W/NW 2022 Pic-O'-The-Week #23

This is the train from Skagway into the White Horse Pass in Alaska. Before the train, it was often called the Dead Horse Trail. Being one of the main routes from Alaska into the Klondike and up through Dawson, BC, the miners, many form the cities looking to strike it rich, would buy horses to carry in the large amounts of stores to sustain them in the gold fields. They had little knowledge or thought for the plight of the horses, so the horses were worked to death and died in droves apparently. Or at least that was the story the train guide told us:)

It's a really fun and beautiful ride up into the hills if you ever up that way.

• Like 1

Interesting, Wikipedia does call it "White Pass", but the railroad guide called it White Horse Pass and told us the story re dead horses. Allan, did they talk about the "Dead Horse Pass" on your trip?

Thanks. I remember, many decades ago, being in Barriere, Canada. Brings back memories. The story goes, as dead horses do, that a couple were travelling there, in a wagon. He kept urging the horse on until it expired. She said, what are we going to do now. He replied: bury her.

My shots, aged like me. Keep safe. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1):

image7.thumb.jpg.5b10532dfb62092469e098a23aa9fdc6.jpg

imago3.thumb.jpg.1ca711c8ceab5361c2f9ae053f42d548.jpg

• Like 5

Always feel a bit guilty, if I have not posted a photo, on the Leica forum.

So.

[ATTACH=full]1430316[/ATTACH]

Never feel guilty, Allen Herbert. That is a tremendous shot - so much character captured there. No doubt there is a story there. But if you want to feel guilty, don't tell us the story. Really well done. I am remiss, and plead my own guilt - I've plundered your image. It deserves framing. Regards Arthur (apiarist1)

Edited by arthur_mcculloch|2

Interesting, Wikipedia does call it "White Pass", but the railroad guide called it White Horse Pass and told us the story re dead horses. Allan, did they talk about the "Dead Horse Pass" on your trip?

Hi Barry, I just now finally found the literature they gave us for the train trip; I'm in the process of unpacking after a move and it was in a box. It's definitely labeled the "White Pass & Yukon Route." (I left out the "&" in my original post.) Unfortunately there was no mention of the term "Dead Horse Pass," although it was noted that prior to the railway construction, over 3000 horses died because of the "tortures of the trail and the inexperience of the stampeders."

Edited by allancobb