W/NW 2021 Pic-O'-The-Week #43

allancobb

So my contributions. Done at the 'Melbourne Cup' yesterday, when oz stops to watch a horse, at my local pub (probably a bit like the Kentucky Derby in the United States of Amiracle). I myself do not bet on horses - it's a foolish person, I think, who banks on what a horse, let alone 24 horses, will do. The first is of patrons watching the race. It's almost religious - prayers erupt, some have been known to get to their knees and beg. Everyone get's pissed.

L1003224-2.thumb.jpg.7f329ae60507d380713400f53267dfe4.jpg

And a bartendress, not dressed as a jockey:

L1003207.thumb.jpg.91a4e6312726702f2026bad07bff9769.jpg

And one who is:

L1003210.thumb.jpg.f566d8400703d68825e3e15514528f58.jpg

And some patrons. Normally, women put on 'fanciers'. Didn't happen this year:

L1003222.thumb.jpg.8f83eaacad07e968e0c17f05a6fc4c15.jpg

All done with my monochrom and go to lens. Regards, Arthur

• Like 5

Arthur, thanks, and I like your pics as well, especially of the bartenders. I was wondering, do celebrate Halloween like we do in the States, or maybe it might be called "All Hallows Eves"? Here people go out, especially kids, in costume and "trick or treat" for goodies. Older kids go to parties that can get fairly wild as I recall from my party days. What goes on in Oz?

Arthur, thanks, and I like your pics as well, especially of the bartenders. I was wondering, do celebrate Halloween like we do in the States, or maybe it might be called "All Hallows Eves"? Here people go out, especially kids, in costume and "trick or treat" for goodies. Older kids go to parties that can get fairly wild as I recall from my party days. What goes on in Oz?

Yes, some people. especially children, dress up for Halloween here. Locally, this year, it was very subdued - I only saw two families out. I think covid put the frighteners into a lot of people and they wanted to avoid public contact. It was a different story with the horses, though. Melbourn cup is nicknamed 'the race that stops a nation'. Regards, Arthur