Vulcanite problem

john_robison3

<p>Part of the vulcanite is chipping and falling off my M4-2. That's fine, I thought. I'll just order a replacement from Aki-Asahi. Now the problem, while some is just falling off the rest is stuck so tight I can't see any way to remove it. I have tried a sharp screwdriver as a wedge to chip it off a little bit at a time but it's really stuck tight. Any ideas I haven't tried yet.</p>

<p>Isopropyl alcohol or lighter fluid to dissolve some of the adhesive. Instead of a metal screwdriver to pry it loose, try using a sharpened bamboo spear (like used in cooking), with its end flattened, it won't scratch the metal.</p>

<p>Tim, fantastic! Thanks for the link. This looks like the least violent way to do the job. I just got a cover for my Olympus 35RC from Camerleather but did not think to check out the rest of their site.</p>

<p>This vulcanite was weird. The place where it was falling off was the advance side of the camera, especially in the back right where the palm of your hand goes when you grip the camera. Perhaps oil from the skin eventually penetrated and loosened the bond between the camera and covering. </p>

<p>I forgot to mention that the vulcanite also seems to have something to do with light sealing the bottom cover. When I first got the camera I had no problem with any leak. But after the cover began chipping away I sometimes had the streak of a light leak right from the area that lost the vulcanite next to the bottom (top of the negative).</p>