cat "Muffin the Mouse Slayer" three weeks ago. Here is Sam, part of a brother and sister team we adopted from the shelter last week. He's the climber ... Ray.
    00SxFX-121517684.jpg

70. What would we do without them?
    00SxHe-121535584.jpg

71. Rene', thanks for sharing your good memories of JIROH and creating this opportunity to see and read about so many wonderful animals. My wife and I had two Shetland Sheepdog littermates: Paris and his sister Heather. We put Heather down in January 2007, a couple of months before their 15th birthday. And just this past February 28, we put Paris down, one month to the day before his 17th birthday. Those were two very sad days, and the emptiness is still here, but we have many years of very good memories.
    --Bill
    [​IMG]
    Paris and Heather, 11 years old

[​IMG]
    Heather, 14 years old
    [​IMG]
    Paris, 16 years old

72. Daisy regards the world with utter disdain from her perch on the steps.
    00SxVy-121657584.jpg

73. In memory of Grunt (he grunted a lot as a pup) whom we had to put down last summer. He was a 1/2 Black Lab 1/2 Blue Healer. I took this photo just a couple of weeks before.
    [​IMG]

74. [​IMG]
    Candee 1970

75. Candee, 1970. The best dog we ever had.
    00Sz4L-122411884.jpg

76. Here is a photo of my dog Frisco. He is still with us, but he has a lot of years on him. I would say he is the best dog I have ever owned, even though I have loved them all. He is by far the smartest dog I have ever had. I used to take him with me to the local saloon (yep, there are still dogs in bars in Montana) and taught him to tip the bartender/waitress for me, which worked out pretty well for both of us.
    00Szdy-122721584.jpg

77. So sorry Rene'. Our dogs often teach us as much about ourselves as we teach them. The best ones take a piece of us with them when they leave. I have a lot of dog photos in my gallery from training and competitions, and I feel your loss. Rest assured that you gave him a great life.