Vuescan problems with Artixscan 120tf

I just got myself a Microtex Artixscan 120tf. I'm having problems with

Vuescan. It's taking an awful long time generating previews and

scanning pictures. Much longer than with Silverfast or Scanwizard. I'm

also having trouble controlling the preview area. With 6x7's it seems

to insist on starting the preview halfway into the first frame.

Are anyone successfully using Vuescan with this scanner? I've used

Vuescan for the last two years with four other scanenrs without any

major incidents, so I was surprised that it didn't work so well with

this one.

I too used Vuescan for several years with other scanners and was very happy with it.

Like you, I have been unable to get satisfactory results using it with the 120tf. I don't

recall a specific problem with framing the image in preview, but I had so many vexing

problems getting a good scan that I gave up on the Vuescan/120tf combo entirely and

started relying on the bundled Silverfast software. Silverfast produces such excellent

results on the 120tf for me that I no longer have any inclination to fiddle with Vuescan.

And, yes, Vuescan is MUCH slower on the 120tf than ScanWizard or Silverfast, but I

assume that's because the latter two are dedicated to that scanner, while Vuescan is

written to drive many scanners.

There is a bit of a learning curve when first encountering Silverfast, but ultimately I

found it to be the perfect answer to my problems with Vuescan & 120tf.

--Gordon

Hi, I am getting a MF scanner very soon, and the 120tf is my narrowest choice, the overall bundle seems to be very good. My next choice would be he Minolta multi pro or a used Imacon flextight photo.

Can you tell anything negative about the microtek so far except the Vuescan problem? How is sharpness of the scans, grain enhancement, and dust showing up easily?

I will scan 35mm and 6x6/ 6x7 negs, almost exclusively black and white stuff.

Thanks, Bernhard

Since I never scan B&W there isn't much I can say with respect to scanning performance

that would be germane to your situation.

With respect to holders & formats, I can say that the 35 mm holder is remarkably

effective and easy to use when scanning chromes in full frame Wess mounts. Couldn't

ask for anything better. With larger formats (I scan 645 & 6x7) I usually find it

necessary to use the optional glass holder, with which I am not so pleased. It does get

the job done, but getting the edges of the film to stay aligned with the holder's sides is

a time consuming nuisance. Despite my best efforts, I find myself looking at crooked

previews way too often.

I am very happy with this scanner's sharpness on chromes of all sizes (when the glass

holder is employed for MF film). I found MF scans produced by the Epson 3200 to be

too soft for my taste: the 120tf is in another league altogether (as is its price).

--Gordon